Hunting seasons are different in CR than MN

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Hunting seasons are different in CR than MN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    scottbenson

My wife (a Tica) yesterday commented about Hunting season in MN. She said that in the States men go together to hunt for deer and spend days in the woods.

In Costa Rica Ticos (married or not) get together and go to bars or beaches and hunt for Ticas!

wmaes47

Two legged deer huntin’. (Redneck slang spellinng I think)

I don’t know how the men get away with this cultural anomaly. There are several friends I have that I am friends with their spouses. There have been many occasions that these men do plan trips to circumvent the marital obligation and go huntin’.

It is a very difficult thing to understand. These wonderful spouses never say a word.

– Do you think they suspect or know?
    – Turn a blind eye?
    – Know what is going on and don’t care?
    – Where taught from birth that this is okay?

Scott Benson… What does your wife know and think about this extracurricular activity for Ticos (Gringos)?

Cheers
    Bill Maes

scottbenson

jaja, Bill

Well my mother in-law does accept it. She was married to her husband for 34 years and the amount of hunting he did until he reached his 70’s would have put most men to shame. She caught him a couple of times but always took him back. She tells me the reason is for the family and she would not want to divorce for that reason and she was in love with him.

Now many Americans would think that she might be a weak womon, and they would be dead wrong. My mother in-law endoured a history that would make most people cry. She lost her mother at birth (her mother was beaten because she was preganat with her, this in it self is even a longer story)was raised from her mothers aunt until she was eight. When she had to leave the home because her mothers family wanted to marry her off to a 30 year old Tico. She ended up living as a house maid for a rich land owner for 15 years until the tico of the house started to make advancements on her. My mother in-law grew up in San Ramon at this was 50 + years ago. How ever many events are still taking place like this in CR.

Yes they do know if there tico is on the prowl and might have a couple of girl friends. When I was dating my wife I met many of her friends. They would talk about how many Ticos were unfaithful and that was a problem. They also talked about how many ticos didn’t like to date higher educated women like my wife and her friends. The ticos would feel intimidated.

“were they taught from birth that this is okay”
    I just asked my wife this question and she said “yes and no” When her brothers got to be a certain age her father would encourage such behavior. He would encourage them to hunt for as many women before they married, of course the boys also read between the lines. We all know this as Mochoism. This is in the latin culture and many women just put up with this. If they really do love the man they will put up with it to a certain point.

GringoTico

There’s a flip side to this – Ticas cheating on husbands. This is also wide spread, although the repercussions if caught are probably greater. Machismo swings both ways.

Chip00

So who is renting a van and organizing a hunting trip?

Poker first?

Who is bringing the refreshments?

scottbenson

This is true about the flip side!

My other brother in-law the oldest was married to a women who he put thru collage. She was caught cheating, and he left the home. He paid the house and they do have a child together. How ever he remarried a couple of years ago and still goes on hunting trips. There is a double standard though because the ex wife is looked down upon for cheating on him.

She also really wanted to get back together with him because they do have a good relationship. She was willing to forgive the girl friends and he was not able to forgive her one time event.

Its funny because the first time that I went to Costa Rica my wife’s brothers wanted to take me out and show me the town. How ever my wife put her foot down and said no way unless she was able to go with us. I think she knew that they wanted to test me and see if I would follow their lead in the hunting activitys. Double standards yes! This is the culture and no one will change it.

*Lotus

Scott sounds like you have quite a colorful family situation down there. Maybe the makings of a costa rica reality show?

scottbenson

Yep this is just the tip of the ice berg. hahaha! It would be a good prime time show!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.