Gringo In Prison

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Gringo In Prison

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Would love to hear your thoughts on a new series of articles ‘Gringo Doing Time In Costa Rica’ written by an American friend of mine Terry, who has had a very unfortunate time with a Costa Rican woman whom he married…

You can see Part I which will begin tomorrow at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/A_Gringo_Doing_Time_In_Costa_Rica__Part_I.cfm ]

Scott

Versatile

Looks to be a great article. We need to see all sides of CR.
    This guy had a problem as well. He went to CR for awhile.
    He won his court case so i guess what he says is true.

http://www.freetedwhite.com/

davidknaus

Hi Scott,
    This is the best article I have read in your news letter to date. The real issues of how to live in Costa Rica.

I am 52 yrs, a Aussie/American, and find myself almost in the same situation as the man ‘Terry’ in your article. I am a retired director of Photography from the film biz.
    I own approx $500,000 of real estate in Punta Leona and Purta Viejo. An investment I moved from Australia to Costa Rica when I sold my Australian house. I owned that Aussie house outright 12 years before I married a Tica woman. I was only married for 18 months when I realized that she had married me only for my money. She would not move to Los Angeles where I live, as she had promised and consequently we never even lived together in the same house.
    When I seperated from her she filed a domestic violence and pension order against me in C.R. Furthermore, she has put legal ‘liens’ on all my real estate in Costa Rica, claiming she owns 75% of it all, and demanded a $1,000 per month pension. Her family I think have even made false statements against me in support of her claims, and I am begining to realize that this is not the first time they have done this scam. With all this legal action she commenced, she would not file for Divorce, wanting to remain married to me. So I did the divorce process in California, where I live.

Luckily I have not entered Costa Rica for fear of the same Pension prision, but I have not been able to travel to C.R. for the past 4 years. I have a friend who works in immigration, and I know for a fact my name has been on the pension immigration list for 4 years running.

My ex’s lawyers continue to file pension claims against me at different court houses around San Jose when the tempory order expire after 6 months. Yes, this has not even been to court after 4 years, and I am stuck in total legal limbo. I have three lawyers working on the case, but it never goes anywhere, not even to court.

My 21 yr old son from a previous marriage now needs to attend University and I have medical issues but have no health insurance or work, and need to access the investments of my Costa Rican houses, but can not sell them or even visit them.

This is the reality of Costa Rican law that very few gringos are made aware of, and I would like to see more articles on these issues.

Also Scott, is it possible for you to send me any contacts at the TV station that did the interview with Terry? I would very much like to also be interview by them if possible. My ex Tica wife, is actually a make-up artist in the film industry in San Jose making commercials, She does not work in the TV business as such, but is very well known in those circles. Her sister-in-law is one of the better known reporters on Channel 7, and very well respected by the viewing audience. So this type of legal manipulation goes on at all levels believe me.

Thanks …… David Knaus.

maravilla

WOW!!! i’m speechless. i wish i’d had this information when i was writing an article on Expats in Wonderland!!!

guru

Very interesting article but also very disorganized. Expert writing is not expected in such articles. Some editing would help.

I was left with more questions than answers. Under what circumstances did a husband owe his Tica wife a pension? Was the pay now amount of $1200 for $200 due a typo or typical court inflation?

Considering how many Ticos live I was not surprised at the conditions in jail there. Jail is often a step UP in comfort for many poor even though a long way down for the rich. The home described (shack with ventilated walls and floors) is not unusual in rural Costa Rica. So you can expect jail to be just a LITTLE better.

ticorealtor

[quote=”guru”]The home described (shack with ventilated walls and floors) is not unusual in rural Costa Rica. So you can expect jail to be just a LITTLE better.[/quote]

Thats funny, my wife grew up right down town San Jose and lived in a old horse barn. Wood floors and thin plywood for walls.

Its just another article about the similarities of the world. The difference is if he was put in jail here in the U.S. it would have been a nicer place with TV and better food!:P

kordan

from my understanding, the hitmen are very effective here in costa rica
    It seems only fair to treat a vampire like she treat you

maravilla

kordan, shame on you for advocating a hit. although . . .

gomiqueen2

Hi All,

Interesting subject, interesting reading – be careful about stretching the article out so far, interests weakens. It is obvious that several writers were involved in getting the article out which is fine – but; be sure to explain some of the local phrases for full impact and understanding by the readers. Does this type of “manipulation” only involve the local women or do the men do the same with the foreign women coming to CR?

Best of luck to you Terrence – hope all goes better for you.

Pj

finnerty

[quote=”guru”]Under what circumstances did a husband owe his Tica wife a pension? Was the pay now amount of $1200 for $200 due a typo or typical court inflation?[/quote]

I think Part III will help explain a little of this… about how I got into this mess.

The $1200.00 figure is for four months plus the December double amount including the alguinado. I actually paid the last time in February of 2010… so I have “gotten away” with not paying much more.

I am not exagerating anything in any of this… my economic situation is very very bad. I was losing a lot of weight last year. I did not have $200.00 a month myself, let alone that amount to give to Doña Violeta. It is still pretty bad… I am hoping to get some work in a call center soon, driving the cab pays really lousy and it is dangerous.

But before everyone starts throwing rocks at me about how irresponsible and stupid I am to not have a great income I want to say that I have had my reasons for doing things as I have done. I had been a graphic designer for 15 years and 2009 was the year that broke me. I wanted to continue and thought I would make it if I just hung in there, but I was wrong.

A combination of things fixed my professional wagon. Frankly, I am too old to be a graphic designer anymore, my style is out of touch with current culture and anyway, 15 years in front of a computer screen 12 hours a day is long enough.

