Flying frozen meats down

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Flying frozen meats down

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    editer

Has anyone done this successfully? In my freezer, I have four smoked butts and six Kielbasa sausages, all in shrink-wrap packaging and all frozen solid. I can’t find a list of what is allowed coming through customs. I know that the sheet we fill in on the plane asks if we are carrying meat, but does that mean all meat will be confiscated? Are certain types of meat (e.g., smoked, processed) permitted?

Beyond legalities; what are the odds that I’m just providing some customs agents with a very happy Christmas? I’m pretty sure that the meat would make the trip in a thermal wrap, but that’s a consideration, also. Anyone have any experience with this?

Another thought before I post this: If I declare that I have the meat in my checked luggage, will the aduana process be more complicated? I don’t want the contents of my luggage scattered about.

editer

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have no experience bringing in frozen meats, editer, but I do have a little general advice. I always list anything of consequence that I’m bringing in, claim my checked baggage, and then go through the “Nothing to Declare” line. Usually, the Customs officer waves me right on through, but if I’m stopped I always tell them “No hablo Espanol, senor.” Only once have I ever been more closely inspected and then they checked the two bags that didn’t have the TV tuner they were looking for.

Depending on the length of your trip, I would think that your solidly frozen meats would do just fine if wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap (unless there’s something better).

teksmith

We bring down groceries every trip like sandwich meats and canned goods that we can’t get in country. We just mark nothing to declare and go on through. the only time we declared anything was when we brought down a tv set, which they noted on my passport so I couldn’t bring another one down later. We do try to have only sealed processed meats or at the very least precooked and frozen which has worked fine for us over the past 2-3 years.

I remember the times before Price Smart even existed and PALI did not have frozen turkeys. So my friends from Oregon broungt their frozen turkey for christmas every year. Others have brought smoked meat and cheese in vacuum packages.
    It is just a question of luck. One time the bags got lost and arrived a day later at the airport, customs called us and told us that they had to open them before sending them to Tilaran (very nice service) and they kept all the food that came in the bag. Another friend prefered to eat his cheese and smoked sausages right at the airport, did not want to share at all!! don’t try that with frozen food!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.