I have a question, perhaps a bit strange.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum I have a question, perhaps a bit strange.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    swhibley

Hello everyone, I have a question that perhaps you could answer for me…or at least I would appreciate it if you could.

I am looking into moving to Costa Rica, but I am wondering about the average age/country of origin of those foreigners currently living in Costa Rica. I know that there is a considerable American population; but what about Canadian or european? are most newly retired? 50+ age group? Did you all come from hot-spots like California or Florida before moving to Costa Rica? Are most of the foreigners living in Costa Rica (that you have met) part-time residents (escaping winter – as I am thinking about doing), or living there on a full time basis.

This may be a weird question, but I would certainly appreciate any insight.

With thanks,
    Steve

jasman

Do you post as “nimbus” on the ARCR board? That person posted a message yesterday asking about expat demographics. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m curious about the stats too.

swhibley

Nope that’s not me. However, do you think you could post the website for the ARCR board so that i can look at the replies that person gets. Aside from my curiosity about the demographics, i am really curious as to how these developers advertise their product. Is there a “house and homes” type magazine for Costa Rica that one could order? I am just surprised to hear that so many foreigners live there when i never see any advertising for the seemingly insurmountable properties to choose from.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The ARCR is a private association that has made mistakes like any other group of people…

Were they not the association that recommended to their retirees to invest their pensionado monies with Elca Bank which then went out of business?

Did they not have seminars where one of their speakers recommended setting up offshore structures with Marc Harris who was later convicted and sent to prison for 17 years “… for masterminding schemes to help two groups evade millions of dollars in U.S. taxes.”

Did they not have seminars where one of their speakers recommended investing in the “Brothers” which later imploded losing hundreds of millions of dollars?

Take recommendations from anyone by all means but, check, re-check and verify the facts for your self!

Scott

gg

Scott, is there a specific place you recommend to check out not only ARCR, but others offering help with relocation to CR? Is there a list that you have compiled for attorneys/notaries that you personally know?
    Seems like lots of folks want to “help” you move, but do they follow thru? Thanks, Gee Gee

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s one of those ‘what’s in it for me’ if I do “help” you scenarios?

Somebody can help you ‘relocate’ but how do they get compensated? It’s a LOT of work and most people moving to Costa Rica really aren’t willing to pay someone to help them with it…

Some real estate agents do a great job of helping people get relocated but understandably will only take the time to do that ‘if’ you buy a home through them.

It’s one of the reasons why we started WeLoveCostaRica.com to ‘try’ and give people enough information to help them relocate without any serious problems but of course every family has some kind of a unique challenge that needs resolving .

Just as a matter of interest, of someone was to help you with all your relocation needs, what would you be willing to pay someone to help you?

Scott

gg

I believe you get what you pay for….yes, I would pay for quality help. What I don’t know is what is a fair price or what is too much, or is it too little? Your right, each family will be different and have different needs, so prices will vary according to the needs.
    This forum and the whole WeLoveCostaRica site has been extremely helpful to us as we start the process. In fact, we have made mistakes already, but I THINK fortunate enough (with help from others, like yourself) to undo the mistakes and get on the right track. I am finding we just have to make somewhat of a “leap of faith” and trust a few that seem on the up and up. Most of the folks we are NOW dealing with have come from this site, your book, or from someone on the forums that have actually made the move. I did find a section in your book where we could check attorneys/notaries to see if they had suspensions.
    There are so many different sites and so many “experts”, it does get a bit confusing. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.