Furniture Makers

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Furniture Makers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jdwire

I’m trying to locate someone that will make furniture from pictures and high level specs. My home is in the process of being built a little south of Domincal. Anyone know of someone in the area?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I was delighted with the new kitchen built for my home (using furniture magazine photographs) by the people featured in the article below:

‘Furniture in Costa Rica – Sarchi is a good place to go…’ which you can read at:

They are NOT in Dominical, they are in the furniture capital of Costa Rica – Sarchi – but they do deliver all over the country.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

My wife and I toured seeral of the furniture showrooms and shops in Sarchi for an entire day and were thrilled to see the same level of craftsmanship you would find at an Amish or Scandinavian store in the states for 1/4 the cost.

jdwire

I went to Sarchi on my last trip and visited quite a few furniture stores. I just am not sure which to pick. Was there a particular store you had hand-craft your furniture?

makohan

I have an old friend whose name is Enoc Rivas. He lives in Valle de la Estrella about 45 min. south of Limon. His father is a very talented furniture maker. You might want to check them out. I don’t remember his exact address, but if you inquire at the bar at the entrance to town, the proprietor is a friend of Enoc’s and could direct you to the shop.

John H.

Thanks for sharing you experiences regarding your trip to Sarchi and for your excellent write-up w/pictures .( https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/842.cfm). My wife and I are trying to plan furniture purchases for our second home/rental 3 bdrm. condo currently being built in the Herradura/Jaco area (not too far from Sarchi).

We are not sure whether the stores in Sarchi, as described in the article, are more tourist oriented focusing on collectable items such as rocking chairs, benches and other specialty items or whether it is a place where we could do some ‘serious shopping’ to outfit our entire condo. Our trip in December is short and ‘jammed full’ of things to get done, so having a ‘one stop shopping’ destination (possibly Sarchi)with a good selection, reasonable prices and short turn around delivery would give us a great advantage.

Perhaps you could give us some additional insights:

1. Furniture styles: We saw some pictures posted from one store in Sarchi While the rustic hand crafted, homemade look is OK for the traditional CR rocking chair, we were looking for more traditional pieces to fit out our unit (i.e. night stands, writing tables, sofas, lamps, etc.).

– Do any of these stores carry a more traditional style of furniture (suitable for a rental condo, etc.)? As I magnify Scott’s picture, it looks as though there is agood variety.

– Do some of the (non-touristy) furniture stores in Sarchi sell accessories such as lamps, box springs and mattresses, wall hangings, etc. (if so, we could get everything at one destination)?

– Are there any particular names of stores that you would recommend? (We’ll mention your name!). I spotted the Cuyo Rodriguez store mentioned. Any others?

2. Pricing: Is the pricing the typical two-tiered pricing? (You know, one price for Gringos and one for everyone else.).

– Also, can you negotiate a discounted package price? (you at least gotta try!)

– If so, if you negotiated a price, do you recall what percentage they dropped the (sticker) price?

– Are most transactions cash at time of sale, credit card, or some cash at time of sale and the rest upon delivery?

3. Delivery: How long does it take to get the furniture? As you know, in the US many furniture stores don’t stock or sell off of the showroom floor. They take your order and then tell you it will be 4 – 6 weeks.

We are trying to combine a trip to close and buy furniture and, ideally, have it delivered during our 7 day stay. Too much to hope for?

– So, assuming we find what we want, any idea as to how quickly they can set up for delivery?

4. Web sites: Although this may be unlikely (per the comment in the article) , do you know if any of these Sarchi stores have web sites? It would be great to at least some sample and have a few stores in mind to prevent rambling around when we have such limited time.

I know this is a long list and you may not have the time to devote to answering this ‘Quiz’ ! :- ) Any information would be greatly appreciated!

John H.

Hi John,

My co-owners and I are interested in furnishing our new Sol y Mar condos (beachfront) in Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste. Your “quiz” exactly expressed what we have been inquiring about. Did you ever get any answers to your questions? There are 12 owners and we each have 3 bedrooms and baths and large patio and living areas. If you found a place suitable for bulk purchases or that might work with us via email etc. please share!! CarolWesterman@aol.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.