Golfito and Appliances?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Golfito and Appliances?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dhsbooker

I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about buying appliances and electronics in Golfito. I read that each person is allowed a $500.00(US) voucher to purchase items with. I also read that you may be able to buy someone else’s voucher for around $25.00. Is that legal? It seems from what I have read that this is the cheapest place to get major appliances, and as much as half the cost of buying them in San Jose. Thank’s to Scott’s great article on the handmade furniture in Sarchi, I’m learning alot!!

Thanks, Debbie

jenny

Debbie,

After 5 trips to Gulfito, some new commer came in and told me that she called the telephone number in the Tico Times that advertised appliances and she ordered her appliances through them. What you will learn Debbie is that no matter how long you live here someone can tell you something new (smile)

When she told me about that service of course I did not tell her that I made several trips to purchase appliances and all the headache, sweat and frustration that faced me. Lousy hotel room , terrible food, hot, going to get your ticket to purchase, keeping your records for check out. Going one day to look for things then the second day to pick them up, and trying to stay under the $500.00 price.

Look in the Tico Times Classified if you see an ad for New Appliances call that number tell them what you want, they will pick the appliances up and deliver them to your house. When we needed a washer and dryer that is what we did.

maravilla

when I found out what was involved in going to Golfito I decided I’d rather put my face in hot oil. Instead I went right to Monge and bought a stove and fridge for less than $800, which is way less I’d pay for these things in the states. Shop around. Most stores will give you a discount if you pay in cold hard cash as I did — in fact they discounted 17% when I took a Tico with me! When I went in alone the week before, they were only offering me 10%!

jenny

Such insight. I need a new refrigerator and stove. Golfito will not be the answer because both items cost more then $500.00. Maravilla’s information regarding Rojas y Monge is a good example. We just purchased a new TV and if we would have gone to Golfito to get it the cost would have been more and the headache.

You can think you have all knowledge in Costa Rica but there is always someone with a little more insight or with a better solution. That is part of the Costa Rican adventure.

dhsbooker

Thanks for the great info!! I will be keeping this info stored in my archives for when we make the move.

Charlie

Remember there are plenty of potholes / bad roads all the way from Golfito which any appliances you buy will be subject to.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I’ve just learned today that there is at least one appliance broker whom you can deal with online. There is a list of available appliances by make and model. You choose what you want and make an arrangement to have them delivered to your home. Friends of friends did this. They got exactly what they ordered, the delivery was cheap and ontime, and they felt that they saved a lot of money.

And it all happened from the comfort of their living room.

Maybe this is the guy who advertises in Tico Times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.