How hard to find a little farm to rent?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How hard to find a little farm to rent?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dustymar

We are coming to Costa Rica this summer to see if it’s the place to retire (I’m so hoping it is). I’m wondering how hard it would be to rent a Tico-style small farm — very simple living, but a place where I could grow my food, and raise horses and goats (and who knows what else?) in the Central Valley.
    We’ll be mostly living on Social Security, so we’re not looking to buy a coffee plantation or a fancy place in a gated community. We currently teach ESL and would probably like to do some kind of volunteering in that area.
    I’ve looked on Craig’s list and a lot of the real estate sites, but I’m not finding what I feel really is available — I guess I just don’t know how to track it down.

bogino
    Participant

Besides Craigslist there are plenty of Real Estate brokers throughout the country. Some will be involved in rentals and some will not. Google for those RE Brokerage firms and contact them about your needs and you may get some responses that might be helpful. How is your Spanish? Some of the local publications which are targeted towards Tico’s would likely offer a better selection but you’ll need to understand Spanish.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am assuming that renting an operational farm would be extremely difficult but finding a rustic Tico home for rent with sufficient land where you can plant your crops probably should not be too complicated …

The Central Valley area would be most comfortable and you’ll probably find thew most affordable ares in the Los Santos areas… Or maybe San Isidro …

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”dustymar”]We are coming to Costa Rica this summer to see if it’s the place to retire (I’m so hoping it is). I’m wondering how hard it would be to rent a Tico-style small farm — very simple living, but a place where I could grow my food, and raise horses and goats (and who knows what else?) in the Central Valley.
    We’ll be mostly living on Social Security, so we’re not looking to buy a coffee plantation or a fancy place in a gated community. We currently teach ESL and would probably like to do some kind of volunteering in that area.
    I’ve looked on Craig’s list and a lot of the real estate sites, but I’m not finding what I feel really is available — I guess I just don’t know how to track it down.[/quote]

The first thing you must realize is that the real estate industry in Costa Rica is unregulated.
    [b]There are no licensing requirements for agents or brokers.[/b]
    Be very caerful in who you select to represent your interests as many of the agents have a responsibility to the seller.

On our arrival here in December 2007 we had the services of a very competent attorney who oversaw our interests in purchasing our one acre property and helping us through the immigration process.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Suggest you check out the Cartago which is the prime growing areaor up towards the Nueva Arenal areas for a small farm. Climate is better for growing veggies, and is moist enough to keep it watered.

Just because it is advertised as a ‘farm’ it doesn’t mean the soil is any good. Most [i]Ticos[/i] grow only corn for their animals and to make their [i]tortillas[/i], sugar cane, beans, plantains and some pepper plants, and not what North Americans consider is a garden.

Fighting with the huge variety of local insects causes many expats to give up.

In regards to raising animals, be careful as they may disappear, especially near Christmas…

Our horse and foal was stolen, but we did get the foal back. Now, none of our goats were ever taken 😉

Chances are that small farm properties will probably be [b]very[/b] basic.

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”dustymar”]We are coming to Costa Rica this summer to see if it’s the place to retire (I’m so hoping it is). I’m wondering how hard it would be to rent a Tico-style small farm — very simple living, but a place where I could grow my food, and raise horses and goats (and who knows what else?) in the Central Valley.
    I’ve looked on Craig’s list and a lot of the real estate sites, but I’m not finding what I feel really is available — I guess I just don’t know how to track it down.[/quote]

I think your BEST bet would be to move to an area you like and start asking around. The type of deal you are looking for is going to be easier to find by asking around than by ads or web sites imho.

If you speak Spanish that’s going to make it a LOT easier. If you don’t then find or make a bilingual friend in that area.

I know that in the San Ramon area there are Ticos who have houses for rent where you could grow food. Another area to look would be Puriscal. A lot of time the realtors in the area do know of such deals though there’s not much in it for them to help you but you might ask anyway.

If you speak Spanish just talk to everyone you see, at grocery stores, clothing stores, taxi drivers, etc. etc.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Another thing I remembered yesterday, that I forgot to add to my first post as the skies open and some of my plants were ‘flattened’ is that many here grow their ‘garden’ under cover, to avoid their bounty being ruined.

Doug Ward

Florencia, Chichagua, Valle Azul,down to near La Fortuna or
    Bijagua, Guatuso/Upala are good grow areas as are Turrialba-Cartago which are closer to the central chithole.
    There are places like Libano. Los Angeles de Tilaran, Cabanga and others that make good growing with reliable water but services are……welll…..’rustico’ at best.
    I wouldn’t have it any other way !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.