How can I get help with a contractor who did no work after we paid?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How can I get help with a contractor who did no work after we paid?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cher1959

We paid a contractor over $3000 (US dollars) to do Repairs to our home that got robbed of everything back in 2012.

My husband met with him at the finca back in January and paid him for these repairs. We are now back in the states and our attorney will not do anything unless we pay him more.

We have lost over $400K (our entire retirement) on this home and are throwing good money at bad. The home was a beautiful finca when we left and people we left in charge stole everything from us.

The contractor has told us (via e-mails) that he has done all the repairs, but we found out he has done nothing.

Is there somewhere we can turn? Is there an agency that fines or takes away the license of dishonest contractors? He has even sent us e-mails lying that he reattached the electrical (we paid him extra for that too).

We are not ignorant people and HAVE to be able to repair the house, but cannot trust anyone to do the work. Meanwhile the home remains unlivable and our hands are tied.

Being in another country we are forced to just worry and be taken advantage of. This is a crime and we are honest hard working people.

I cannot believe the Ticos would lie and steal like this, especially how well we treated them while in CR.

Is there anyone out there that has an idea? PLEASE HELP.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sorry to hear of your situation.
    Do you have insurance on the property?
    Trying to get the work done after the fact, could be impossible. Your husband should return to see first hand, what, if any, work has been done.
    As it has been said, many times, you need to get someone you trust to live in your home, when you are absent. Unfortunately, you thought you had that ‘person’.

I don’t understand, though, when you state “We have lost over $400K”?

Maybe the best thing would be to try and sell ‘as is’…if you don’t intend to live there, full time.

So sorry:( What a frustrating situation. I wish I had more to offer but to say I’m sorry this happened. Maybe you can make an alternate arrangement and let someone live there at no cost for a few months if they will do the repairs for you? What area is the property in?

costaricabill
    Participant

There are a couple of builders and inspectors on this site that appear to be reputable individuals and may be able to lend a hand – for a fee.

It would be extremely helpful if you could tell us where your property is located.

I know you are frustrated, upset, disappointed and p*^sed off,but your email seems to be less than totally informative……..

[b]We paid a contractor over $3000 (US dollars) to do Repairs to our home that got robbed of everything back in 2012. [/b]
    what did you pay him to do?

[b] My husband met with him at the finca back in January and paid him for these repairs. We are now back in the states and our attorney will not do anything unless we pay him more. [/b]
    had the contractor already “done these repairs” or (sorry) were you foolish enough to pay him in advance, and
    when did the attorney get involved, who much did you pay him to do what and what did you hire him to do?

[b] We have lost over $400K (our entire retirement) on this home[/b]
    how?

[b] and are throwing good money at bad. The home was a beautiful finca when we left and people we left in charge stole everything from us.[/b]
    I am not asking you to answer these statements, but ……

[b] The contractor has told us (via e-mails) that he has done all the repairs, but we found out he has done nothing.[/b]
    again, what did you hire him to do, was there a contract, etc.

[b] Is there somewhere we can turn? Is there an agency that fines or takes away the license of dishonest contractors? He has even sent us e-mails lying that he reattached the electrical (we paid him extra for that too). [/b]
    that is a legal question that is above my pay grade

[b] We are not ignorant people and HAVE to be able to repair the house, but cannot trust anyone to do the work. Meanwhile the home remains unlivable and our hands are tied. [/b]
    unfortunately, I’ll have to let those statements stand on their own!

VictoriaLST

Have to file a denuncia or demanda with the police or OIJ

Savannahjo

This is a difficult position to try and resolve if you are doing it remotely. Even if you get a great attorney, being there and politely driving the process, in my opinion, is the only way to go….

costaricabill
    Participant

I think people are trying to help you, offering very good suggestions – but as far as I can see you still haven’t identified where the property is located. That is the first step in getting local help and support.

You can tell us WHERE, but don’t say WHO because of the CR libel and slander laws…. it may well be true but don’t mention WHO on the web!

costaricabill
    Participant

I think people are trying to help you, offering very good suggestions – but as far as I can see you still haven’t identified where the property is located. That is the first step in getting local help and support.

You can tell us WHERE, but don’t say WHO because of the CR libel and slander laws…. it may well be true but don’t mention WHO on the web!

VictoriaLST

Actually, once you file a demanda or denuncia, you can tell anyone you want. – That is the opinion of an attorney. You are not slandering anyone, just stating a fact.

Once the paperwork is filed, you just say “We have filed a demanda against Mr. Brown at Brown and Company for fraud.” Then stop talking.

Check out my page on FB – Denuncias Para Nuevo Arenal – pictures and names of bad guys. FB Coco Crime Watch has a similar page.

Sorry to hear that. This is what I think.
    1) if you file a law suit against the burglar, you will have to prove that they did what you say they did. You will need a good attorney, he will cost you a lot of money and it can take 10 years, with no guarantee that the judge will rule in your favor.
    2) don’t bother to sue your contractor, the attorney will cost you another junk of money. Just don’t use him any more and warn you friends/neighbors.
    3) for future repairs etc. you need a reliable person/property manager who in my opinion should not be a Tico. There are good Ticos out there but “when the cat is gone the mice dance on the table”. This person/property manager should oversee any work and repairs done to you home during your absence. We are providing this service at Lake Arenal and we are working with reliable and honorable contractors.

in this case, the answer is to dole out money as work progresses and to never just hand it all over up front? and to be on site as work is to be done . . .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.