GMO’s and Organics

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum GMO’s and Organics

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

Any chicken is going to get larger, the older it gets!:?
    And the papaya taste will vary with the variety grown. Organic or not.

costaricafinca
    Participant

After thinking on [b]maravillas[/b] post on the small size of the [i]pollos[/i] that are usually seen in most stores. For a short while we sold our chickens to a local supermarket, but decided it wasn’t worth it, when we were told that there customers demanded this same size, not the bigger, [i]pollos [/i]with more meat size that [i]’non-Tico’s'[/i] are used too.

gzeniou

We are not really concerned about the size more about the quality.

With that being said. My wife and I only eat chicken once a month and I eat beef perhaps once every two weeks (need the protein). In the US there is a huge difference in taste between organic chicken and “Walmart” Chicken which is loaded with hormones, Antibiotics and fed GMO corn. Beef has similar issues I only eat Charolais beef, It’s probably double the price but again there is a big taste difference, at least to me. We can also taste a small difference with fruits and vegetables. However, when we are in Costa Rica, we find no taste difference between our Organic vegetables in the US and the regular vegetables you find in the market. We actually thought at first that all the vegetables in Costa Rica were Organic. We have not tried organic vegetables in CR yet but will when we arrive next week. In any event, even if there was no taste difference, we are willing to pay extra to have chemical, drug and GMO free food. At worst we wasted a few dollars. I will say that since we have been on this basic organic diet (about 4 years now) we have not gotten sick once. This is amazing for me as I normally have alleges bad during the spring and fall. Just the money I saved on drugs takes care of the additional price of the food. Logically speaking if allergies are seasonal, food should not be a factor. but for some odd reason there is a difference in my case.

sbw1977
    Participant

A new link on GMO’s from Mercola: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archives/2010/04/03/jeffrey-smith-interview.aspx

I tried the link and it didn’t work. Googled Mercola GMO articles and it was first on the list.

gzeniou

I wanted to give an update on this topic, at least what we found. We were always under the impression that organic food taste better. When in Atenas we did both Organic and the Friday market non organic market. Both my wife and I found no taste difference to our surprise. Back in NC, we know that the organics taste better then the non organics. So we thought that maybe its how they ripen and are shipped. So we did this experiment a couple of times, we had local non organic vine ripen vegetables and got California organics which are not vine ripen as they have to ship a distance. Our findings was the local stuff that was not organic but vine ripen tasted better. By the way the local stuff was the same price of the organics. Typically when we buy organics its locally grown and doesn’t ship far. But to us based on taste, organics makes no difference, its how its ripen and shipped.

With all that being said we still will take Organics, even if it’s shipped from a distance over the local grown non organic stuff. We rather be Chemical and GMO free and give a little in taste.

The Atenas Organic coop works well. You order and pick up your stuff on Fridays and its really worth it, if your in the area check it out. It isn’t that much more expensive.

F__K Monsantos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guru

People go nuts over this subject but the truth is that it is more what we eat rather than the quality of what we eat. Diets high in meat, processed oils, white flour or rice, sugar and salt have been shown in global studies to be the leading causes of heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis. The less meat, dairy and processed grains and the more fresh green vegetables, fruit and nuts eaten the lower (down to nearly zero) of these diseases are seen.

Recent cadaver studies of young children in the United States have shown noticeable plaque build up in their arteries. Ten year olds on the way to a heart attack due to eating large amounts of processed and fried foods (list most “fast” foods)! Several common cancers have been linked to early onset of puberty and this due to a diet with a lot of meat (its not the hormones fed the cattle, its just the amount of meat and fat eaten. . .). If you have children the results of these studies should make you cry.

When folks learn the truth about what they should eat and do the best to eat right, then organically grown adds just a little more benefit. Yes, I agree organically grown is better and probably safer but there is no actual evidence of being safer. Its the low nutrient per calorie food we eat that is what is killing us.

For those living in Costa Rica with its varied year round
    agriculture and fresh food markets eating well is much easier than in many other places.

Few if any of the things we SHOULD eat are in the genetically modified category. These include mostly the high yield grains and field crops.

I’ve recently had a health crisis and was pointed in the right direction by good friends who have tried every health food guru there was. It is a hard lesson and hard change to drop the killer things that we eat. For details and the hard truths about what we eat google Dr. Joel Fuhrman. If you want to change your life for the better, lose weight and live longer, read his book “Eat to Live”.

I have not become a “moral vegetarian” or vegan. I am trying to be a “nutritarian” to improve the quality of my life.

Remember, “The Salad is the Main Course.”

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.