How do i get a big green egg to Jaco?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How do i get a big green egg to Jaco?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hcannon

I want a medium big green egg at my condo in jaco costa rica.

it weighs 100 pounds, 70 is the airline limit and the box is a total of 67 inches, 5 more than the airlines will allow.

any suggestions?

thanks
    henry

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well ‘hcannon’ this is definitely a “first!”

Based on my very limited ‘eggsperience’ in this field it sounds to me like it’s not a “medium big green egg” but definitely a big “medium big green egg!”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. As many of you know, I was born in Scotland so you might like this one:

A Scotsman and an Englishman lived next door to each other.

The Scotsman owned a hen and each morning he would look in his garden and pick up one of his hen’s eggs for breakfast.

One day he looked into his garden and saw that the hen had laid an egg in the Englishman’s garden. He was about to go next door when he saw the Englishman pick up the egg.

The Scotsman ran up to the Englishman and told him that the egg belonged to him because he owned the hen.

The Englishman disagreed because the egg was laid on his property.

They argued for a while until finally the Scotsman said, “In my family we normally solve disputes by the following actions: I kick you in the testicles and time how long it takes for you to get back up. Then you kick me in the testicles and time how long it takes for me to get up. Whoever gets up quicker wins the egg.”

The Englishman agreed to this and so the Scotsman put on the heaviest pair of boots he could find. He took a few steps back, then ran toward the Englishman and kicked him as hard as he could in the testicles.

The Englishman fell to the floor clutching his groin, howling in agony for 30 minutes.

Eventually the Englishman stood up and said, “Now it’s my turn to kick you.”

The Scotsman smiled and said, “Ye can keep the damn egg!!”

PPS. When you arrive at the airport with your egg on your trip to Costa Rica for goodness sake, make sure you take the right ‘eggs-it’ to get to your gate…

PPPS. Sorry! But as you have probably guessed by now, I have no bloody idea how to get that big green egg to Costa Rica….

Anybody else got some sensible suggestion? Or some even worse egg jokes?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have just been informed that the “medium big green egg” is a barbecue and it looks like an awesome BBQ too … I want one…

[ http://www.biggreenegg.com/ ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

hcannon

we will get 2 if you can figure the best way to get them to CR.
    Lisle Head said use Jetbox?
    Will check that out Wednesday.
    Do you have lump charcoal in CR?
    We may have to send that over too

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have an account at JetBox and will ask for you tomorrow since I have to visit anyway…

Do you still have the purchase receipt from when you bought it? If so please tell me how much you paid for it and confirm the weight INCLUDING all package materials?

Scott

ardenbrink

Hi, Henry,

If I could ask, WHERE is this medium big green egg at the moment? I’m wondering if it might work to put it in one of our shipping containers? It wouldn’t be the *fastest* way to get it here, but it would be safe and WAY cheaper than something like Aerocasillas or JetBox. We have containers loading up in the Los Angeles area and in Savannah soon, or just possibly I could get it included with someone else’s stuff if I knew where you were and if you were flexible about when you shipped it. Just a thought…

You could contact me via this site: shipping@welovecostarica.com

Hope that helps!

Arden Rembert Brink
    Ship Costa Rica

hcannon

The Egg can be bought in most any state. Here is an update.
    The small BGE is 60 in and 70 #, so i could take it on a airline.
    Question is now….. will CR let me in the country with the BGE.
    Can I get thru customs?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

This thing is a charcoal barbeque, right? If yes, you should have no problem getting it through Customs. You might have to pay some import duty on it, but it won’t be too much.

If this thing is new in its original box, you should check with the airline about whether or not they’ll accept it. Seems like last time we flew the airline would only accept actual luggage as checked baggage and this thing won’t qualify as a carryon. Maybe I’m mistaken.

sueandchris

hcannon: Funnily enough, I just SOLD a medium Big Green Egg because I thought the sucker was too heavy and unwieldy to ship in my container next summer. PLUS, like you, I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to find lump charcoal in Costa Rica after taking the trouble to get that wonderful behemoth there. Sigh……there is nuthin’ like an Egg.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I’m not sure just what you guys are referring to as “lump charcoal”, but charcoal briquets (a la Kingsford) are available here.

Sue and Chris, absent something inordinately heavy like a big machine tool or a collection of landscaping boulders, weight is not a consideration in your container. You’re paying for the container and whatever it’ll hold. When we shipped ours, we were told that even putting a car in a container won’t change the cost. It’s a flat rate full or empty. We brought a small safe and plenty of folks have brought appliances, tons of books, table saws, etc.

hcannon

O.K. Here is where i am presently. I called Continental and asked. As long as the box meets the 62″ requirement and is not over 70# then you can send it as a piece of checked luggage. The small BGE is 60″ and weighs real close to 70# in the box. I have contacted BGE for the exact weight in case Continental has there finger on the scale. Because it is less than $500 and I have a receipt to prove that, I should be able to declare it at customs and not pay anything extra. I can only assume I can carry a bag of lump charcoal in a duffle bag as checked luggage also. Lump is different from Kingsford. It burns hotter and slower. If you like to cook you have to check out the BGE !

ardenbrink

So, if a *small* BGE meets your needs, sounds like you’re all set! Just to add a last bit of info to this discussion, I wanted to confirm and even emphasize the comment made about weight not being important in a shipping container. From my own experience this is really something many folks don’t realize — it’s virtually impossible to exceed the weight limit of a container with household goods — not with vehicles, tools, heavy antiques, cast iron furniture, stone garden sculptures, grand pianos, tractors, etc. It’s just NOT an issue. Really, truly.

Henry — if you’re really longing for a larger than small BGE and can ship it to Savannah in the next few days or L.A. in the next couple of weeks, you’ve got a reasonably priced option for getting it here. Put a bunch of lump charcoal in there, too. Sue — too bad you sold yours, after reading about it they looked pretty cool!

–arden–

countdown

As a long time BGE user (Big Green Egg), and having originally gotten a medium, I can confirm that the “big” one is the smallest I’d consider. It’ll smoke, grill, or darn near fire-blast (up to 800F.) enough food for a good sized party (or family). It isn’t much heavier than the medium but cooking surface is bigger.

Ours came down in our container, so if you’re shipping (via surface) weight isn’t an issue (as prior poster noted.)

Actually, we find more non-briquet charcoal here than briquet, and usually cheaper. In many cases it is lumber, just like much of the hardwood charcoal in the States.

So if you’re really bringing one, and shipping surface, make it a big one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.