Great Wall Diesel Pickup

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Great Wall Diesel Pickup

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

One of the downsides to the advice to bring your vehicle from the U.S. is that it’s almost impossible to bring one with a small diesel engine. While the Asian manufacturers represented here offer diesels in sedans, small pickups, small-, medium- and large-size SUVs and in vans up to twelve or fifteen passengers, diesels in vehicles other than large pickups and large SUVs are almost unheard of in the U.S.

Diesel fuel costs about 68% of the cost of regular gasoline in Costa Rica and it’s available at every filling station. What’s more, it’s my understanding that a gallon of crude oil renders more diesel fuel than gasoline, so there’s an energy conservation argument to be considered, too.

What’s more, diesels are reputed to last virtually forever. In a land where you see virtually no rusty vehicles of any age, that’s another consideration.

What we have not experienced with our Hyundai diesel is any appreciable savings in routine maintenance.

It’s a tough call . . .

tx500sl

You are going to pay the duties either way. If you bring a car from the US, you are going to pay the duty directly to the government here. If you buy a used vehicle here, you are going to pay the duty in the price of the vehicle.

Cars cost a lot more here. Period.

Since you are going to pay either way, wouldn’t you prefer to buy (or bring) one where you have some assurance that the odometer is right, there is no salvage or flood history and that has all the North American safety standards built in? It may cost you a little more at the time of purchase/import to have a good North American car, but it will cost you less over time in terms of repairs. It might even save your life.

As for the savings offered in the price-per-liter of diesel compared to gasoline, keep in mind that this country is about the size of West Virginia. I drive a LOT, and yet my odometer only increases by about 600 miles per month. I won’t live long enough to save enough on fuel to offset the difference in price between a diesel and gas engine. And while diesels may save you a few colones at the pump, is it really worth the difference in emissions? I nearly choke to death when following a diesel powered vehicle through the streets of San Jose.

stinsont

I am glad to hear someone else express what I have found as well. Your right about the practices in C.R. Thanks for the steer to the outfit you used. I am planning to ship versus bying there and agree with the cost savings on the diesel payback. Hope to also bring my shop stuff down as soon as I can. I plan on making street legal offroad rigs to keep me busy when I not working my Espanol.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.