How do the Nicas do it?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How do the Nicas do it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

The topic about leaving and entering Costa Rica with less than a 90 day visa got me wondering how the Nicaraguans do it? My gardener has not left in more than a year. Does he simply hide out and hope immigration does not bother him? He has been with me for years and goes back to Nicaragua at least once a year and has been doing this for about 5 years.

He uses his passport and does not have a cedula so I know he does not have residency.

You know the Costa Rican border with Panama is completely unfenced. You can walk across from one country to another just like crossing the street in front of your house.

So you could fly to Panama and easily enter Costa Rica at any time if you were ever denied entry here.

Hmmmm….

guru

They are like being a WASP in the U.S. They pass for locals so no one asks. But they also live in an entirely underground economy as do many Mexicans in the U.S. They work jobs where people pay cash and do not report taxes.

This becomes a form of economic and legal slavery. They cannot apply for government benefits so they pay cash for medical treatment. They cannot complain about their pay or working conditions else they may get turned in. The employer does not have to do the paperwork for taxes, insurance, workman’s compensation. . .

Why “legal” slavery, because at least in the U.S. (but also in other places) it is allowed to happen. Big corporations LIKE low wages. And all it takes is a small but significant percentage of workers that will take sub-standard wages to drop the wages of ALL. When big corps are happy so is the government. . . Individuals also enjoy cheaper goods, so we let economic slavery exist.

People say the illegals do jobs nobody else wants. THAT is a lie. The illegals do jobs at wages citizens can not afford. Did you know that with housing cost 10x what it did to build in the 1970’s that carpenters, masons, plasters and painters earn HALF in uncorrected dollars than they did 40 years ago.

Its the same in Costa Rica. The big growers like the cheap labor. . . so there is pressure to NOT enforce the law.

camby

[quote=”guru”]They are like being a WASP in the U.S. They pass for locals so no one asks. But they also live in an entirely underground economy as do many Mexicans in the U.S. They work jobs where people pay cash and do not report taxes.

This becomes a form of economic and legal slavery. They cannot apply for government benefits so they pay cash for medical treatment. They cannot complain about their pay or working conditions else they may get turned in. The employer does not have to do the paperwork for taxes, insurance, workman’s compensation. . .

Why “legal” slavery, because at least in the U.S. (but also in other places) it is allowed to happen. Big corporations LIKE low wages. And all it takes is a small but significant percentage of workers that will take sub-standard wages to drop the wages of ALL. When big corps are happy so is the government. . . Individuals also enjoy cheaper goods, so we let economic slavery exist.

People say the illegals do jobs nobody else wants. THAT is a lie. The illegals do jobs at wages citizens can not afford. Did you know that with housing cost 10x what it did to build in the 1970’s that carpenters, masons, plasters and painters earn HALF in uncorrected dollars than they did 40 years ago.

Its the same in Costa Rica. The big growers like the cheap labor. . . so there is pressure to NOT enforce the law.[/quote]

for residents/citizens, it drives down wages, for the “illegal” immigrant, it means living in shadows and off grid, sometimes good, unless one has a family, chidlren, needs medical,etc……but what do I know, since in criticizing my own people, I am now a labelled “hater’ and “racist”:shock:

smekuly

Guru

you speak as if “life is fair”

when in fact it is NOT

camby

[quote=”smekuly”]Guru

you speak as if “life is fair”

when in fact it is NOT[/quote]

true dat!
    none the less, injustice and oligarchs still piss me off……I mind my own, so should others…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.