Finally coming to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Finally coming to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    camby

Booked my flight and room other night, finally coming down to see for myself, can only stayabout 5 days though.

Anyone know best way to get around when on the Guan-coast? From airport?

Also, cannot locate any information, yet, on taking possible boat tours… a lot on jungle, etc, not much on boating…..

Vikes1

[quote=”camby”]Booked my flight and room other night, finally coming down to see for myself, can only stayabout 5 days though.

Also, cannot locate any information, yet, on taking possible boat tours… a lot on jungle, etc, not much on boating…..[/quote]

It depends if you want to explore the coast or stay in one place and take side trips. For example, if you stay in Playa Hermosa or Playa del Coco, it’s only a 25 minute ride from the airport and you are on the beach. You can take side trips from there.

If you want to do that, I can recommend Tico Tours in Playa Hermosa, they have a wide range of tours from land to water. They can also pick you up at the airport and bring you to a hotel or condo rental in Hermosa or Coco for about $60.00.

If you want to explore the coast and stay in different places such as Flamingo, Tamarindo etc I would suggest you rent a car.

All the familiar companies such as budget, avis etc. will pick you up at the airport and are located just off the airport grounds so the return is easy.

It’s the rainy season now so a 4WD would be best just in case, but you can probably see what you want to see by staying on the main roads and book side tours from where ever you decide to stay.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. Rick

costaricafinca
    Participant

Boating tours are not really ‘big’ here along the Guanacaste coastline, so tours are few and far between. Should read, there are tours but most going to the same spot…
    More, if you head to to Golfito and Drakes Bay, but you don’t have enough tome for that

camby

[quote=”Vikes1″][quote=”camby”]Booked my flight and room other night, finally coming down to see for myself, can only stayabout 5 days though.

Also, cannot locate any information, yet, on taking possible boat tours… a lot on jungle, etc, not much on boating…..[/quote]

It depends if you want to explore the coast or stay in one place and take side trips. For example, if you stay in Playa Hermosa or Playa del Coco, it’s only a 25 minute ride from the airport and you are on the beach. You can take side trips from there.

If you want to do that, I can recommend Tico Tours in Playa Hermosa, they have a wide range of tours from land to water. They can also pick you up at the airport and bring you to a hotel or condo rental in Hermosa or Coco for about $60.00.

If you want to explore the coast and stay in different places such as Flamingo, Tamarindo etc I would suggest you rent a car.

All the familiar companies such as budget, avis etc. will pick you up at the airport and are located just off the airport grounds so the return is easy.

It’s the rainy season now so a 4WD would be best just in case, but you can probably see what you want to see by staying on the main roads and book side tours from where ever you decide to stay.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. Rick[/quote]

thanks, will look into that…wanted to stay in Playa del Coco, but compromised w/wife and staying in Hermosa, taking side trips….likely some time in Coco shopping, browsing,etc…..and nto sure if there is a Church in Hermosa, likely to Coco for that…..

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Boating tours are not really ‘big’ here along the Guanacaste coastline, so tours are few and far between. Should read, there are tours but most going to the same spot…
    More, if you head to to Golfito and Drakes Bay, but you don’t have enough tome for that[/quote]
    yes, noticed more into eco-tourism, inland activities or extreme sports,etc…..have a cousin that has land in San Ramon area, was planning to move there, build and spouse a big time boater, was going to start a tour buiz….real estate bust and USA economy put a long hold on that……

Vikes1

[quote=”camby”][quote=”Vikes1″][quote=”camby”]Booked my flight and room other night, finally coming down to see for myself, can only stayabout 5 days though.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. Rick[/quote]

thanks, will look into that…wanted to stay in Playa del Coco, but compromised w/wife and staying in Hermosa, taking side trips….likely some time in Coco shopping, browsing,etc…..and nto sure if there is a Church in Hermosa, likely to Coco for that…..[/quote]

There is a catholic parish in Hermosa and Coco. Also there is non-denominational christian church in Hermosa.
    The catholic church in Hermosa is open air on the sides with all types of flora and fauna visiting during the service.

camby

[quote=”Vikes1″] The catholic church in Hermosa is open air on the sides with all types of flora and fauna visiting during the service.[/quote]

any idea where it is located? could not find on a map, not as clear where the center of town,etc is, where usually a Church is located…….know where it is in Coco..

