Furniture shopping help

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Furniture shopping help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

We are looking for a high quality leather sofa & love seat, traditional (not modern) styling. Any suggestions on where to start looking? We are trying to limit our search time to one overnighter.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Rf2cr”]We are looking for a high quality leather sofa & love seat, traditional (not modern) styling. Any suggestions on where to start looking? We are trying to limit our search time to one overnighter.

All assistance gratefully accepted.[/quote]

Try La Artistica, we have bought a few things there and been very pleased.
    http://www.laartistica.net/home/

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Rf2cr”]We are looking for a high quality leather sofa & love seat, traditional (not modern) styling. Any suggestions on where to start looking? We are trying to limit our search time to one overnighter.

All assistance gratefully accepted.[/quote]

Leather up by the lake? Are you sure about that? 🙂

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”imxploring”]
    Leather up by the lake? Are you sure about that? :-)[/quote]

I was going to ask the same question about leather down near the beach???

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Speaking of furniture appropriate for living in Costa Rica, can I assume that bringing my oriental carpets with me when I move is not a good idea? I’ve seen lots of pictures of houses in CR and noticed that they never seem to have carpets. Is that because of mildew?[/quote]

I have several carpets on the floor of my home on Lake Arenal… all synthetic fiber. Breaks up the hardness of living on all tile floors. Moisture is an issue so natural materials are not really an option. Most I brought from the states as carpets in CR do not provide much selection and are rather expensive.

This might not be an issue in the dryer areas near the beach. Think seriously before bringing your stuff to CR when relocating. Besides the cost and potential for breakage the items you bring might not be suited for this environment. Friends brought a shipping container of stuff only to see most of it destroyed within a couple of years. Leather couches and moisture don’t do well…. neither did the baby grand piano!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Thanks. So probably not a good idea to bring my wool orientals with me then. Dang, I paid quite a bit for those and I hate bare floors. There’s no anti-mildew stuff that might work available? Breakage wouldn’t seem to be an issue.

I don’t plan on bringing any furniture with me other than artwork, electronic gizmos, office furniture (desk and bookcases), lamps and a few decorative things like vases, etc.[/quote]

sweikert –
    when you make the move to CR, where will you be moving to? do you already have a place or property here?

lyncota
    Participant

Here is a floor covering option that you may want to explore. Laurel makes beautiful things!
    http://laurelsoriginals.com/interior-home-design/
    I would definitely leave the wool rugs at home. However, you will want something cushy underfoot for say, the kitchen area where you might do a lot of standing. The tile and wood floors are very hard!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]I’m in the VERY early stages of making that decision, but at this point I have come up with a few general criteria: Within 90 minutes of the airport; somewhere where the climate is even so that I would never (or at least rarely) need either a/c or heat; within a few miles of a decent sized town that has good shopping, dining and health clinic; within a mile or 2 of a major highway. Also, as far away as possible from one of the participants of this message board. (You can probably guess which one).

I am intrigued by the idea of buying a lot and building my own house on it but a little leery of the additional complications that might arise from that. But that’s one of the things that I expect to learn a lot more about this fall (see below).

I did like Grecia and Sarchi but those are the only 2 towns of any size (other than San Jose (ugh!)) that I have visited so far. I liked the Arenal area too but didn’t much like the town that my hotel there was close to – can’t remember the name of it.

I will be taking the George Lundquist tour this autumn so I imagine that will help me to narrow my focus. Given my preferences where would you recommend?[/quote]

The areas you mentioned would be great as would Atenas, or up near the lake at La Fortuna, Tiliran, Tronadorra areas.

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″]as far away as possible from one of the participants of this message board. (You can probably guess which one).

[/quote]

Swikert

I know Lundquist very well. this is a small country so I will be keeping an eye on you as well. don’t think you will be able to escape me. because I have to meet you face to face :roll::roll::roll:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.