I have made a transition to a kind of work that I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to learn. I am IN my community and I am a part of it. Working in español is a real joy and serving the community this way is very satisfying. I am proud of that. I am also proud of living “like” my costa rican neighbors. I am poorer than a lot of them actually.

After working one month driving I went to jail for two months. I have been back on the road for about a month now, but this business too is hurting… too many piratas, portadores and taxi rojos and not enough clients.

The theme behind everything in my “soap opera” is the effect that poverty has on us all. There’s a lot of people who are “falling through the cracks” and I describe a couple further on in the series… I hope to make their general situation better known by writing here.

Most people in costa rica are living on no margin at all and working 14 hours a day for rice and beans. This is making estafas and dope dealing and robbery REALLY attractive alternatives for all kinds of people. Something needs to be done or… well… more people will go to jail for being poor, the ruthless rip-off environment will get worse, and more people will have a chance to write a Soap Opera of their own.

soflodoug

Marriage, When are you guys gonna learn? You marry a 3rd world pauper, what do you expect? They are laughing at you for being a sucker. It sounds like you have a lousy lawyer too. You need to grow some balls buddy, and remember, these women are attractive ad fun to frolic with, but nothing more, have a good time and then say hasta la vista.
    Good luck.

[quote=”finnerty”][quote=”guru”]Under what circumstances did a husband owe his Tica wife a pension? Was the pay now amount of $1200 for $200 due a typo or typical court inflation?[/quote]

I think Part III will help explain a little of this… about how I got into this mess.

The $1200.00 figure is for four months plus the December double amount including the alguinado. I actually paid the last time in February of 2010… so I have “gotten away” with not paying much more.

I am not exagerating anything in any of this… my economic situation is very very bad. I was losing a lot of weight last year. I did not have $200.00 a month myself, let alone that amount to give to Doña Violeta. It is still pretty bad… I am hoping to get some work in a call center soon, driving the cab pays really lousy and it is dangerous.

But before everyone starts throwing rocks at me about how irresponsible and stupid I am to not have a great income I want to say that I have had my reasons for doing things as I have done. I had been a graphic designer for 15 years and 2009 was the year that broke me. I wanted to continue and thought I would make it if I just hung in there, but I was wrong.

A combination of things fixed my professional wagon. Frankly, I am too old to be a graphic designer anymore, my style is out of touch with current culture and anyway, 15 years in front of a computer screen 12 hours a day is long enough.

I have made a transition to a kind of work that I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to learn. I am IN my community and I am a part of it. Working in español is a real joy and serving the community this way is very satisfying. I am proud of that. I am also proud of living “like” my costa rican neighbors. I am poorer than a lot of them actually.

After working one month driving I went to jail for two months. I have been back on the road for about a month now, but this business too is hurting… too many piratas, portadores and taxi rojos and not enough clients.

The theme behind everything in my “soap opera” is the effect that poverty has on us all. There’s a lot of people who are “falling through the cracks” and I describe a couple further on in the series… I hope to make their general situation better known by writing here.

Most people in costa rica are living on no margin at all and working 14 hours a day for rice and beans. This is making estafas and dope dealing and robbery REALLY attractive alternatives for all kinds of people. Something needs to be done or… well… more people will go to jail for being poor, the ruthless rip-off environment will get worse, and more people will have a chance to write a Soap Opera of their own.[/quote]

ticorealtor

I guess you never was married to a Gringa! I am married to one of those 3rd world paupers that you talk about and I am sure she is higher educated than you are. We have been married for ten years and I would never would never change my situation.

ticorealtor

[quote=”soflodoug”]Marriage, When are you guys gonna learn? You marry a 3rd world pauper, what do you expect? They are laughing at you for being a sucker. It sounds like you have a lousy lawyer too. You need to grow some balls buddy, and remember, these women are attractive ad fun to frolic with, but nothing more, have a good time and then say hasta la vista.
    Good luck.

I guess you never was married to a Gringa! I am married to one of those 3rd world paupers that you talk about and I am sure she is higher educated than you are. We have been married for ten years and I would never would never change my situation.

soflodoug

Sir, The issue is not is your aka wife higher educated than me,it is is she higher educated than you. nuff said there, I didnt marry her you did. Sir, I can understand your pain, but if you think you are happy married to her, “wow, cannot comprehend this” then you are going to be extatic in your next life.
    A little lesson for you sir, Most relationships are SocioEconomico, meaning for some sort of financial gain or or life style improvement. If you keep this in mind, you will be a lady killer, not a lady killed!
    Wow, Thank god ive never been married, Please for you and the sake of this forum, please dont get married again, please!!!!!!!!

[quote=”ticorealtor”][quote=”soflodoug”]Marriage, When are you guys gonna learn? You marry a 3rd world pauper, what do you expect? They are laughing at you for being a sucker. It sounds like you have a lousy lawyer too. You need to grow some balls buddy, and remember, these women are attractive ad fun to frolic with, but nothing more, have a good time and then say hasta la vista.
    Good luck.

[quote=”finnerty”][quote=”guru”]Under what circumstances did a husband owe his Tica wife a pension? Was the pay now amount of $1200 for $200 due a typo or typical court inflation?[/quote]

Most people in costa rica are living on no margin at all and working 14 hours a day for rice and beans. This is making estafas and dope dealing and robbery REALLY attractive alternatives for all kinds of people. Something needs to be done or… well… more people will go to jail for being poor, the ruthless rip-off environment will get worse, and more people will have a chance to write a Soap Opera of their own.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

soflodoug

Guru, Wow I hope I have 1/10th the strength you have in life, you are an amazing person that has developed in ways I cannot understand. God bless you and Please if you have advise for any of us who have not been there and done that,please let it flow!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.