Growing grass from seed???

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Growing grass from seed???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does it work here? We just priced out sod, and can’t do it.
    We are trying out a gardener for the first time, and he says “yes it will work”, but we’ve heard a lot of “yes’s” here that don’t pan out.
    Any experience good or bad here in CR?
    We are near the beach, but up about 120 meters with no salt water, we’re looking at planting in full sun, in really crappy “after construction” soil that we plan to top dress with some black dirt.
    Any detailed directions or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, also, if you do have any specific varieties of seed, or mixes, that are better for our situation, all the better.
    Thanks!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I’ve asked about grass seed and come up empty-handed. If you find a source, please let us know.

Or . . . anybody know where you can buy grass seed?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Suggest you try what many [i]Ticos[/i] do, and use small plugs of grass.You will have to purchase some sod, and cut it into 2″ squares.
    But unless you are willing and able to add a good watering system, this will be a waste of time, if in the full sun.
    You could plant [i]’Mani'[/i] which stays green and looks good, all year.
    Can’t you add a succulent type or a Xeriscape garden? Many beautiful drought-tolerant plants that look even nicer surrounded by ‘rocks’.

N&M in San Pedro used to sell grass seed, and so did Do-It Center near Liberia

I have a similiar situation with my CR home. However, my backyard has shade from many palm trees. I feel I already know the answer, however it begs to be asked; buying grass seed in the U.S., and hand carry back to CR? Liberia airport customs is very easy going!

johnr

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Suggest you try what many [i]Ticos[/i] do, and use small plugs of grass.You will have to purchase some sod, and cut it into 2″ squares.
    But unless you are willing and able to add a good watering system, this will be a waste of time, if in the full sun.
    You could plant [i]’Mani'[/i] which stays green and looks good, all year.
    Can’t you add a succulent type garden? Many beautiful drought-tolerant plants that look even nicer surrounded by ‘rocks’.

N&M in San Pedro used to sell grass seed, and so did Do-It Center near Liberia[/quote]

This! The plugs spread quickly and Mani works great on any slope areas and does not need mowing – plus the yellow flowers are nice!

juliab

Don’t plant seeds. It doesn’t work. We tried it and failed miserably:oops: May be it had to do with the quality of seeds (we bought in a local store. It was quite expensive, btw)

Do as “finca” suggested or do what we did: look for neighbors with grassy areas and ask if your gardener can collect grass “hijos” (end part of the grass plant, it usually has roots as well.0 You just pull it and tear, so that the original part is not pulled out. Your gardener should know what I’m talking about. All Ticos do that. Usually neighbor-Ticos and even some Gringos won’t mind at all: they’ll cut those “hijos” anyway next time they cut the grass. We shared our grass with everyone who asked.

Plant the rooted parts of the collected “hihos” in rows 30 sm or so apart (5 sm between hijos in the row). They will grow nicely!

If you’re going to buy the grass in “carpet” pieces, cut it in bands of 10 sm wide and plant in rows 30-40 sm apart. Important! Make sure that the pieces are not elevated: put soil between the grass rows, so that it’s all even. It will make the grass spread faster.

Be realistic in your expectations: it will take about a year for the grass to cover the “bold” spots.

Don’t buy any other grass othere than St Augustine (the most common grass in CR, Mexico and US South).

Clover (mani) will not do well close to the beach area.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I am presently ‘researching’ a ground cover which [i]seems[/i] to be a variety of Salvia. It grows in terrible soil and in extremely dry conditions and even so, produces beautiful tiny blue blossoms … although you may have to lie on the ground to enjoy them: lol:
    You can see how small/low to the grown this plant is in contrast to the garden hose and comes back after being cut by a lawnmower.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/costaricafinca/Salviagrowndcover6cr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/costaricafinca/Tinyblooms.jpg[/img]

The problem with imported seed is that the ants take it with them. After waiting for weeks to see the grass grow in the front yard, the grass finally grew …… out of the ant piles.
    Seeds in Costa Rica are covered with some kind of anti-bug powder.
    The best way is to buy squares of “San Augustin” grass and plant like putting a carpet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.