Finally Permanent Residency Approved

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Finally Permanent Residency Approved

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

I started the residency application 5 years ago and finally immigration has approved me ! Ive been married to a Tica for 11 years and have a son born here 6 years ago. Still , it wasnt without a dozen roadblocks along the way without an attorney or even with an attorney .

I can detail all the nonsense ive gone through if anyone wants to hear about it or answer any questions if I can .

Just wanted to share my big sigh of relief !

Andrew
    Keymaster

Congratulations! That did take a long time …

I have always done things with the help of attorneys and runners who now their way around, you obviously have a lot more patience than I do in having completed this process with the help of attorneys …

So are you going to get US citizenship for your son?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Charlie

As far as my son goes , I went to the USA embassy when he was 9 motnhs old and since I still had my residence in the USA I was able to get a Birth of USA Citizen Born Abroad certificate for him , so yes he is a USA citizen . It wasnt a given though, USA requires proof USA citizen parent is living in the USA or has been the previous 5 years , otherwise embassay can deny the USA passport citizenship until child can demonstrate living in USA 5 years

grb1063

We are about to go through the embassy process for our daughter and we have every shred of paper required, even our transcripts back to elementary school from 30+ years ago. We are only doing this in order to make it possible to get her into the states with as little fan fare as possible. We are much more interested in the Costa Rica citizenship and residency aspect. Eventually, we could care less about having US citizenship…it means less with every passing year and could become a major liability with respect to taxation.

Charlie

Oh yeah good luck . My friend has 3 children here ages 6 to about 10 but he never applied for US passports or citizenship for them. Now he recently tried to apply for them to make a trip to the USA and they were all denied USA passports and citizenship because of the fact they have been living here all this time and not the USA. I know once born in CR you are a citizen forever, dont even need a passport to get in only your cedula will work. However, he had to apply for a VISA instead for them and not sure the outcoe yet. I know too when I applied for my son , they asked for my schooltranscripts which I thought was ridiculous , this means nothing except I went to school in the USA many many years earlier in my life, anyways they took my mortgage statements, tax returns , current IDs to prove I was living in the USA. I did this because I still want my son to have his choice when he is old enough.

mediatica

This is a good lesson to show those with children born abroad to US citizens to get a passport as soon as you can. I found the process very easy for my son. However, I did it right away when he was a few months old. I had the opposite happen to me–my mother who is Tica never applied for me as a ‘citizen born abroad’. The age cutoff to apply for CR citizenship/residency via a parent who is a CR citizen is 25 years old. I moved to CR when I was 28 so I had to go about residency via the Rentista route first. I will be applying for CR citizenship in a few years when I am eligible, all because my mom never thought we’d move back to CR. Even if you don’t think you’ll visit the US or Vice Versa, always try and apply right away for the birth abroad of your child. You never know. My son has both his passports and I am sure both will be used in his lifetime. Becky

Charlie

You hit the nail right on the head. My mother is Tica , we lived in Chicagoland my entire life and also never thought would make a move here, even after visiting family so many times throughout our lives. At age 35 when I started the application process I also found out too late for my mom to claim a child for citizenship, in fact, dont even think she knew it could be done from abroad. Yes you are also right , give your newly born kids here the chance to have dual citizenship and get things done right away.

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”grb1063″]We are about to go through the embassy process for our daughter and we have every shred of paper required, even our transcripts back to elementary school from 30+ years ago. We are only doing this in order to make it possible to get her into the states with as little fan fare as possible. We are much more interested in the Costa Rica citizenship and residency aspect. Eventually, we could care less about having US citizenship…it means less with every passing year and could become a major liability with respect to taxation.[/quote]

This is my experience with obtaining a US passport for children born abroad
    with one US parent and one Costarican parent. I stupidly waited until my
    daughters were into their teens to give them the choice which citizenship to
    choose. Off to the Embajada with all the papers; Birth cert, marriage cert,
    Army discharge, proof of presence in CR at time of conception, proof of
    residence in US for 10 years before my 18th birthday et al. The consular officer,
    Robert Silverstein, then demanded DNA proof and not from CR sources but sent to
    the US in the diplomatic pouch. Not being able to afford the $2K at the time, I
    walked away. However still being very very pissed after 6 mos I went back to the
    Embajada and this time there was this very nice lady and when I told her my tale,
    she says, “of course your daughters have the right to a US passport, sign here”
    Luckily, Robert Silverstein no longer is in CR. I hope he is in Mongolia.

ticorealtor

My wife a Tica came to the U.S. about seven years ago. We had a baby girl and two months after she was born she had a U.S. passport and Costa Rica papers. We of course went to houston when she turned 30 days old got her pass port than traveled to Costa Rica and did all the paper work there to get her registerd and citizenship. No problems!

I think it is best to do all that paper work as soon as possible.

Now I am starting the process of getting the Costa Rican citizen ship and the people that we know there say no problem it will take about fifteen days!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.