How do I find a good maid in Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How do I find a good maid in Costa Rica?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pernille

Hi, my husband and I have just moved from Panama to San Jose, and have rented a house in Escazu. I have searched this “chat forum” for any information regarding how to find a good trustworthy maid, but could not find anything. I am not looking for a fulltime live-in maid, just one who can come clean, do the ironing etc.twice a week. Also any good suggestions on how best to make new friends here 😉 Thanks, Pernille

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s going to be difficult for you to find a part-time part-timer 🙂

To find a maid though you could try a maids broker that we have used successfully – Her name is Virgina Alfaro – Tel 231-5140 296-7590

She charges a finder’s fee to find you a maid but gives you a guarantee that’s something along the line of ‘if you’re not happy after three months, she’ll find you another with no additional fee.’

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

alachner

I don’t have anything against Nicaraguans, but make sure that whoever you hire is from Costa Rica. We have hired plenty of Nicaragua maids over the years and have had some pretty nasty experiences with a few exceptions here and there. I back up Scott’s advice on using a maids broker. If all fails, put an ad in La Nacion Classifieds.

jenny

Your local church, yes the community church. They usually have people that are looking for work. Some house wives that have grown children and want something to do for an income. You can check with your local community of ministers or priest.

Stay away from women that can get pregnant. That sounds crazy but you have to pay for non work time. I’ve always hired women in their 40’s most who have grown children. They are far better workers and more reliable. They have less of an opportunity to be hired.

The country a person comes from or does not come from is no guarantee of having a good quality worker. Some workers of other countries seem to work harder and are more dedicated. They really need the job and are welling to work.

jmhardy

Since you’re living in Escazu with lots of other English speakers, I think your best bet would be to talk to some of your neighbors, people you meet at local restaurants, etc. Doesn’t guarantee anything, but at least you’ll have spoken to people who have actual experience with the people they recommend….

kimyoa650

alachner,

what were your nasty experience with maids?

thanks.

kimyoa

teresa

Hi Pernille:
    Looking at your name , I wonder if you are danish or some sort of Scandinavian ??. My name is Teresa and my husband’s is Ulf from Danmark.
    My made has a sister who is looking for a job like that, part time and I can reccomend her because they are ver good people from Nicaragua, honest and hard working persons. If you are interested just send me an email to ulfito20@hotmail.com and we can speak about it. I live in Escazú.

alachner

kimyoa650, my bad experiences were mostly theft.

Pernille

Hi everyone, I have now got a very good maid (thanks to Teresa, who at the same time has become a friend :-)), I have also had my car serviced by Mauricio Artavia “the best mechanic in CR” (thanks to Scott). So I just want to say thanks to Scott for this great website :-)And thanks to all of you who took time to reply me.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Teresa

My emails to you are being returned for some reason. Don’t know if you received my email asking for your article and photos in a different format? I would like to use it ….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.