Forum Usage

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Forum Usage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    orcas0606
    Participant

I normaly check WLCR forun daily and lately I am not seeing the usual number of posts. Is it my imagination or is it for real? If so, what is the reason? The site has become quite boring and not nearly as interesting. What a shame. A lot of valuable info has been posted on WLCR. I hope it will continue.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am always interested in hearing our VIP Member’s ideas about how would you would suggest we make this website less “boring” and more “interesting”

Please let me know….

Scott

bogino
    Participant

Possibly a number of Expats that used to post regularly on here have gone home?

I too have noticed a “slowdown”.

There used to be a gentleman, David Murray (I believe I have that right) that used to post frequently and was wondering what happened to him since have not seen any posts for a long time.

costaricafinca
    Participant

So…those with a retrograde attitude stay and the one who posted good and informative information goes…:roll:

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am very grateful for David Murray’s contribution over the years but this forum is made up of more than one person and as usual with Forums, there are a LOT more people watching and learning than there are actually participating in the Discussions.

davidd

[quote=”Scott”]I am very grateful for David Murray’s contribution over the years but this forum is made up of more than one person and as usual with Forums, there are a LOT more people watching and learning than there are actually participating in the Discussions.
    [/quote]

I can attest to that in fact from my experience the ratio to people posting and lurking is as high as a few hundred to one.

what has your experience been with the amount of active members on the forum that lurk as opposed to posting??

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”bogino”]…David Murray..was wondering what happened to him…[/quote]

I met David Murray on my last trip in June and he made it clear that he was fed up with some of the retrograde attitudes expressed here by some of the regular participants, so he decided not to participate on this message board any more. He still participates on the ARCR message board.[/quote]

I too enjoyed many exchanges with David… and no… We didn’t always agree… I’d hate to think he took his ball and bat and went home when others didn’t agree with his experiences, advice, or opinions. I find the use of the word “retrograde” rather funny however! 🙂 I guess it depends if he was using it as an adjective or noun…. either way I take it that he was use to being listened to rather than spoken to… hard trait to break later in life.

I read and post. I don’t find the forums boring at all. I think usually the people who are bored are looking too much for others to entertain them. If someone is bored, then post something interesting. Here’s my question. After moving to CR, did you do more of what you love? I plan to rest, bike, learn to cook, work on art, read a ton, no garbage, just really marvelous authors including Pablo Neruda, Tolstoy, maybe start a blog, an animal rescue. The mind is a wonderful playground. Why bored?

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]
    … just got tired of people who do nothing here but complain, complain, complain – and what’s worse, keep complaining about the same damn things over and over. (Sound familiar?)
    [/quote]

Maybe someone ought to follow his own words “Live and let live. And if you cant do that, at least stop complaining about it” … lol.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”] either way I take it that he was use[d] to being listened to rather than spoken to… [/quote]

As usual, you have it wrong. I read many of his posts dating back to well before I joined this forum. And it is obvious – to me anyway – that your characterization is entirely off the mark. It’s shameful that you would feel the need to disparage him when he’s no longer even here to defend himself. Pretty low blow.

Maybe he just got tired of people who do nothing here but complain, complain, complain – and what’s worse, keep complaining about the same damn things over and over. (Sound familiar?)
    [/quote]

Funny…. some how I figured you and David would get along splendidly! Did he let you hold his cat? LOL

As for “complaining”…. I guess all those folks complaining about the lack of affordable health care in the US should have been told to be quiet and stop complaining… or is it only issues that YOU deem to be worthy that are permit to be discussed and subject to debate and discourse?

Perhaps we can limit our postings to issues YOU deem worth the time… but then again… you don’t live in CR nor have an investment here…

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]Did he let you hold his cat? [/quote]
    I did pet his dog briefly but I vigorously deny any carnal knowledge of his cat.

[quote=”Imxploring”]I guess all those folks complaining about the lack of affordable health care in the US should have been told to be quiet and stop complaining.[/quote]

You’re confusing “complaining” with “advocating for change through the political system”. The latter is right and proper and the former is annoying and futile.[/quote]

So the Boston tea party was advocating for change rather than a criminal act of a bunch of complainers? Or will you be reeducating US on American history as well? I think the British (the ruling authority at the time) saw it as annoying and futile…. but we know how that worked out…. don’t we. Or perhaps those involved were simply a bunch of complainers by your definition that should be dismissed as an annoyance?

I guess YOU can choose to label causes that don’t impact YOU as annoying and futile…. but I’m guessing that folks in CR that are actually impacted might have a different view from yours.

How about your feelings on the OCT 1 change whereby the government of CR will be impounding 2% of all credit/debit transactions that are processed by businesses in CR?

