Golfing in costa rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Golfing in costa rica

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pbird

We are thinking of costa rica for retirement. one of the prerequisites, for health as well as enjoyment, is the availability of affordable golf courses. can anyone give me some information? i have only been able to find expensive, resort-type courses online. thank you – bird

lisle55

I live in Jaco and play a Ted Robinson course at the Marriot. The fee is $2000 to join and $3000 per year. You then pay $15 for a cart if you use one. This is the only course in the area right now but there are 2 more being built. San Jose will have more golf courses. Here is a website for golf in Costa Rica http://www.anagolf.com

Andrew
    Keymaster
    dehaaij

I belong to the CVGA (Central Valley Golf Association) and the membership is free!

We have weekly tournaments every Tuesday at Valle Del Sol. Show up before 6:45AM and you can play. Cost is $8 to the association, which automatically enters you in the hole-in-one competition and the prize money, plus your greens fee which is very reasonable, especially for a public course of that quality.

Once a month they organize weekend trips to Los Sueños where they get unlimited golf with cart and lunch included for $85/day.

http://www.thecvga.com

Jon

pbird

Thanks, it sounds terrific and we will check it out!

*Lotus

The Iguana course at Los Suenos is a beauty!

mediatica

It should be noted that Reserva Conchal’s golf course (www.reservaconchal.com) is a private course. Only home owners or renters of properties within the development can use the course. The hotel guests, of course, can use the course as well. Hacienda Pinilla, (www.haciendapinilla.com) which is a nice course in this area of Guanacaste is public even through it’s within a 4500 acre development. My husband and I had paid $1,500 for a ‘flexible 50’ pass, which gives you and your spouse (or family member) 50 plays on the golf course over the course of 1 year. Then you pay $15.00 per person for a cart fee. We found this to be reasonable, especially for a nice resort golf course. They also offer family memberships in the $3,000 per year range.

snakeman2

there’s going to be a driving range in Grifo Alto soon

philipbennie

Heres one that seems to be hardly mentioned and is a close kept secret for the golf players who like to play anytime they want. Papagayo Golf and Country Club has been up and running for the last two years. There is an 18 hole course in beautiful rolling woodland with impressive views of Guanacastes volcanoes. Its just outside of Playas del Coco. There are lots and homes for sale that come with membership (I think that runs at $10,000 at the moment). Then as a member greenfees are $20 with free cart. The public can walk in and play for around $80 again with cart included. There is a pool and restaurant to cool down after being in the Guanacaste sun. I’m a member so come up here pbird and I’ll show you around

pbird

Thank you! Will definitely be in touch when we visit. Are the homes for sale in developments? Would you know the names of any? Thank you for the information.

koty

Check out Sanbuenasgolfresort.com This is a new development in the pre-construction phase close to Uvita in the southern zone. Prices are very reasonable due to its “newness”. We have friends who are investing in this project and it looks good. The area is very relaxed and laid back. Definately, Costa Rican feel. We have bought property in the area and if we could afford it would buy into this development.

Koty

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have not visited this pre-pre-pre construction resort but would ask that you look very carefully at it before making a commitment. A good golf course development requires fairly substantial investments and I have not seen any evidence that this group has the kind of resources required.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

philipbennie

I agree with Scott. There is an established golf course that I am a member of here in Guanacaste that has lots for sale at less than the prices on the San Buenas web site (and they are actually adjoining the course, not on a ridge overlooking the course). It is finished, can be played, has a clubhouse and swimming pool, services and roads exist. If I say any more I’ll be advertising but I would just like people to have all the information before they buy a dream on paper. The Ponderosa Golf Course outside of Liberia would be a warning tale. On paper it looked great, big name designer, the lots started at $60,000 rapidly rose to $120,000. Recently i’ve heard nothing of the project and I don’t believe it is being worked on. Just across the road from my house another project is advertising a golf course but there is nothing to be seen on the ground and a best estimate must put it 3 years away, even if they get permission.

*Lotus

I agree with Philip. I am a big time golf enthusiast and was tempted by San Buenas but just have not seen enough happening and am not convinced the developer has the experience to pull this off. Of course that’s just my humble opinion and I wish them the best of luck completing there project!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.