finding a doctor in Jaco area

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum finding a doctor in Jaco area

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DENISE

my son’s wife has been ill for 3 days,,,,severe stomach cramps, vomiting, nausea….can u suggest MD or clinic for them to go to?
    thanks,,,,they think food poisoning,,,,but who knows
    Denise

wmaes47

Denise

I am not a doctor, but it doesn’t sound like food poisoning. Food poisoning doesn’t last for that long.

There is another problem that could be causing the symptoms, Dengue disease. This is transmitted by the female Dengue Mosquito. This disease is wide spread in Costa Rica and this sure sounds like the illness.

This is what I found on the internet:

Most common in older children and adults. Typical symptoms may include:

– Sudden onset of fever (lasting three to seven days)
    – Intense headache (especially behind the eyes)
    – Muscle and joint pain (ankles, knees and elbows)
    – Unpleasant metallic taste in mouth, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain
    – Flushed skin on face and neck, fine skin rash as fever subsides
    – Rash on arms and legs, severe itching, peeling of skin and hair loss
    – Minor bleeding (nose or gums) and heavy menstrual periods
    extreme fatigue

Dengue fever treatment:
    – See a general practitioner (GP) immediately.
    – Wear insect repellent. If you have dengue fever, mosquitoes that bite you may pass dengue on to other people.
    – Your doctor will advise you to drink plenty of liquids and to take paracetamol for fever and pain. Do not take aspirin because it can affect blood clotting.

The most important item to help take care of this disease until you see a doctor is to have her drink plenty of fluids… water and juices…

Edited on Jun 25, 2006 18:24

*Lotus

There is a private clinic in Jaco and Los suenos called C.A.R.E., Good doctors, good luck and let us know if it is dengue.

DENISE

thank you for your info….just got an email from my son….as soon as Robin started on the road to wellness, Grant came down with it,,,but of course his was worse lol,,,,violent vomiting and constant diarrhea….to the point where he was vomiting and passed out….THEN,,,they went to the clinic,,,,Grant said they did blood work, injection in his arm and butt, antibiotics, antidiarrhea meds…all in one hour and $100….he said clinic was great…and they are so happy to be well again….i want to thank you for your help!!!! it was a bowel infection….how they got that i don’t know,,
    G and R are down there for the summer….we will meet them the end of July…how lucky they are to be teachers,,,
    life is good…
    thank you again….
    denise

*Lotus

Glad to hear they are ok!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.