Figuerres article

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Figuerres article

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

Read the [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/3844.cfm]entire article[/url] and am not even going to get STARTED on how much of this is actually rant…. but… REALLY!

Is there anyone who doesn’t think that the burgeoning population is an immense problem?

How is it possible to live in this amazing country and not be convinced down to the soles of your feet that there are WAY too many of us whose big fat asses are crowding out all the other species! Geez!

conniejog

You said it all right there! Overpopulation of the human species is so terrible that most people deny it completely. And the subject is so political wrong that no one dare discuss it at all. So, what to do with the masses until our earth can no longer support any life at all? Any solution will be seen as wrong, especially the correct solution: stop having so many babies!!

pharg
    Participant

my original response appears to have disappeared before sending, so it is rewritten [with faulty recollection]here. If there are two very similar versions, pick one – the sentiments are the same.

the Table referred to, which may not come through, looks like this:

Global Population
    Year Billion
    1800 1
    1927 2 [127]
    1960 3 [33]
    1974 4 [14]
    1987 5 [13]
    1999 6 [12]
    2011 7 [12]

OK, sueandchris, your post inspires my own rant;

1. I am hoping Figures doesn’t get in again
    2. It’s pretty unlikely that a UN mandate will have much effect on any country other than Kiribati or Liechtenstein
    3. When has ANY UN mandate done any more than marginal good?
    4. After several decades of intermittent research on various biological [marine & terrestrial] I have to say I find the idea of C.R. being a “green” country just a tad hypocritical.
    5. Human-caused extinction of non-human species is estimated at 1000X greater than EVER before [including those ole’ dinosaurs]. This is really just hand-waving number, because nobody really knows what the biodiversity is on land, much less in the ocean.
    6. The population thing (your “fat asses” etc.) is the biggie. This month the population of the planet is 7.04 billion humans. The carrying capacity of the planet varies according to who you talk to, but it’s around 10 billion, beyond which human civilization is in serious jeopardy. At the current rate of increase, 12 years per billion, around year 2050 our grandchildren are in trouble. (see table below, hope it comes through – the brackets are the number of years to add 1 billion).
    It won’t matter whether you live in the U.S., Costa Rica, or Chad, we still have only one planet and until politicians decide to do something about it, we are rolling along towards a mighty high cliff. If I were cynical, I would say we really need WW-III, or a global epidemic of plague, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, Marburg, or all of the above. If I were optimistic I would say, yes, we will deal with it when it is REALLY becomes a crisis. I guess I’m in between, being cynical about any politician’s view of the future beyond the next election. Anyway, sueandchris, thanks for pushing my button.
    PEH 🙁

waggoner41

When it is too late action will be taken. Isn’t this true of all we humans do?

Don’t get caught up in the population projections as our species has proven very efficient at culling our herd. Enjoy the awesome weather, family, and friends. Pay attention to the world around us and always learn. Never despair however for there will always be doom…just around the corner 😉

sueandchris

[quote=”2010pensioner”]Don’t get caught up in the population projections as our species has proven very efficient at culling our herd. Enjoy the awesome weather, family, and friends. Pay attention to the world around us and always learn. Never despair however for there will always be doom…just around the corner :wink:[/quote]

Circumstances have conspired that will lead us to leave our beloved Costa Rica. I have been contemplating how I will spend these last wild and precious times (apologies to Mary Oliver)

I think that I will spend my precious last weeks in Costa Rica filling myself with the cacophonous sounds of birds and the critter noises: roosters, the slither of the iguanas and snakes, the beetles clicking, the vast rush of the wind through the Guanacaste trees, the actual feel of the clouds when they bend low and slide through the house……the smells of the ubiquitous woodsmoke from thousands of tiny fires outside of homes. The roar of the waterfalls and the ROAR of the BIG earthquake as it traveled toward us. I will fill my lungs with air fresca and my eyes with a million blooms. I will listen and listen and listen to the sounds of the children in my barrio laughing and their parents greeting me and sharing a joke. I will go to the coast and stand in the velvety warm surf and greet the great ocean. I will eat all the foods I love both common and exotic.

And when I have done and put all I can into my open, (now-Tica) heart I will close it up SO very tight.

When I leave and return to a land where half the birds have fallen silent, and the voices of children are shut inside their houses, where neighbors barely know who lives on their block, where “designed landscape” is celebrated and wild-scape often destroyed, where native critters are met by exterminators, where the government of the land actually believes in “clean coal” and chants “drill, baby, drill”, where there will never, EVER be enough stuff to fill billions too many empty lives and empty hearts………well……..I’ll still have the lightening of Pura Vida locked inside me.

And [i]whenever[/i] I can, I will come home to Costa Rica. Is the end to “too damn many of us”? Oh, we are for sure going to get whittled….but will it be fast enough for some tiny voice that is just about to go silent? Probably not.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Has anyone ever seen sueandchris (Sue, actually) and sprite together? Are they one?

sueandchris

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Has anyone ever seen sueandchris (Sue, actually) and sprite together? Are they one?
    [/quote]

