Genetic Roulette

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Genetic Roulette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

This movie is available online until September 22. Please watch it and share it with everyone you know. The GMO issue is one that affects all of us, including our animals, and our planet. If you have health problems, you might want to investigate whether you are unwittingly consuming GMOs in your packaged food. So far there are no GMO crops in Costa Rica and those of us who are fighting this issue want it to stay that way. If you are still living in California, vote Yes on Prop 37. We have the right to know what is in our food.
    http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

aguirrewar

is Monsanto at it again??

maravilla

they’re always at it and they won’t stop until they control the world’s food supply. if you’re inclined to give me grief about this issue, save your breath.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We unwittingly ate the best tasting corn last year that we had ever had in CR, and after finding out how much per kilo the seed cost, we are convinced it was GMO.
    A ‘former’ American friend …who is addicted to RoundUp … contacted Monsanto directly wanting to purchase GMO corn seeds and was told that they were not permitted to sell it.
    The farmer who grew the ‘great’ corn had a large farm in Cartago but had leased property in Guanacaste to grow it, where conditions are better.

maravilla

it probably wasn’t GMO if they are not allowed to import it. if it was Bt corn you probably would’ve gotten sick.

costaricafinca
    Participant

The farmer could have purchased it elsewhere….

maravilla

stupid is as stupid does.

rosiemaji

I think that Costa Rica has banned GMO seeds but someone could possibly sneak them in. I would be very leary of buying corn from anyone who could have possibly done that.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Do you think they would tell you that these are grown from seeds gotten illegally? It is very easy to order seeds online, from many companies or just bring some back with you.
    The farmer told our friend who leased him the property, that he paid $150 per kilo. And he Knew he could sell his very tasty corn. He did say, that the specific corn seeds required much more TLC immediately after planting, and there was much more labor involved. It was only after I said, I would keep some kernels, that I was told that they [i]probably wouldn’t germinate…[/i]

maravilla

and this is why customs should confiscate any seeds brought in. that doesn’t seem cheap though for a kilo of corn. if it were me, and i knew who this person was, i would report him to the ministerio of agriculture.

VictoriaLST

For thousands of years, we have been genetically engineering our food. We learned to cross-pollinate crops for a larger seed heads, greater sugar content, more protein. We bred a prize bull to certain cows for higher milk production or more meat. We genetically engineered for food and for vanity (how else did the wolf become the Chihuahua?).

We have genetically engineered for thousands of years, we just didn’t know how to do it quickly. Now we do. The danger lies in relying on a single type of seed to the exclusion of others. As for the engineering? I really prefer a Golden Retriever…..

maravilla

we did not have terminator seeds, or round-up ready seeds, or seeds that contain their own pesticide and toxins that are potentially harmful to the planet, animals, and to humans. what monsanto is doing is radically different that what has been done in the past. remember when they came out with the GMO tomato and it fell flat in the market because nobody would buy it? well, those of us who care about our health and the health of every other living thing, do not want what monsanto is offering and neither do a lot of other countries. what they are doing now has never been done before and it has never been proven to be totally safe either, in fact, it is quite the opposite and you can watch the video to learn the ways in which these seeds are potentially harmful.

maravilla

and for anyone who thinks those of us who live in Costa Rica are immune to this issue, please read this letter from the organic consumer’s association. this is a battle that all of us must fight. it’s just that simple.

http://organicconsumers.org/letter-9-18.htm

VictoriaLST

So companies want to engineer plants that have a greater yield and make their own pesticides so that we can reduce the spraying of harmful chemicals on our plants (and into the air) and feed more people. How is that a problem?

maravilla

that’s the propaganda, but it isn’t the truth. the yields are not bigger, and they need to use more powerful pesticides because the bt stuff isn’t effective, so basically they have not accomplished anything. gmo’s will not save the world from starvation — there is plenty of food; in fact there is a food surplus. if you would take the time to watch the video and become familiar with the lies they have been spreading, you wouldn’t have to raise these issues because they are not real issues — they are what those chemical companies want you to believe. and now there are more virulent pests that are immune to the bt crops, so they’ve actually created a bigger problem than they had before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.