How come turkeys and geese are not

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How come turkeys and geese are not

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bandera

familiar to Costa Rica, Ticos and Ticas? I did have a turkey and they didn’t know how to cook it.
    This is a brain twister for David , Scott and the rest of you.
    Happy Thanksgiving to those of you that remember what that is.
    Stan
    Bandera Beach Estates

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Turkeys, geese, and hams are not part of the traditional Costa Rican menu due to the fact that, until fairly recently, many homes did not have refrigerators. Whatever you cook for a given meal must either be consumed at that meal or preserved for later consumption. What would one do with the rest of a turkey, say, if you didn’t eat it all at one sitting? This is also why many other foodstuffs are sold in small quantities and why you can’t buy ostrich here.

The foregoing is purely conjecture.

maravilla

i bought an 18 pound champipi for thanksgiving. got it from my local pipasa dealer. it is a homegrown turkey, not one of the importados that is injected with all kinds of chemicals and preservatives. who knows what it’s going to taste like, but there ARE turkeys in Costa Rica — usually called pavo in spanish, but the local word for them is champipi!

costaricafinca
    Participant

I know there is a ‘joke’ in this post, somewhere, but I don’t have the answer.
    But, as mentioned in the ‘egg post’ there are Turkeys here. We only have a female now, and a friend bought a pair for breeding then feasting, but can’t bring himself to eat his ‘buddy’!

maravilla

the joke is the word champipi — who the hell thought up that???? i’ve been saying it to myself ever since the pipasa dude corrected me what i asked to order a pavo. jejeje

aguirrewar

I think it is “CHOMPIPE” and over a decade ago while in a visit to CR I was invited to prepare one. It started with grabbing the chompipe by the neck and opening his beack and pouring a bottle of “guaro”, release the bird and watch him until he colapses from the massive intoxication.

Then you prepare him in order to be cooked. Up until this day a remember that scene. A drunk chompipe.

Warren

maravilla

thank goodness mine was already dead when i got it. my neighbors bought an imported turkey that was loaded with all kind of chemicals listed on the exterior bag. my champipe lists nothing as additives — so can i assume that they don’t inject these birds with sodium phosphates and other nasty things??

orcas0606
    Participant

That’s for sure!!!!!

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Turkeys, geese, and hams are not part of the traditional Costa Rican menu due to the fact that, until fairly recently, many homes did not have refrigerators. Whatever you cook for a given meal must either be consumed at that meal or preserved for later consumption. What would one do with the rest of a turkey, say, if you didn’t eat it all at one sitting? This is also why many other foodstuffs are sold in small quantities and why you can’t buy ostrich here.

The foregoing is purely conjecture.[/quote]

Bandera

Same answer for Geese?
    Stan

costaricafinca
    Participant

But what about the many Tico’s who slaughter a cow or pig for meat for a fiesta? Can you imagine trying to eat that in a day, without refrigeration ….
    Both a [i]lot bigger[/i] than any turkey I have seen 😆

orcas0606
    Participant

Maybe the reason Ticos don’t know how to cook turkeys is because, unless homegrown, until a few years ago they were not readily available. Pierna de cerdo or lechon were quite popular among the more well off for Navidad, ticos don’t celebrate Thanksgiving. Maybe the only place you could get a goose was on avenida central.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Personally, I would think they don’t cook turkey, or goose is that most Tico’s don’t have or have but don’t use, ovens. One reason, cake shop and bakeries are very popular. Most use the 2-3 gas top rings.
    I still don’t think this is the answer Stan is looking for…:roll:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.