Shoot…don’t even know who/where she is!!!!!! Sue….the one and ONLY Sue…

camby

[quote=”Conniejog”]You said it all right there! Overpopulation of the human species is so terrible that most people deny it completely. And the subject is so political wrong that no one dare discuss it at all. So, what to do with the masses until our earth can no longer support any life at all? Any solution will be seen as wrong, especially the correct solution: stop having so many babies!![/quote]

um, actually, there are vast areas of the world that could re responsibly setteld and made habitable for man, w/o destruction to environments around them. When everyoen is crowded into cities to teh tune of millions, largely for work, then you ahve a problem. 100, 200 yrs ago, most population was decentralized, more so the farther back one goes. Industrialization was one of biggest contributors to crowding and hence, disease, crime,etc.
    That said, I have to wonder why someone refers to humanity in a detached way of “species” and why the not so subtle, near the surface, loathing of ones own “species”? Wit hte views expressed so far, very Darwinian, the question then has to be asked-if one is Darwinian and lacking in faith in a Creator God to care for us and the earth, then, is not survival of the fittest the rule? and hence, if man is, by nature and intellect, the fittest, then Darwin-speaking, we get to live and rule, run the show. Do we think the dog cares about preserving other species if he is hungry and on his own? No, he kills and eats, even if it is the last ___ of a species on the earth. He does not think “hmm, gotta eat, but if I eat this __, then I might eradicate a whole species and it could cause A, B and C to happen”? No, he sees and eats what he catches.
    So, based on comments, there is a real lack of faith in a Creator God, in charge of His world and we humans NOT in charge.
    Further, its either-the world is going to go to hell in a hand basket, bring in the euthanasia and population control or, perhaps, we can start really living and caring for the world that God created.
    That was the goal and still is, of the Distributist movement, largely still Catholic, though we see it with the Land movement of Wes Jackson and Wendell Berry. Neither of these men are doomsday people, thinking man is to blame for all the wrong and heck, lets contracept and kill mankind off.
    Distributist want man to live, populate and procreate, but live in more decentralized communities with thrift and more organic farming, living (think, somewhat “Little House on Praire” or “The Walton’s”…or the Amish, who got their way of life from Catholicism.
    The “over crowding” was created by man in his pursuit to centralize and destroy local communities. Again, vast areas of this world could be settled and man to live if we want to, and in perfect harmony with nature around. e have to change the way we live, how we do business and work, entertainment,etc….it is insane, I have to drive 50 minutes, one way, to work. Think of that cost, to me, theGovt and the environment.
    The answer, then lies not in the use it up, throw it away conservatism, nor in the self-loathing of our own “species” and the need to self destruct.

camby

[quote=”2010pensioner”]Don’t get caught up in the population projections as our species has proven very efficient at culling our herd. Enjoy the awesome weather, family, and friends. Pay attention to the world around us and always learn. Never despair however for there will always be doom…just around the corner :wink:[/quote]

see my first comments, but to comment on your comment, we have plagues, diseases and wars-thanks to the Neocons, many more…..
    Plus, anyone worrying about the fact of “too many people” can also be the first and the brave and pop themselves off…..most usually dont and want to dictate to others that they must (via contraception, population control, esp via food and vaccines,etc)do. In the end, it becomes a power trip, the brave ones are willing to take the lead.
    In my area, I ehar of people moving, talking down about natives from the area and then after moving, complaining about crowded roads,stores,etc……
    Too many people in CR? then dont move there or if have, leave…..its one thing to complain about expats by native Tico/a’s, but if not…….
    A few professors in recent yrs have made speech how people should be forced to contracept, be kileld off directly, hearded into camps or killed slowly, damaging their DNA and future generations, by food, vacccines,etc…..
    Oddly, not really, they who compalin about “too many people” continue to live, suck up air, food,resources,etc…
    What they really are saying is they are the elite and worthy of life, others are not.
    Just other night, heard some smug women in a Mexican restaurant talking about this and how people are wasting resources getting transplants….my wife, 11 yrs out from a heart ttransplant, heard whole smug, self-assured story from this fat assed woman, who looked like she was near the 5-6 yr mark into Social Security (hence, she is now or soon to use more money up in check and medicare then she likely ever put in).
    Wanted to tell her “hey, if you think people are ‘non productive’, part of her speil, [u]then pop yourself off[/u][b][/b].Ammo is not the expensive”. She openly was talking about euthanasia elderly people. Was tempted to give her a Seig Heil salute, as Hitler started out first that way, prior to Jews and Slavs,etc…..

So in the end, too many people? no trusting in Providence and changes in life to be less comerical/consumerist? pop yourself off then…….

As I believe it is sinful and imoral to commit suicide, kindly dont pop me off, I choose to live……but that is me….

camby

[quote=”pharg”] If I were cynical, I would say we really need WW-III, or a global epidemic of plague, SARS, H1N1, Ebola, Marburg, or all of the above. If I were optimistic I would say, yes, we will deal with it when it is REALLY becomes a crisis. I guess I’m in between, being cynical about any politician’s view of the future beyond the next election. Anyway, sueandchris, thanks for pushing my button.
    PEH 🙁
    [/quote]

I choose, too, not to be cynical and again, if all the “sky is falling” folks want to pop off, then they would truly stand for what they say they beleive in and should be done…..too many people? then, hey, you first!

Sie note, plenty of plagues and disease on its way…..as any Trad-Catholic will tell you, God is soon to chastise, some prophecies state anywhwere between 3/4-2/3 of population not long for this world (see articles on 3 Days Darkness,The Great Chastisement, Fatima, Garabandal,etc….)

sprite

I do not worry too much about over population. The elites have plans and always have had plans to deal with us “useless eaters”. Every once in a while (and lately all the time) they give us wars and murderous poverty. First comes the poverty via the bankers and puppet governments to thin the herds with hunger and disease. Then come the wars to distract the already thinned herds from taking vengeance on the elites.

I don’t think over population is the cause of environmental degradation. I think that is caused by corporate domination of the planet. Unregulated capitalism converts everything, including people, into a monetary value…all to be exploited for profit until there is no more.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”]I do not worry too much about over population. [/quote]

What? [b]WHAT??[/b]

There’s really something you don’t obsess about, sprite? How can this be?

sprite

I think it is a fine line between obsession and focus…and also between carefree and apathy.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”]I think it is a fine line between obsession and focus…and also between carefree and apathy.[/quote]

Yes, and you cross all the lines.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.