Hiring locals

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Hiring locals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gzeniou

Hi,

We are looking to open a branch office in Costa Rica and need to hire a local that can speak and write English, the job is to support our office in the states (everything will be done via internet). We need to do things by the book, thus we will pay at least the min. stated by Costa Rica plus the 31% for the CAJA.

My question is, does anyone know how to recruit such locals that we can interview for this position? Is there a good source such as Craiglist or newspaper we should advertise in? the location is Atenas.

oh, I know there is a craiglist for CR but not much in office jobs are posted there.

Thanks!

F.A Skippy

I’d recommend contacting the U of CR business dept and ask if they could have some recent grads fairly fluent in English to contact you for interviews.
    The business degree here is thorough.They have a really good program. That’s the type of kid you want.
    Every Tico kid that speaks English will tell you about his ” expertise”….in everything.
    Get one with papers.:wink:

wspeed1195

and even with a pedigree you can’t be too careful.

jenny

In my community and in many of the communities we have Costa Ricans who worked in the US for a lot of years doing administrative work. They know the system, customs and how to work with Americans. Plus these people will have referrances that you will be able check with companies they worked for in the USA. I think if you just put an ad in the local news paper people will respond. Here in Grecia we have a lot of people with just such qualifications. No salary wise, you may want to reconsider what you are offering to get the best. Right now getting qualified people in Costa Rica with a good command of the English language is very competitive with the competition coming from many N. American companies hiring in CR>

gzeniou

Yes will try the local paper.

We actually did put one ad online and got a resume that had the applicant’s picture, her age, birthday, height and weight on it, etc. We have done a lot of interviews and seen many resumes before but nothing like this, perhaps its a culture thing. I’m thinking, we should take some kind of class or something to get familar more with the culture and the work norms.

jenny

Perhaps it is not that you need to get more familiar with the culture but perhaps you need to look at your ad. The wording may not have been translated correctly. Most resumes that I’ve read here are not written exactly the same as resumes in the US but they are similar.

I’d look at rewording the ad, if you did not get many responses it may be becausw of what you are saying. Please send me privately your job announcement, there are a lot of people very well qualified with skills in Technology, Engineering, Administration and Computer Science, who are looking for jobs. Those who speak English are in high demand. There are several young professionals that belong to my facebook page and I can post your job announcement on my facebook page.

F.A Skippy

As I stated. Get in touch with the director of the business dept. and ask for a recent grad. Preferably a girl…..OK young woman.
    I’ve done this movie.
    THAT is the way you get quality help that wants to understand YOUR culture……………Vice versa. A gringo can learn the ropes from the right kid.
    Leave the superiority complex in the bodega.
    Go with the flow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.