How do you get the Criminal Investigation Report

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How do you get the Criminal Investigation Report

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Need some help with this requirement. I contacted my CR consulate in the U.S. and they told me to get a state wide criminal investigation report. I asked how to do that , the young man didn´t know. So I contacted the State Police and they did a Criminal Investigation report based on my name and social.

When I contacted the consulate that I had recieved the report, the young man then told me that I can fax it along with my fingerprints. I had no idea the first time they wanted fingerprints. he also stated that when I do get the fingerprints and report it has to be certified by the secretary of state. I went to the secretary of state office and they didnt know how to help me.

Can anyone who has done this already , guide me through that particular process, and also let me know how long such a report is good for once I get it. I am not sure If I trust who I am speaking with at the consulate to guide me correctly.

I do understand once I get it , I have it certified by U.S. gov´t , then taken to the local consulate to authenticate it, then have it certified in C.R. at the Casa Amarilla , once it has been transalated by an authorized translator.

>Thanks

maravilla

Your local police department can fingerprint you on a form designed for that purpose. Did you have the police report notarized? That must be done first. Then and only then do you take it to the Ssecretary of State’s office for authentication — they will affix a form to your report that says the person who notarized it was authorized to do so. After that it goes to the CR consulate who will again authenticate that everyone who certified and authenticated your report was authorized to do so.

Charlie

No, what I have is a fingerprint card sent to me by the State Police , I haven´t done anything with it yet. So I assume I do not get this notarized and mail it back to the State police for a report to be done ?

I take this to the police station after getting it notarized, any notary ? Also does the police station give this back to me right there after the finger printing ? I don´t understand who actually does my backround check and where does it get submitted. Or am I reading into this too much and only need fingerprints done ?

Thanks again .

maravilla

You local police station will do a criminal computer search on you after which they will write a letter stating you are not a felon or have a criminal arrest record. It took us about 10 minutes to get this done. However, I would check with the CR consulate and ask THEM what they want you to do with the fingerprint card — submit it to the FBI or submit it to them to have Interpol run a check on you. I was fingerprinted in Costa Rica for my residency. Those fingerprints are then submitted to Interpol for a worldwide background check. The rules have changed in the last couple of months so maybe they are now requiring your fingerprints be submitted to the consulate here rather than getting them in Costa Rica. If they want you to get the clearance, you must be fingerprinted on the form which is then submitted to the FBI – Department of Justice in Virginia. send them $18.00 in a certified check or money order (they absolutely will not accept a personal check) and they will do a nationwide background check on you and if it is clear the back of the card will be stamped “has no criminal record.”

Your local police report must be notarized by the police department, by someone other than the person who signed the letter. They should be able to do it all right there and in fifteen minutes or less. Cost varies.

rf2cr
    Participant

Just finshed doing this process – went to local sheriff department had them run a criminal check, received notarized letter. Fingerprinting was done in San Jose, none locally.

Hope this helps –

Ruth

Marcia

Keep in mind that all your documents must be authenticated no earlier than 90 days prior to your application for residency in CR. Your police station should have a Notary Public and they should also have the equipment to fingerprint you. They have it for suspected criminals so why not for you?

roberta3a

Hello Charlie,

I am in this process already. All you need to do is visit your local police station and they can get the report, get you fingerprinted and get the documents notarized. The important thing – these documents can only be 3 weeks old ( per the CR Consulate here in Northern California) Once you have this information you take it to the CR Consulate in your state area and they will then need to translate it before they send it to CR immigration. There will be a fee.

Hope this helps.

Roberta

Marcia

Hi Roberta 3a, I’m also moving to Costa Rica, live in No. CA now, and want to apply for pensionado residency, please tell me where the CR Consulate is in Northern California? I live in a rural area and haven’t been able to find it. Mucho Gracias.

Marcia

I was told it was three months. You say three weeks. Which is it?

roberta3a

Hi Marcia,

UPDATE FROM NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COSTA RICA CONUSLATE – THIS MORNING

I called the consulate this morning and talked to Lia – the last two times I talked to 2 different people.

This is what Lia told me we need to do before we submit any info to the Northern California Consulate – and we can submit info by mail so they have time to review.

1. The Certified Birth Certificates we got have to be certified by the Secretary of States office in CA – the seal that is on the bottom of the birth certificates will not do. She gave me the telephone number to call in Sacramento – 916-653-3598.

She said to send the Birth Certificate to the Secretary of States office for authentication – they will issue a certificate and staple it to the birth certicate. Once this have been done this document is complete.

You have 6 months on this document.

2. The Non Criminal Report – you have to get this report from your local police department and have them notarize it. This document then has to be sent to the Secretary of States office to be authenticated.
    The Secretary of States office is essentially authenticating the Notary Public and the non criminal report.

3. You will need to get a letter from the Social Security Administration that you qualify for Social Security for X amount of dollary per month. That letter has to be Notarized as well by a Notary Public.

Once all these documents are done – send them to Lia and they then translate the documents and send them on to Costa Rica Immigration.

I told her that what I was told and she said that they realize there is mis-information out there and she gave me this web site:
    http://www.costarica-embassy.org. This is the official web site and has this information on it.

Again, she told me that we have 6 months to do this.

I am coming into Costa Rica the end of this month for a tour that is aimed at people who want to move to Costa Rica. This tour is put on by the Association Residents Costa Rica, of which I am a member. I’ll be back on February 6 and will let you know what I find out there.

I tried to call the Sacrament number for the Secretary of States office this morning, but go no answer. Will try again and let you know what instructions they give.

Roberta

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.