Help is the Political Climate Changing in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Help is the Political Climate Changing in CR

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vegasknite

I am in love with Costa Rica and I have been for years. I planned to make my move there this coming year. I am a 51 year old American man who is disabled. I will have the money needed to buy a condo and also have my social security monthly disability income to live on. So I figured I had it all figured out. But now I am having some second thoughts and would appreciate feed back on my concerns from people that live in Paradise/Costa Rica.

My biggest concern is crime followed very closely by the political climate in Central, South and Latin America as a whole. What influences The Cuban, Government along with David Ortega Ravaardre and Hugo Chavez will have on the Political climate in Costa Rica both short and long term. The stability of the Costa Rican government is one of the major draws for me, as well as the Tico people and the way I found myself treated by them during my visits. It saddens to me think that may change by outside influences. Having grown up in NYC and now living in Las Vegas, I can deal with normal petty crime avoiding being a victim through my awareness of my surroundings. I don’t believe any amount of awareness can protect anyone from organized youth gangs or political thugs sent to disrupt the peace. While I recognize this isn’t a major issue today, I am looking over the next 5 years and what may be coming before I invest my life savings into a home in a place that may have instability on the horizon. I hope this isn’t read as a gringo seeing the sky is falling but, rather the questions of someone who doesn’t know and is basing his questions and concerns on several news paper reports.

Please share your insights and opinions as soon as possible since I would like to make my move by the end of February. I haven’t slowed my plans down and won’t slow down based on a news report that may very well never happen. But I will rent rather than buy while I am watching the events unfold in either manor. I know what I saw as crime in Costa Rica and I believe it is blown way out of proportion in the press. While a minority of people may break the law there I didn’t see it to be anywhere as bad as one is lead to believe it is. A tourist shouldn’t walk on the back side of the Stratosphere in Vegas due to the drug user high crime location neither should a Tourist venture in areas of San Jose after dark. When traveling anywhere in the world one should be protective of their luggage, wallet, camera and so fourth be leery in airports and bus terminals. So I am fine with the crimes I read about like those. Allow me to rephrase I am not fine with any crime and I wish we could live in a world without criminals but, I can live with the crimes mentioned above.

In closing I would like to thank you in advance for your help and I would also like to wish everyone who reads this a Happy Healthy New Year.

Steven Schindler
    e-mail vegasknite@aol.com

*Lotus

Costa Rica did fine when Ortega and others were at there worst. It appears that Nicaragua will continue on the path of development it has been on anyway. Also with all the foreign investment from Walmart, HP etc..and a stable democratic government I think all will continue to be well. Just my two cents…

scottbenson

I guess Vegas you should ask has Costa Rica changed in the past because of political upheavals from their neighbors from the north or the south?

I would have to say no, this is why during past events Costa Rica had floods of people coming to Costa Rica. Costa Rica has and will be a stable government because of the practice of democracy. As for the crime issue I know that when I see the news in Minnesota and see a homicide almost every day I believe Costa Rica dose not have problems like in the U.S. You must ask your self do you feel safe in Vegas? What I hear from the gossip is Vegas is a pretty bad place to live! Again this is all perception and maybe there is no truth!

I also have had the opportunity of traveling parts of Europe and Africa in the last three weeks and I can say that I would feel much safer walking in the middle of San Jose with a $100.00 hanging out of my pocket than in Frankfurt Germany, Tibias Republic of Georgia or any of the other major cities in countries that I have seen in the last three weeks.

maravilla

I’d worry more about the political instability of the US before I worried about Costa Rica. Who knows what evil lurks for us now that Saddam has been hanged. Petty crime is everywhere so if you take precautions you should be fine — Vegas isn’t exactly the safest city in the world either. As long as there is a Nicaragua the US will stick their fingers in it. As for newspaper reports, if I read the US newspapers and all the gory stories of murders here, I’d think the US is a pretty dangerous place (which it is!).

Ripple33

I agree with Maravilla. You have much more to worry about with the political climate in the states. As far as crime I dont think you have anything to worry about since there is no way the crime is any worse than in NYC or Vegas. CR has significantly lower violent crime than in the states. I guess a violent government breeds violent citizens and a peaceful government breeds peace in its citizens. I would not worry about Ortega or Chavez. Be more worried about influence from the states. CR managed to do alright when things were pretty damn bad in Nicaragua and Panama. As far as crime, like you said if you are aware of your surroundings and know not to leave your 500000 dollar gringo house unattended you should not have a problem. Most of the people that fall victim to crime in CR are people that were not aware of the basic rules when in any city or unfamiliar place around the world. Many go about their lives as they would where they came from, failing to realize that they must adapt to the way of life in a different country.

vegasknite

Thank you all for your response. I would like to let Maravilla know that I didn’t read about Costa Rica crime or potential political issues in an American newspaper. I read the front page of amcostarica on December 29th. After reading the article I wrote the editor a letter similar to my posting. The following is his response below. I then decided to post my concern on here to get our fellow reader’s and poster’s response in hopes of understanding your feelings. I am well aware of the political climate in the US and also well aware of the real estate market and the differences in the market depending on where you purchase in the US. I am not aware of the real estate market in Costa Rica or the risks involved in investing there. Thus my real concerns with investing my life savings. Prior to reading that article and reading the editor’s response to my letter I was convinced that the central valley is where I want to spend the twilight of my life. I doubt if I will change my mind based on this one article in fact I am sure I won’t.

Thank you for your letter, Mr. Schindler

You are sort of asking us to predict the future. I think I did that somewhat in the Page One story of Friday.

