First time visit to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum First time visit to Costa Rica

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mjwells56

We are planning on our first visit to Costa Rica, and we (my wife and I) are not if-this-is-tuesday-it-must-be-belgium type of people. I looked at the Caravan tour but fear that it is large group, big bus, too regimented, etc. But if I’m wrong about Caravan, by all means tell me. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences with reliable local tours that could be arranged from the states ahead of time, and that would allow us to customize a tour (or be part of a smaller group tour) that would include our interests (wife: beach, nature, me: culture, crafts, arts, history) in a more relaxed way. We plan on ten days to two weeks and realize we can’t do it all, but want a nice introduction to a country that we have become very interested in due to this web site. Thanks!

watchdog

Rent a 4×4 vehicle, get a good road map, and you’ll be set. If you don’t come in the high season, Xmas to April, you won’t need reservations for accomodation. You’ll be able to see a good part of the Country in two weeks; it’s small, about the size of the State of West Virginia.

costaricafinca
    Participant

While driving your ‘own’ vehicle may be a good idea…it certainly won’t be relaxing.
    I have heard that the trip you mentioned to be very enjoyable and a good mix, especially when you take one that will take you to see the various birds in Monteverde and some of the other ‘must see’ spots…according to some.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

George Lundquist, famous for his monthly tours for aspiring expats, can set up something custom for you, I believe. You can reach George at:

george@glundquist.com

Jeanne

The Caravan Tour is a great introduction to Costa Rica. The hotels are first rate, the food good. You see top tourist spots with a knowledgeable guide. The buses are comfortable with drivers who know what they are doing. It is structured but with enough time to do your own thing if you want. There are no additional costs except for drinks and tips for driver and guide. And of course your airfare. I have done the tour three times and recommend it as an introduction to CR if you are thinking about moving there or to see the country you are living in if you have already moved there. After the Caravan Tour you will have an idea of the area of Costa Rica that you might be interested in. Once narrowed down then George’s tour or another tour in the location of your choice. You will not beat the price.

bogino
    Participant

Buy me a ticket from L.A. to San Jose and I will customize your tours and vacation and drive you wherever you want to go. Been all over…From Dominical to Quepos all the up to Tamarindo to Arenal & Monteverde and all the way down to Puerto Viejo and Gandoca on the Carribean side. I know my way around…speak Spanish and Portuguese and work Cheap!

Seriously though…if you’re comfortable driving in a foreign country and you PLAN AHEAD getting around on your own is not that difficult and probably a LOT more enjoyable and relaxing.

PeteB
    Participant

I agree with most responses that your best bet is to do it on your own. I did it that way on my first trip and it worked out great. If you need any help on planning, please feel free to contact me and I will help you anyway I can.

Mudshark

Here’s a way to do it on your own with help. Last year my wife and I visited CR and had a GREAT vacation. Being the first trip there for us we had the same questions. We used Gecko Trail Adventures. We picked ours tours and hotels thru their site. We were picked up by mini vans from start to finish and they were always on time. We figured we saved some money doing it this way too, as they passed along the deals they received. Enjoy Costa Rica, we did.

mjwells56

Thanks to everyone who responded. We heard some great ideas and we are looking forward to our adventure.

Jim S.

Unless you speak Spanish. I wouldn’t recommend that you rent a car and travel independently. One of the guided tours is a possibility. Another excellent possibility is to hire a car and driver for some or all of your time here. Bilingual, experienced professional drivers are readily available and relatively inexpensive, possibly less than you’d pay to rent your own car.

F.A Skippy

I’ve been visiting since 1986 and rented a car on my very first visit. Back then you had to have a car with a winch to get to Flamingo beach !
    The only Spanish I knew was Surviza and grassy ass. Go for it ! Do yourself a favor and pay the extra to fly into Liberia.
    Do the tours that are often absent from the tour “guides”.
    Rio Celeste. Tenorio, Santa Rosa, Rincon de la vieja,Tilaran/Lake Arenal on horseback. Kayak in Nuevo Arenal,fish in Nuevo Arenal and do your beach time on the Nicoya peninsula.Goofy Gibson paid 24 million for a ranch there so that gives you an idea how cool it is.

I only live 45 minutes from Monteverde and I NEVER go.
    It was the nicest place on earth 25 years ago.

Lonely Planet has a wallet sized Spanish phrase boot. Grab a couple. You’ll get by just fine.

jtd2

Mjwells56, if you still need to hire a driver with a car(she speak/write both in spanish and english, well traveled in Costa Rica…pls. send PM. Thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.