Health Care in Costa Rica and Residency requiremen

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Health Care in Costa Rica and Residency requiremen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vivian

My husband and I want to buy a home in Costa Rica and keep out home in Florida. Our intention is to retire there and come back to the states occasionally. Since the health care system is in such sad shape here in the US, we are looking into residency requirements in Costa Rica to qualify for health care. I understand that there are two plans, one for locals of CR and one for everyone else. That’s not a problem, we don’t mind paying a fair price for health insurance but we can’t seem to get a clear answer on how that would work. Does anyone know if we purchase a home in CR are we required to live there at least 4 months out of a year to establish residency and then can we purchase the government health insurance.
    Thx Vivian

DavidCMurray
    Participant

To maintain “pensionado” residency status (at least) you must be in Costa Rica four months a year.

Once you have residency, you can enroll in the CAJA medical care system run by the Costa Rican social security system. The monthly premium is based upon your income.

You can also purchase one of two health care policies offered by INS. The costs depend on the extent of the coverage which you opt for. The INS programs do not cover pre-existing conditions, however.

wmaes47

This is a very informative read on the health care system:

http://www.cocori.com/library/life/med1.htm

dh6721

Does the 4 months per year have to be a continuous month,
    or can it be a few weeks here and there for a total of
    16 – 17 weeks? dh6721

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.