However, that is about as far as we are prepared to go. We are pretty good at telling what happened and suggesting what may happen. But we are failures at what WILL happen.

I will say that your assessment of the crime problem is probably wrong.
    The influence of drugs has turned many people to crime and violent crime at that. The courts cannot handle it. We only write about crime affecting Gringos.

For a daily assessment, look to Diaro Extra

http://www.diarioextra.com/

Regards,

Jay Brodell
    editor
    A.M. Costa Rica
    editor@amcostarica.com
    http://www.amcostarica.com

Ripple33

The risks of investing can be avoided by doing your homework. A great start is Scott Olivers How to Buy Real Estate without losing your camisa. A very valuable tool to making sure things are done right. Also make sure to hire a independant atty. Do not just deal with a realtor and have the realtor advise you on who you should hire for the legal work. Make sure a complete check is done at the Registro by a reliable source. I dont think you have anything to worry about losing money on a investment. If you look around and find a good deal on property there should be no problem.Just make sure you have a good legal rep to check things out for you. The best advise is dont just deal with one realtor. Keep your eyes open and look at everything there is out there. Work with several realtors, ask the locals, and just pick the property that you feel is right for you. Central Valley property is going up on a average of 30 percent per year. Sure the prices are not going down anytime soon but there are still good deals to be found. Just dont believe that the prices are as bad as advertised on websites and newspapers. Better deals are not advertised and can be found by talking to the locals. Hope this helps.

dalia

Dear Scotty:
    The man is talking about”cicarios”(kidnapping),”bajonasos”(carjacking)and the influx lately of drugs from Colombia and arms from Nicaragua.This type of crimes are new and growing.It’s not the “ticos” is the “lowlifes” that are entering the country.I do not think the local goverment is equiped to combat this serious problem.
    Trust me I’m a tico that owns land in CR and has family there.I know what I’m talking about.Why don’t you tell him that 2 presidents that are in prision for corruption and another is on the lam in Europe.
    JC

scottbenson

Daila,
    You are absolutly right about the low life that is coming into the country, I hear that from my mother in law that is a tica in Tres Rios Cartago and my wifes family that live in Cartago and San Jose. They have some great jokes about Nicas, hahaha since my mother inlaw has a rotie.

How ever I know that it is not new to Costa Rica they are just having more of a influx because of the great economic situation. It just is interesting on how people in the U.S and around the world precive central and south america and crime riden countries. The truth is that in the U.S. state by state it is much worse than Costa Rica will ever be.
    of course when we take our rotie out for a walk we don’t have to many problems with crime. hahaha

maravilla

At least CR puts its corrupt presidents and politicians in prison. We just let ours run free and then give them some cushy private sector job when their term expires!

wmaes47

War crimes and a War crimes Tribunal are on the horizon as the family prepares for “Expected War Crime CXharges”.

The Bush Cartel has purchase near 100,000 acres of land in the Central American country of Paraguay.
    http://www.politicalcortex.com/story/2006/10/14/11926/843

I am tired and weary of looking at the face of George Bush, especially in church this morning at the funeral of President Gerald Ford.

Get a Clue People
    Bill Maes

GringoTico

Mr. Schindler,

If you’re asking if your investment in CR will be a wise one from an economic standpoint, you might as well ask if the stock market will be up or down tomorrow.

If you’re asking if it would be wise to purchase a condo so you can live there and enjoy the many wonderful amenities Costa Rica has to offer, without having to worry about the security of your home, that’s a no-brainer. Whether you make a little or lose a little upon resale is inconsequential compared to the riches you’ll be able to experience every day as a year-round resident in Tiquicia.

The debate about whether the U.S. is more stable or less crime-ridden than CR is a valid one.

Regarding your disability, as you know it’s currently not a very disability-friendly country. However, they are starting to enact legislation which will make it so. For instance, all public busses (which are all privately owned) are now mandated to have handicap-accessible ramps by a certain deadline (can’t remember when). That’s quite a feat for a “third world” country. Still, I don’t envy someone in a wheel chair or walker attempting to traverse the many crumbling sidewalks there, that is if there’s any sidewalk at all.

scottbenson

I have to second that Gringotico!
    Most buildings and public areas are not equiped for the Handicap and you don’t see very many blue signs around Hipo mass!

vegasknite

Thank you GringoTico I agree with what you wrote and I am not concerned with my primary residence as an inverstment. I am purchasing a condo to live in and not make or lose great deals of money with. While my concern is a very far fetched idea it was an issue I chose to raise. I raised it with the premise that at some point the government could change and enact new laws that would allow them to take my home and say go home broke Gringo. As I stated it is a very far stretch of ones imagination that this would or could happen. If Castro or Chavez could have the influence they want I believe that would be their desired end result.

As far as crime or what the real estate market will do over the next 5-10 years I don’t believe anyone know’s. I believe past performance is the best predictor of future success. Thus I believe crime will surge and fall and rise again as will property values. I believe the Costa Rican people to be some of the best educated and politically active. So in the long run we are all safe here.

While I am disabled I am mobile although I sometimes travel via my motorized wheel chair. I have no misconceptions about the terrain or provisions for people with disabilities in Costa Rica. I am not thinking about relocating to a country that I don’t have close to full knowledge about. I have visited most of the country over the past 10 years spending months on some of my trips. I know what Costa Rica has to offer me and I love those things. I thank you and scottbenson for your concern with my disability and the issues I might have to face there. While some days it might be a struggle it is outweighed by the positives of enjoying the Tico lifestyle I wish to live.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.