How oil prices affect travel & real estate prices

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How oil prices affect travel & real estate prices

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

When I left New York State in 1996, we were paying about US$10,000 per annum in property taxes on our home in Westchester County… Phew! Simply can’t imagine that now

Scott Oliver

maravilla

“Affluenza” is a great documentary that is shown periodically on LinkTV. Catch it if you can as it is a brilliant expose on the culture of consumerism. I know I shouldn’t complain about a thousand dollar tax bill — but sheesh, my house is only 950 sq ft!!! AND. . . I live in the boondocks, albeit the 6th richest county in America! Property taxes are the least of the reasons I’m bailing out — food costs is the main problem. Where I live food is more expensive than in Beverly Hills!!

*Lotus

I think a lot of americans think the civilized world stops at our borders. It’s to bad because a lot of folks who are living on a shoestring of a small pension or ss income could live quite well in CR. “To each his own said the farmer who kissed the cow”.

twesty

I do have to admit it is easy to get spoiled in the US. Even our poor live better than the majority of the worlds population. I bought property in Cost Rica and will be moving there when I retire. Partly it is because I can live comfortably there on my pension and SS but also I am looking for a simpler life and I’ve found that in CR. I’ve lived in LA for the last 40+ years, Have never liked it but it is where the job was and its easy to get stuck. Am really looking forward to retirement (hopefully this year) and getting to CR, building a house and enjoying the rest of my days.

dkt2u

Wow…only $1000 a year for property taxes…..where was that. We are actually living per month now on the same amount we paid monthly in property taxes and association fee on our 1 br condo in San Jose, Ca. The ones that simply flee another country for a cheaper cost of living are the ones that end up going back after a year or two. I think to make it work you first have to have an adventurous spirit, and most people really do not. The vast majority of people have never traveled outside their own country and we probably have all met the ones that have rarely if ever traveled outside their own state. That works for some people….they are the dreamers and the “I wish I coulders” Hmmm, is coulders a word… :o) I really don’t miss the ho ho’s and the ding dong’s……but Krispy Kreme’s…..that’s another story.

maravilla

If I had time to hit Esterillos this trip, I’d bring you a box of Krispy Kremes! LOL I love Esterillos; if I were to live near a beach it would be there. On another board not long ago a woman posted her announcement that she was going back home to the States; she’d had it with Costa Rica, then proceeded to list the main reasons she was unhappy and leaving. There were: It’s hot and humid; it rains a lot; there are too many bugs; and they speak Spanish! Where did she move in Costa Rica? The bloody jungle! I’ve lived all over the world, including the Yucatan and Mexico, as has my husband. We prefer a Latin culture, so CR to us is a slam dunk. But there are those people you mentioned who, when they get outside their comfort zone, completely lose their compass!

*Lotus

Now Krispy Kremes ..theres an idea for the new mall in Jaco!! Although Panchos pan makes a pretty good donut!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Another PERFECT example of why people need to do their homework THOROUGHLY BEFORE deciding to try living here… She didn’t appreciate that the beach was hot & humid or that Spanish was the most common language here – Jeez!

I had a strange email from someone about two weeks ago that was simply mind-boggling …

He had bought my book ‘How To Buy Costa Rica Real Estate Without Losing Your Camisa’, he said he had read and enjoyed it over a period of ten days and then emailed me asking me A: In what language could he find the word ‘Camisa’ and B: What did it mean?

I would have thought the title of the books mnight have given him a clue wouldn’t you?

Yours dumbfoundedly

Scott Oliver

maravilla

That Soviet-based program to dumb us down certainly has worked!! I’m always amazed when I hear stories like that. These are the people that should never leave the States. They belong there.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Oil is a physical substance and like most natural resources, it is limited in the amount that is available. We can not continue to use an increasing amount of oil every day without seeing it become more difficult to find and very much more expensive to extract.

For those of you who doubt the stories about “Peak Oil’ – You may wish to read the following article

Some of the very serious quotes to note would be:

“Exxon is saying the last year when we found more oil than we burned was 1987. So, the handwriting is on the wall that we are not finding it,” said Kenneth Deffeyes. He is the emeritus professor of geosciences at Princeton, a former Shell oil geologist, and author of two books in a growing list on the subject of peak oil.

According to a report commissioned by the Department of Energy, the peaking of conventional oil “& will cause protracted economic hardships in the United States and the world. It is a problem unlike any yet faced by a modern industrial society.”

One oil company, British Petroleum, has even moved to change its name. BP now means, Beyond Petroleum.

But it’s more than just our cars according to Senator Norm Coleman.

“You’re going to lose your job,” Coleman said. “You’re going to lose your ability to pay for heating when it’s very cold in Minnesota. We’re talking about catastrophic, we’re talking about, and I’m not a ‘the sky is falling’ kind of guy, but we’re talking about cataclysmic impacts upon the American economy.”

This is potentially the most cataclysmic event in the history of mankind which could shortly become the catalyst that helps cause BILLIONS of deaths yet, few people are talking it seriously.

When Exxon and BP are planning on a future with dramatically less oil, when Chevron CEO David O’Reilly announced, “The era of easy oil is over.” I would suggest we all make plans to protect our loved ones when this occurs.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.