Hose Bibs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Hose Bibs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    crlw

Will american shower heads, garden hoses, hookups for ice makers, etc. work in Costa Rica or should we buy there when we move.

Thanks
    Chris and Louise

Imxploring
    Participant

Shower heads were no problem… most plumbing is compatable… and if not you’ll find what you need at the local hardware store in CR! I did find that the hose valves (outside) were a bit leaky… never could get the hose on right…I bought 4 at Home Depot and brought them down with me!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Right, U.S.-source showerheads, handheld showers, garden hoses, etc will fit locally available hardware. One exception is an American dishwasher. The way the plumbing is done here, one must buy an adapter to make things work and they’re not commonly available. So when you buy a dishwasher, insist that the adapter be included. If the salesperson gives you a blank look, go elsewhere.

Most garden hoses here are crap. They’re almost all half-inch vs. five-eights, and cheap. They kink, burst, and even when intact don’t deliver much water. And they’re expensive. Bring a bunch of the best hoses Lowe’s or Home Depot has to offer. If you don’t want them, someone will.

If you’re plumbing for a washing machine, I’d look in the U.S. for those connections, too. One feature available is a connection for hot and cold water that involves an electric switch. Only when the washer is calling for electricity can the water flow.

And, on that subject, I’d bring burst-proof washing machine hoses, too. Many of the ones that come with washers are poor quality; they’re better only than what’s available locally. Bring some good ones and avoid a future problem.

Charlie

To get an idea of price , you can find at Hipermas , when in stock, U.S. made hose , Green Thumb No Kink Hose , it´s 25 ft. 5/8th for just under $13, all other hoses are junk.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.