getting diabetic supplies to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum getting diabetic supplies to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Harperanne

I am diabetic and I use an insulin pump. I know that I can bring enough supplies with me for a 3 month stay, but if we decide to try a 6 month stay, would I be able to have those supplies shipped to me? any suggestions?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Is this worth the risk?

Harperanne

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Is this worth the risk?[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand this reply.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Harperanne”]I am diabetic and I use an insulin pump. I know that I can bring enough supplies with me for a 3 month stay, but if we decide to try a 6 month stay, would I be able to have those supplies shipped to me? any suggestions?[/quote]

If you say what products you’re dependent upon, maybe someone will check availability for you. I can’t help right now because we’re n the States.

costaricafinca
    Participant

If you decide to stay longer, there may be a delay in receiving your necessary meds. that could cause problems.
    I know on another forum, someone has said that what you are presently using, are not available. Some medications are allowed in …some are not.
    I, for one, if [i]totally dependent[/i] on particular medications [b]that are not available here[/b], would not chance it, and this is what I meant in the other very brief response, sorry.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What CRF says makes very good sense. If you cannot be certain of a reliable supply of life-sustaining meds, you’ll be better off to stay at home.

Costa Rica’s a great place, but it’s not worth dying for.

Harperanne

Thank you for your comments. The only med I need for my diabetes is insulin which is readily available in CR. I’m sure that there are tico diabetics that need it too. The insulin pump is a means of administering the insulin and I wanted to find out about transporting the devices that make the administering of the insulin possible. I have since learned about courier services and have thought about going through an endocrinologist. I certainly wouldn’t consider moving anywhere that I could not take care of myself.

costaricafinca
    Participant

This is copied from another post elsewhere:

[i]”CAJA provides NO TESTING SUPPLIES AT ALL… no meter,strips etc…Get this.. I get [b]one[/b] needle a day (from CAJA) when I use 5 or more insulin shots a day. They use the older insulin which means I personally don’t have as good control as when I was on Lantus and humalog…. Now they give me NPHr and NPHn. “[/i]

Hopefully this info helps.

Harperanne

When I was in Puntarenas back in January, I went to a pharmacy and bought a vial of Humalog. Of course I wasn’t using Caja and paid cash. I guess I’ll just need to stock up each time I go back to the states. Thanks for the update.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Harperanne, if you can replenish the supply of insulin in your pump yourself, using insulin you can buy over the counter in Costa Rica, and if you can maintain the pump yourself, then that puts a very different face on your question. As long as you are not reliant upon local resources to keep yourself well, you should be all right.

The remaining question is whether those conditions can be met.

majicmerlin4

IM A DIABETIC TOO THAT TRAVELS TO CR. I THINK THE QUESTION TO ASK IS THERE ANY EXPAT. DIABETIC’S ON THIS FORUM THAT CAN GIVE ADVICE AS TO THERE EXPERIENCES.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]This is copied from another post elsewhere:

[i]”CAJA provides NO TESTING SUPPLIES AT ALL… no meter,strips etc…Get this.. I get [b]one[/b] needle a day (from CAJA) when I use 5 or more insulin shots a day. They use the older insulin which means I personally don’t have as good control as when I was on Lantus and humalog…. Now they give me NPHr and NPHn. “[/i]

Hopefully this info helps.[/quote]

Sounds like what Obamacare will eventually look like….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Sounds like what Obamacare will eventually look like . . .

and you know this because . . ?

Versatile

[quote=”bogino”][quote=”costaricafinca”]This is copied from another post elsewhere:

Hopefully this info helps.[/quote]

Sounds like what Obamacare will eventually look like….[/quote]

A medical thread going political. Why?

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]majicmerlin4[/b] this question [i]has been asked before[/i], but obvious;y not to many diabetics are on this forum…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.