gasoline and your debit card theft

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum gasoline and your debit card theft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    barbara ann

We use a debit card for our gas. Twice we caught the people at the station overcharging and got lucky. the usual station we stop at going out of Jaco is under maintenance so we had to stop at LA PUESTA DEL SOL…

We were very careful to check our receipt and the signed copy.. we checked our account today and they double charged us for the gasoline plus and additional charge for a second transaction. Two charges for 60+ and another for 40+ on the same day and time. which is impossible.

I dont know what we can do except to warn people not to use their debit card at that station and check at all stations to be sure you are being treated honestly. It is a shame.:(

VictoriaLST

Thanks for the tip on this. Have you contacted the card company and let them know about the bogus charges?

barbara ann

My husband went there to show our bank statement and receipt tonite. they said we were not there and have to come back and look at the camera to prove we stopped. We are contacting the bank in the morning, It is the station just before you get on the highway at the Jaco exit.

waggoner41

[quote=”barbara ann”]We use a debit card for our gas. Twice we caught the people at the station overcharging and got lucky. the usual station we stop at going out of Jaco is under maintenance so we had to stop at LA PUESTA DEL SOL…

We were very careful to check our receipt and the signed copy.. we checked our account today and they double charged us for the gasoline plus and additional charge for a second transaction. Two charges for 60+ and another for 40+ on the same day and time. which is impossible.

I dont know what we can do except to warn people not to use their debit card at that station and check at all stations to be sure you are being treated honestly. It is a shame.:([/quote]

I do not understand why on earth anyone would pay for anything with a debit card.

Our bank is in the U.S. and we withdraw cash in colons at the local banks to pay for everything in Costa Rica. I never occurred to me to use a debit card to pay for our needs even in the U.S.

You leave yourself open to fraud just as you have experienced. Once they have your debit card number they have free access to your bank account.

davidd

Never EVER

pay anything here in costa rica with debit card

only credit card from the U.S. or cash

once something happens the premise falls on you to fix it which can takes alot of time.

once i had an atm NOT spit out $100 cash but the receipt stated I got the money

the hassle to get that $$ back was NOT worth the trouble

maravilla

this scam was alive and well in the US too, so it doesn’t JUST happen here. pay cash. it’s a lot easier and safer.

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]Never EVER

pay anything here in costa rica with debit card

only credit card from the U.S. or cash

once something happens the premise falls on you to fix it which can takes alot of time.

once i had an atm NOT spit out $100 cash but the receipt stated I got the money

the hassle to get that $$ back was NOT worth the trouble

[/quote]

I’ve never had an ATM short me but if it ever occurred I would still have more faith in the ATM than I would in paying for anything with either a credit or debit card in Costa Rica.

I reserve my credit card for paying for necessities online that I don’t have the cash for.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This was posted in he wrong place by barbara ann and reposted here by Scott

gasoline station update

Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Edited 12/05/12 10:21 AM
    from 190.10.25.12

I just had to mention that the gasoline situation at La puenta del sol, overcharging for both credit cards and cash is being resolved we think. According to the manager they fired two men and a third will be fired, What they were doing was targeting Gringos because they felt we would not notice or not bother to come back because we were not residents if we were overcharged. so this has been going on for awhile. We had another place across from Pricesmart in Escazu that tried the same thing, When we confronted them on that occasion they gave us the difference in mils.,funny it was always ten mils. So this may not be isolated, Just check the pump and your receipt because we make good targets. We will be refunded our overcharge from la puenta del sol…

raggedjack

Do they have ‘Pay at the Pump’ in Costa Rica?

maravilla

no pay at the pump here that i know of. we actually have attendants who fill your tank, clean your windows, check your tires, check the oil and water. you know, how it used to be in the US in the 80’s. tipping these attendants C200 or C300 gets you great service with nary a rip-off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.