Floor Cleaning – What’s the secret?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Floor Cleaning – What’s the secret?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

For those of you that live here…

You know how the cleaning ladies here always use that ‘folded-towel-on-the-end-of-a-stick’ thing to mop the floors well, my maid just never seems to get whatever mixture it is she’s using right and, I’ve bought dozens of soaps and different types of ‘special’ cleaning liquids for floors and it’s just not working.

It’s either not clean enough or, there is a soapy film on my tiled floors that just feels awful

I do NOT want to change my maid but do any of you have a great tile floor cleaning liquid recipe that wOrks well?

P-U-L-E-E-Z-E?

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sharrack

Scott,
    Tile floors here in Phoenix as well and the EX always used too much soap which leaves a sticky residue WHICH attracts even more dirt!
    If regular cleaning is done then I use almost nothing on the floor in the way of soap.

I use a telescopic handle with a Swiffer type swivel brush head and throw down an old towel wet(not dripping) with hot water.
    the brush bristles stick to the towel and your on your way.
    It’s great for picking up all the dust, hairballs and tumbleweeds that grow on the floor.

Soap on floors is a magnet for more dirt and footprints from your shoes. Hope this helps…….Kenny S>

dhsbooker

Scott,
    When we first had out tile floors installed, the man who installed them(who also did a lot of commercial contracts) told us to clean them with just some plain white vinegar in the water. That was initially to take off and dust and film left over from the grout. You probably don’t want her to use it everytime, as supposedly it is supposed to wear down the grout(especillay if too much is put in the water) I would guess it may be 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water? I don’t have an exact science but it does leave the floors sqeaky clean and alot LESS expensive than any chemical cleaners on the market! Sometimes if there is a spot that is real dirty(we have fairly light tile) and walk around barefoot alot in Florida, I will also put a little bleach in the water, but the vinegar and water mixture leaves just a little for shine to the floors. Try it! Sounds like you don’t have much to lose!
    Debbie

For grout, five yers ago I used a top quality Teflon sealer, which has stood up extrmely well on the kitchen floor and backsplash tiles and the bathroom tiles.

Best used after cleaning the grout, or if new applying then. Ask the store staff after reading the product labels

Easy to do, very long-term lasting, cost effective. Available at Home Depot style stores.

Water is the cheapet easiest solvent there is. Key is to give it time to do what itt does best, help lift the dirt and grim.

Along with white vinegar excellent window cleaner as well. Some professional Hi-rise window cleaners use water, vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing soap in a bucket.

For things like laundry detergents/soaps, half the recommeneded amount does the job. Saves $. Saves the environment, since we do not have to drink and recycle the cheimcals that get into our water supply.

Hope this info helps.

curlyonecurlytwo, signing over and out.

PS: Get a good nights sleep Scott, I noticed you are working long late hours into that good night… Bye’ Bye’ Chao Chao ZZZZzzzzzzz

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I sold flooring for a while after I retired. We always recommended a cup of white vinegar in a bucket of water. It leaves no residue, cuts modest grease and grime well, is universally available, and it’s cheap. That’s what I use on our floors and there’s neither a sticky residue nor any streaking.

I mop our floors with a string mop. We have a bucket with a mop wringer (PriceSmart). In damp weather, I re-mop the floors with a second string mop that I do not wet at all just to take up most of the moisture and speed up the drying process. The “towels on a stick” thingie would work as well.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great feedback – Thank you all – Muchisisisisisimas gracias….

Will buy the biggest container of white vinegar I can next week and see if I can train the maid to get it right…

Scott

Jsienski

Scott, Just use plain water after you sweep or vaccuum all the dirt off. Plain water on a mop. It works every time, and then there’s not streaks.

Jackie Sienski

linlsd1

Do you all have Fabuloso in CR? It comes in purple, orange and green. It smells wonderful and I pour a bit in water and scrub my tile with a broom. Then I wetvac it up and my floors shine! No rinsing either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.