Gringos are from Mars, Ticos are from Venus

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Gringos are from Mars, Ticos are from Venus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GringoTico

The article entitled “Costa Rica People – How To Communicate with the Ticos”, by Eric Liljenstolpe, offers valuable insight into the cultural abyss between Gringos and Ticos. Anyone Gringo living or doing business in CR who decides to ignore, or attempts to change this reality does so at their own peril.

As Mr. Liljenstolpe points out, even fluent Spanish speakers can be culturally illiterate, and their clear and concise wording may have unintentional meaning.

In English, there is only one word for “now”, and that’s “now”. In Spanish there are at least 4 words for “now”, and none of them mean “now”.

Ahora = Sometime in the next few weeks, but maybe never.

Ahorita = Sometime in the next few days, if you’re lucky.

Ahoritita = Soon, but the speaker probably hopes you’ll fall asleep beforehand and forget about the whole thing.

Ahora mismo = Pretty soon, with a hint of actual urgency. Use with caution.

If you want to say “right now” try “Ya”, pronounced “Jah”, followed up by a commanding “soque”, pronounced “so-kay”. You won’t make friends, but these are the true action words on the planet Tiquicia.

Seriously, the author correctly points out that, while Gringos are direct (i.e. “rude”), Ticos are indirect (i.e. “show good manners”). All of this makes for awkward social situations, challenging marital relations, and disastrous business outcomes.

Another hint that language represents far less than 50% of the tools used to communicate is noted by anyone visiting a Tico in their home. When you say “Que casa más bonita” (“What a pretty house”) to your host, the answer will invariably be “Allí lo tiene” (“It’s yours”). Left unwritten and unsaid in any existing communicational resource manual, except for WeLoveCostaRica.com of course, is that while it is the responsibility of every host to offer his or her home to a guest, it is equally the responsibility of the guest to never take up this offer.

While I adore Costa Rica and its people, it is an unfortunate truth that saying the right thing at the right time will get you far in this country, even though the conviction behind your words is non-existent. Many Costa Ricans privately admire Gringos who don’t beat around the bush, but it still rubs them the wrong way.

Want to get on well with Tico acquaintances? Be cordial, don’t ask personal questions or share intimate details of your personal life, be agreeable, and for Pete’s sake don’t criticize (exactly who Pete is I have no idea, but people seem to care about him a lot). Learn the following few phrases which represent the bulk of all casual conversation among Ticos, and use them generously.

“Hola, cómo está?”
    “Cómo está su mamá?”
    “Y los chiquitos?”
    “Que Dios le bendiga”
    “Si Dios quiere”
    “Que le vaya bien”
    “Saludos a la familia”

Things could be worse. I teach Ticos on the way to NYC the phrase “Why are you talking to me?”

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great feedback GringoTico – thank you.

I have been going through a frustrating process with three totally different companies during the last couple of months and trying really hard to use all the wisdom I have gained over the last seven years living with and loving Ticos. It’s not working…

Two packaging companies whom we met with promised to get back to me with design ideas for two new products and the person that is supposed to be printing our business cards. The printing card people printed them before so all they have to do is run the same job again but we can’t even get them on the telephone.

We are still waiting for the packaging companies to get back to us….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

GringoTico

Frankly Scott, it’s amazing that a stickler Brit like you can survive at all in the land of mañana. I warn off my more type A friends from even visiting.

People wonder why there’s such a lack of urgency in Latin America, but the root cause is easy enough to understand. The industrial revolution demanded that Londoners be punctual to work in the morning, because that’s when they turned on the machines. In countries with a more agricultural economy, particularly where the growing season is year ’round, tomorrow is as good a time as any to pick those coffee beans.

*Lotus

How about a great Zen saying, “If not now, when”. I guess you wont find this saying posted in many businesses..lol. My practice of mindfullness and not resisting what is does come in handy in C.R., but then again vacationing is one thing working/living is another.

Andrew
    Keymaster

One of my favorites is remembering my mother telling my sister:

“Don’t just sit there – do something!” (If you know me, you’ll know that sitting still is not something I can do very easily…)

And then remembering Sogyyal Rimpoche, the author of the Tibetan Book of the Living & Dying (my bible) saying:

“Don’t just do something, sit there!”

I love that…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

scottbenson

“Want to get on well with Tico acquaintances? Be cordial, don’t ask personal questions or share intimate details of your personal life,”

I guess this dosen’t apply to Ticos because my mother in-law will tell a complete stranger what ales her! hahahaha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.