Hassle free travel from Ft. Lauderdale to CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Hassle free travel from Ft. Lauderdale to CR

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have been reading about foreigners who have had a hassle flying into CR on a one way ticket and if the CR customs inspectors were strict about the items we bring in our luggage.

I have never considered flying one way until recently when I determined that I would not be returning to the USA for a long time. My mother had told me that she had a hassle with a last minute flight from Florida to Wisconsin years ago because the new anti terrorist security measures were strict. Apparently the homeland security officials are very inquisitative of anyone booking last minute flights. Not so in Ft. Lauderdale.

The following is my recent experience for all to read.

So there I was, searching around at the last minute for airfare to CR that was affordable from south Florida. Being situated at my folk’s home in Naples, Florida, I decided that Miami was only an hour and a half drive and that was probably the best place to look for airfare. I sent my desired itinerary to Tico Travel and the agent returned my e-mail the next morning with a $259 round trip fare from Miami to San Jose. Then I realized I did not have any prediction of my return flight and since the attractive fares are non-refundable and heavily penalized if you need to change your plans, I decided to explore one way fares which are usually as much as round trip.

Since Miami is always such a challenge, I checked out the new options from Ft. Lauderdale and was surprised to find a $139 one-way fare on Spirit Airlines that was departing at a convenient time on the day I wanted to fly. So I bought the ticket on line and paid the extra $10 bucks for the checked baggage. I drove to Ft. Lauderdale early on Friday morning and arrived one and a half hours after departing Naples. Upon weighing my baggage, we found both to be overweight and I had to pay $25 bucks per bag extra. The ticket counter agent needed my USA passport and did not ask to see my Costa Rican cedula.

So off I went to the baggage screening area and without any hassle to customs and the designated gate. I had anticipated a hassle in customs because I had purchased five new electronic testing instruments that I use to inspect construction sites in Costa Rica and these instruments have scientific displays that look like they could be dangerous to the average homeland security inspector. I breezed through customs with just a visual check of the electronic instruments I had in my carry on bag and I was at the gate several hours ahead of the scheduled departure with free wireless internet service and plenty of time to catch up on my messages.

The flight departed on time and arrived ahead of schedule. The only inconveniences to me were the small seats and lack of legroom on the small Spirit Airlines aircraft. All in all the flight was without problems and I was very satisfied with the service and costs. I would recommend checking out the options in Ft. Lauderdale for anyone who wants to fly to San Jose from central or south Florida. I understand that American Airlines will begin service from Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Additionally, to follow up with some recent postings I have seen from folks who were wondering about CR customs checking the items they were bringing in their luggage. Once I arrived into Juan Santamaria airport, I purchased three bottles of perfume and a case of booze in duty free. Then located a luggage cart and gathered my huge overweight checked bags that were both full to the max with items I had purchased in the states to bring to CR. My cart was packed with luggage and duty free boxes and my carry-on bag was oversized and full of electronic instruments which I had
    placed in one of those fire proof safes that is a heavy 6″ thick, 10″ wide and 14″ long. The CR inspector asked what was in my carry on and I told him electronic testing meters and he said ok have a nice day. No fuss in Ft. Lauderdale and no fuss in CR. After two busy weeks in Florida I am very happy to be back in Ticolandia!

dhsbooker

crhomebuilder,
    I’m glad to hear that you had NO problems with Spirit. Mu husband and I just got done recently flying with them as well. We did not have the same luck. I had originally purchased 2 Rt tickets from Tampa to C.R. in April. I was checking there website and noticed that the flight for our travel dates was greatly reduced, so I called them and paid the $140.00 penalty on my charge to in return receive a credit voucher for $424.00 good till April of 2008! So far so good! I had all my e-tickets with pre-paid baggage and seat assignments when we left on 8/31/07. Our return flight from C.R. was on 9/7/07 and when we got to the airport we were told that we had cancelled oour flight! The only way that we could leave was to purchase a one way ticket back to Florida! He said he had no idea of what had happened and I would have to take it up with the airlines when we got home. I now had to charge #434.00 for one way tickets. He then had the nerve to want to charge me for our luggage as well! That didn’t happen.
    There was no problen leaving C.R., but when we got to Ft. Lauderdale, my husband was flagged for having a one way ticket. There is a code of ssss on the ticket.

I immediatley called Spirit the next day and was on hold for 2/1/2 hours without ever reaching a person! I called back 4 more times that day, as when I did finally get through after at least a 1/2 each call, I was allways disconnected when they put me on hold. There is no longer a local number in the states to reach them. The calls are routed to either the Phillipines or the Dominican Republic. When I finally reached a supervisor after at least 5-6 phone calls, she told me it was AGENT ERROR. I am still making calls to them as I have not been credited to my credit card as of today.
    I also have a friend who told me she had a problem and it took a year for her refund. They have also been in the news here with another issue lately.

I am just writing this to advise people to beware and make sure that when they are leaving the states that it shows that there is a return flight in the system again.
    I’m sure many people have flown without incidence, but there customer service is horrible!

Deb

sprite

I have also read such stories. I am a strong believer in “YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR” and sometimes you don;t even get THAT. I haven;t yet tried Spirit but my next trip will probably be with them out of Ft Lauderdale, My fingers will be crossed. The rates are so competitive that one just HAS to try it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.