help with trip

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum help with trip

• This topic has 1 reply, 8 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by fcr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fcr

Hi list,
    In late May I am going to take a trip to CR and planning to visit both coasts looking for residence or building lot. I am staying at a hotel in SJ. My question is, how long does it take to reach both coasts from SJ in real time?
    Any advice as to best value in SJ hotels?
    Any advise as to renting a medium-size car?
    Any advice? Period
    Many thx
    Frank

jimliesen122

FCR, Please take a look through this forum. ALL of your Q’s and MANY RELATED ones you haven’t asked yet have been answered IN DEPTH and from VARIOUS POSTERS ALREADY. I wish you luck in your trip and your quest for a lot… I suggest you’ll find it IMPOSSIBLE to search the place in just one trip – it all looks great on the first trip. Thing is, the more you look, the better it gets and the cheaper it gets!!! The other thing is, that if you make the excuse, er, reason that it’ll take more research to find the PERFECT spot, you’ll get to go more frequently!!!!

dwaynedixon

The closest coast is 2.5 hours give or take a few minutes. I think all of the coast are within 6 hours.

*Lotus

closer to 1.5 hours from San Jose to Jaco.

twesty

3 hours from San Jose to Limon and anouther hour to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. The road to Limon is good but have been held up in the mountains by an accident for half an hour. The last few miles to Puerto Viejo is gravel road, very rough.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Geographic Note: When I looked at the climatic data for coastal areas, it reflected consistently hot and humid weather all year. By contrast, the Central Valley, where about 75% of the population lives, has many climatic regions ranging from hot and humid to downright chilly.

It all depends upon altitude. The higher you go the cooler it will be.

*Lotus

The central Pacific near Jaco has very pleasant evenings and mornings. It’s really only the afternoons that get very, very hot and that’s most of the year. It is much different say from Florida(South) where from say march through September it is unbareable 24hours a day. I was happily surprised at the pleasant weather in this region. Certainly though this area is NOT for those who prefer a cooler climate!

dkt2u

WE live in Esterillos Oeste on the pacific side. It’s 2.5 hours at most from the airport. We are just 22km south of jaco. The weather is great most of the time. Rainy season will be starting, but typically it’s sunny during the day and starts clouding up in the late afternoon. Temps right now are about 80 to 85, but fairly pleasant.

jughead

Hola Frank,

We just returned from CR the last week of Feb. Stayed a the Best Western Erazu just west of SJ and 10 minutes from thr airport. After 11 days we drove to the Best Western in Jaco and it took us right at 2 hours and 10 minutes including a Coke/rest break of 10 minutes at Atenas enroute. Made all reservations from US and everything went smoothly. Erazu has a free continental breakfast and if you want a regular breakfast with meat etc. they credit your bill by the amount of your chit for the continental. They also have a free happy hour from 5 to 6 every evening. Jaco has a free continental breakfast and have a discounted (2fers) happy hour.

Both places were very nice and clean with very courteous folks. At Joco, request the side of the complex that has elevators. (our lesson learned)

Ben

PS: We went during the dry season and you should get better rates than we did.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.