Vikes1

[quote=”camby”][quote=”Vikes1″] The catholic church in Hermosa is open air on the sides with all types of flora and fauna visiting during the service.[/quote]

any idea where it is located? could not find on a map, not as clear where the center of town,etc is, where usually a Church is located…….know where it is in Coco..[/quote]

Here is a link to the name of the Church. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=b1874794376fe76e2a62129c26e82a15

It’s located just off the main road on the right hand side down a little hill on route 155 as you head south to Coco. Just ask anyone and they should be able to tell you. There really isn’t a central town in Hermosa like there is in Coco. However, I think the beach is a lot nicer in Hermosa. Anyway, enjoy your trip!

lvc1028

Playa Hermosa is a beautiful beach. We stayed at La Finisterra there and had the most gorgeous views. We were there is early Nov and it was so hot. I’d rent a compact SUV while there and do some exploring. We had a very good experience with Budget in Liberia.

We booked a boat tour/booze cruise out of Brasilito, which I think departed out of Flamingo Beach. It was a nice cruise where we got to see so many dolphins, snorkling, etc., and dropped anchor and could swim to an island. I neither drank nor snorkled but had a great time anyway…so pretty out there!

camby

[quote=”loraine”]Playa Hermosa is a beautiful beach. We stayed at La Finisterra there and had the most gorgeous views. We were there is early Nov and it was so hot. I’d rent a compact SUV while there and do some exploring. We had a very good experience with Budget in Liberia.

We booked a boat tour/booze cruise out of Brasilito, which I think departed out of Flamingo Beach. It was a nice cruise where we got to see so many dolphins, snorkling, etc., and dropped anchor and could swim to an island. I neither drank nor snorkled but had a great time anyway…so pretty out there![/quote]

how far is that boat from hermosa? happen to recall teh name of company or a link? Thanks!

lvc1028

how far is that boat from hermosa? happen to recall teh name of company or a link? Thanks![/quote]

I’m not quite sure of distance. I know we were originally staying in Brasilito (catamaran tour was close to there) and then had to meet our lawyer in Cocos, and spent the night at Hermosa instead of Cocos. Everything was quite close to each other. Sorry, I’m about as specific as the Costa Ricans in regard to directions/times!

If you look up Conchal Hotel in Brasilito, it gives a list of excursions, one being the catamaran tour. Since we stayed at that inn, we booked through them. Simon can give you any info that you might need and can book it for you, whether or not you are a guest.

Can’t wait to hear what you think of CR!

camby

[quote=”loraine”]
    If you look up Conchal Hotel in Brasilito, it gives a list of excursions, one being the catamaran tour. Since we stayed at that inn, we booked through them. Simon can give you any info that you might need and can book it for you, whether or not you are a guest.

Can’t wait to hear what you think of CR![/quote]

Found it! thanks for info….:)

Hopefully, will love it!!

johnr

There are also two small churches on the road to Ocotal from Coco and for a boat tour look up the Kuna Vella (sic) out of Coco. They do a number of different types (sunset, snorkle, day time). It’s a motorized sail so you don’t have to worry about winds. There is another place (and I’m sorry I don’t know the name in Coco) just down from the Pacifico Beach Club that also does charters.

I also had some guests that took a boat tour from Hermosa – they hooked up with the guy through the Marriott conceirge.

costaricafinca
    Participant

While I realize that you want to take boat tours because of your interest in building boats, this will [b]not[/b] give you the insight of living in Costa Rica.
    There are no tours offered to tourists that explain unexplainable procedures and how to deal with bureaucracy that one has to get used to … 🙄

lvc1028

[quote=”costaricafinca”]While I realize that you want to take boat tours because of your interest in building boats, this will [b]not[/b] give you the insight of living in Costa Rica.
    There are no tours offered to tourists that explain unexplainable procedures and how to deal with bureaucracy that one has to get used to … :roll:[/quote]

I agree. I suggested the boat tour/booze cruise as he was looking for a boat cruise. We went on a large catamaran from, I think, Flamingo Beach (included transport from hotel in Brasilito). It included some food, lots of drinks, snorkel gear. Lots of dolphins, snorkling, and swimming. A nice, fun, day to be enjoying the water and sunset.

If you want to look at various areas, an SUV will be necessary. And since the country is do diverse, lots of driving will have to be done to see it all for yourself.

Maybe concentrate on one area per trip. Just have fun doing it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.