I’m sure it doesn’t impact you… but for those of us with businesses in CR it does. Are we simply being annoying/complainers when we have a problem with such an act of government?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]The incident that became known as the Boston Tea party was a futile (and illegal) act. The tea that was destroyed was owned by private merchants so the victims of the crime weren’t even the British government. The loss of that tea didn’t change anything at all between the colonists and the king back in London. I wish I didn’t have to re-educate you on American history but someone has to when you get it wrong.

To put your understanding of the Boston Tea Party into modern perspective, it would be as if some yahoos dressed up in costumes came and stole those assets you had to pay that transaction fee on because they objected to the fee being imposed. You would approve of that? Seems rather odd to me.

Whenever I use an ATM that isn’t owned by my bank, I get charged a transaction fee too – something I hate and which seems unjust to me. But I don ‘t post whiney comments on message boards about it because – wait for it – it wouldn’t do a damn bit of good.

If your constant complaining actually changed anything then you might have a point – but it doesn’t, so you don’t.[/quote]

The act was against a government tax…. as to being futile or illegal…. I guess the eventual change in “management” in the colonies proves your perspective quite wrong. The American Revolution followed…. as to your logic that one had nothing to do with the other…. I’m at loss. You also might want to read up on the “private” owners of the tea and their relationship to the Crown.

And once again… any issue that doesn’t impact you is unimportant and dismissed.

Your analogy of a FEE paid for a SERVICE of a private bank which has incurred a cost to provide you with that service when using an ATM has absolutely no correlation to the arbitrary impounding of monies by the Costa Riacan government on credit/debit transactions. If you had any clue as to how things work in CR you’d know that getting that money back once it’s determined the business has met or has no tax liability will be next to impossible. Perhaps when you have some actual experience or first hand knowledge of the topics discussed your imput will have more credibility and value.

Simply rolling over when governments start falling off the tracks is a dangerous attitude… as I’m sure your people can attest to…. isn’t the saying “Never again”? Compliance and being complacent is a dangerous attitude in these times.

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]The incident that became known as the Boston Tea party was a futile (and illegal) act. The tea that was destroyed was owned by private merchants so the victims of the crime weren’t even the British government. The loss of that tea didn’t change anything at all between the colonists and the king back in London. I wish I didn’t have to re-educate you on American history but someone has to when you get it wrong.

To put your understanding of the Boston Tea Party into modern perspective, it would be as if some yahoos dressed up in costumes came and stole those assets you had to pay that transaction fee on because they objected to the fee being imposed. You would approve of that? Seems rather odd to me.

Whenever I use an ATM that isn’t owned by my bank, I get charged a transaction fee too – something I hate and which seems unjust to me. But I don ‘t post whiney comments on message boards about it because – wait for it – it wouldn’t do a damn bit of good.

If your constant complaining actually changed anything then you might have a point – but it doesn’t, so you don’t.[/quote]

Having just read your post, I find myself sitting here in absolute amazement!

The Boston Tea Party was the first significant act of DEFIANCE by American colonists and is a DEFINING event in American history. The implication and impact of the Boston Tea Party were enormous ultimately leading to the start of the American Revolution.

“The Dye is cast: The People have passed the River and cut away the Bridge: last Night Three Cargoes of Tea, were emptied into the Harbour. This is the grandest, Event, which has ever yet happened Since, the Controversy, with Britain, opened!” ~ John Adams to James Warren, December 17, 1773

Haven’t you ever heard of the concept of cause and effect?

Positive changes don’t come from the goodness of our legislator’s hearts. They come slowly with the first event (the cause)being the years of people talking, grumbling, and “complaining” amongst themselves about the injustice (which is what ultimately leads to formalized groups that advocate for change through the political system and sometimes, such as with the Boston Tea Party, outside of the existing system and revolt).

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]…as I’m sure your people can attest to…. isn’t the saying “Never again”?[/quote]

Which people would that be?[/quote]

I’m at a total loss as to how YOU alone have made the determination that The Boston Tea Party, one of the most important events in American history, was illegal and futile and simply dismiss it… that says it all. No need to enlighten us… your true colors have shined through…. Davidd has it right… you love to engage in self pleasuring yourself while trying pretend to be the smartest guy in the phone booth.

Happy trails there Steve….

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]You two are woefully ignorant of your own country’s history. The revolution was not about taxation, but about the lack of representation in parliament for American colonists. The [url=http://www.ushistory.org/us/9b.asp]taxes paid by American colonists was inn fact signficantly lower than that paid by British citizens in Britain[/url].[/quote]

More of your manipulation of the FACTS…. it was about TAXATION without representation! You conveniently left that part out. And once again… you blow more smoke…. so what if colonists paid less taxes… they were NOT receiving the same services as citizens in Britain.

Keep trying Steve…. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.