How does one celebrate Christmas in CR?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How does one celebrate Christmas in CR?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    George

Hello to everyone reading this post1
    I am an American getting ready to make my first trip to CR with my wife. We will be on a mission of mercy, our own we really can’t continue to live of Social Security here in the US.
    Anyway, my wife asked about how Christmas is celebrated in the CR, she is trying to plan on what do due with all her decorations? I told her she should start selling them on EBay and fast.

George B
    PS hi Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

Buenas tardes George

As you know, Costa Rica is predominantly a Catholic country and most non-tourist related businesses will come to a screeching halt on Friday the 15th December to begin the celebration of Christmas.

The ‘green season’ or ‘rainy season’ is coming to an end, the weather is windy and cool (for Costa Rica) in the Central Valley and families are planning their traditional family dinner to be held on Christmas Eve.

Although people will claim that everything is back to normal by the 6th January, the truth is that it’s the week after before anyone is seriously thinking about work…

For most holidays, a leg of pork is the choice of meat and will be accompanied by ‘tamales’ made from corn flour dough and stuffed with potatoes, vegetables, pork or chicken. This mix is then wrapped in the green leaves of the plantain and boiled.

The whole process of making the ‘tamales’ is a very traditional one, many members of the family are expected to help prepare the food and each family will have their own ‘twist’ on the traditional recipe.

It’s also beach time…

Many Costa Ricans will planning their trip to the beach sometime after Christmas to soak up the sun after the ‘green season.’

From Christmas to just after New Year, the roads to the Pacific are jam packed.

And don’t forget! We don’t say ‘Merry Christmas” to the Ticos, we say ‘Feliz Navidad’! And Happy New Year is ‘Feliz Año Nuevo.’

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

ssure

Hi George:

I suggest you ask your wife to hang on to those Christmas lights for a bit.

I was in a little village called Parismina last Christmas and they were having something that I think translated into “celebration of lights” or something like that. It was beautiful. The whole Christmas/New Years holiday season was like a big family party with tons of Christmas lights. They did things like gather on the beach at night and make a big fire.

There was something else happening around New Years (I think it was New Years) where some of the young men dressed up in scary costumes they made from plants and bark and things they could find around the village. They paraded down the streets of the village scaring the children. It was sort of like Halloween in Canada/US. I’ve been there a number of times so I might have this wrong but I’m almost sure that was around New Years. Does anyone know what that tradition is all about? I recall being told they do it every year.

Rick

GringoTico

Ticos celebrate Christmas primarily by building an extravagant “portal” (nativity scene), usually inside their home, going to church, eating apples and grapes, and gathering up the family for the marathon tamal preparation event. On Christmas day the tradition is for everyone to stop in and visit with everyone else. There may be small presents exchanged, but nothing like the massive gift mania in the States. The first Santa representation I ever saw there was back in the 80’s when they dressed up the Michelin Man atop the tire store.

The emphasis is squarely on family and religion, rather than consumerism.

wmaes47

The Ticos Celebration of Christmas starts Thursday 23 November, with many celebrations around the country. The actual celebration for the families starts that day, also. Ticos are excited about this time of celebration for the true meaning of Christmas.

A good celebration article is in today’s edition of AMCostaRica:
    http://www.amcostarica.com/

Merry Christmas
    Bill Maes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.