Forum Moderators: “There goes the neighborhood.”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Forum Moderators: “There goes the neighborhood.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    davidd

😀

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]Well Ladies and gentlemen
    being that David Murray is now forum moderator I must bid you all farewell and wish you all a merry Christmas.
    Having Him as forum moderator reminds me of a cross between nancy pelosi and Barney frank
    :shock::shock::shock:[/quote]

I think he has been a Forum Moderator for quite some time already and you see very, very few interruptions or deletions by “the Moderator”.

And, if you are concerned that David is too far to the left for your liking, please rest assured that there are plenty who will feel I am too far to the right! (In the past I have been accused of being just to the right of Attila the Hun!) But I try my hardest to avoid the political discussions on this Forum or with friends. My feelings are that you may have and hold whatever political and religious feelings that suit you, just don’t try anfd force them on me!

But the Moderator’s role is not to control the discussion along the lines of one’s political leaning(s). It is solely to help Scott make sure that no vulgarity, crudeness, threats, personal insults or the like get published, and that people learn to “navigate” the Forum and are directed to existing discussions that may already answer their questions.

I wrote Scott just a few days ago and ask him if there was anyway to redirect the Forum to its original intent which I understood to be helping people learn more about Costa Rica as they plan a move or visit here, helping those of us that are already here gather more information about living here, and sharing resources that will make living here a little easier! I specifically asked Scott if there was anyway to limit all of the political rants and raves (left and right) and warned him that I was beginning to see something even worse than politics being introduced – RELIGION!

Scott responded by asking me if I would like to be a moderator because he is so busy already. I actually never said yes, in fact I responded to his invitation by telling him that I was very busy as well, but I did ask “what does a moderator do and how much time does it take?”

Next thing I know, I be a “Moderator”.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with discussing politics and religion, but I don’t think that was the intent or purpose of the Discussion Forum on [b]We Love Costa Rica[/b]. There are other blogs and forums created solely for those purposes.

So I think it will do all of us well to review the guidelines published by Scott and I would hope that (like David) I seldom have to “moderate” as a Moderator, and I hope everyone sees the value of limiting our entries on the Forum to things about visiting, living (coping) and loving Costa Rica, pro or con.

To each of you, I sincerely hope that you have a great Holiday Season and a healthy and prosperous New Year!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]Well Ladies and gentlemen

being that David Murray is now forum moderator I must bid you all farewell and wish you all a merry Christmas.

Having Him as forum moderator reminds me of a cross between nancy pelosi and Barney frank

:shock::shock::shock:

[/quote]

For those who may not know, I have been Scott’s assistant moderator since davidd was in short pants. Prior to that assignment, I began moderating online forums in the mid-1980s.

As for the comparison to Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank, I take that for the compliment I know davidd intended.

maravilla

and guess what, kids? at one time even i was a moderator.

i think it’s good to discuss politics as it pertains to costa rica AND how the politics in the States affect what happens here. if you think it doesn’t, then i can’t help you. so many people move here and haven’t even a scintilla of a clue about the political system in costa rica, why it does what it does, and why gringos bitching about it is never going to change one little thing. no, costa rica is NOT like the US, thank goodness except that we have obamacare!!! jajaja

As for religion, well, this IS a catholic country and that drives a lot of attitudes and thought processes and dictates social mores. it’s good to have an understanding of these things BEFORE you move here and try to change it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Since 2006 DavidCMurray’s has been an invaluable part of our Discussion Forum…

Many of our VIP Members are indeed retired but they still lead busy lives and DavidCMurray – especially – has spent a lot of time in our forum HELPING people and sharing his knowledge and experience about living in Costa Rica…

David and I certainly do not agree on everything but I consider him a very important part of WeLoveCostaRica.com’s Discussion Forum so once again – Muchisimas gracias David…

Scott

PS. I hope you will please forgive my lack of attention here recently but my old Dad is in hospital in Scotland so I’ve been a bit distracted.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You are overly kind, Scott.

This may not be the right place to write this, and it has been in discussion before, I know…..

Dear Scott

could you PLEASE extend the LOGIN time to an hour or so ? Or not limit it at all ? Or create an automatic “save to draft” or such thing ? I try to type fast, or write on a word document first, but I do not always remember to do so because other forums do not have this short login time and one gets used to be logged in forever. I just lost a large PM (cry !!!)

aguirrewar

I second that motion

Sailor

Left or right, some of us came to Costa Rica to escape the U.S. political dog-and-pony show. Pura Vida.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Sailor”]Left or right, some of us came to Costa Rica to escape the U.S. political dog-and-pony show. Pura Vida.[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth!

[quote=”aguirrewar”]I second that motion[/quote]

It was a message to you I lost, I will give it another try after I finish with all my christmas cards and other stuff on the “Christmas-to-do-list” in a couple of days.

Merry Christmas 😀

aguirrewar

I understand

Lotus123

Best wishes to your Dad Scott!

Lotus123

I would also add that I think David has been an excellent moderator. He remains civil, balanced even when others are “less than kind”. It’s no surprise David that you handle yourself so well in the wild west of anonymous online forums with all of your previous experience. Lets have a diversity of opinions but try and be civil, respectful with one another. I think we get to really see the true character of the individual when they post under the shroud of anonymity of a websites discussion board.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

davidd, you promised . . . “being that David Murray is now forum moderator I must bid you all farewell . . .”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.