Family pets

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Family pets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    furlan99

Kindly advise on policy regarding pets (Dogs, parrots) when relocating to Costa Rica permanently. Would appreciate information or a web site to consult about the requirements of moving to Costa Rica. Banking, social security, real estate agents experienced in ex-pats. Thank you very much.

markus
    Participant

Check the costa rica consulate website nearest to you and read the requirements about pets. Then talk to your vet about it. I just moved with my dog and it was a bit stressful.

First. Your vet must be APHIS certified. This is someone who can fill out the USDA certification letter. Then. Costa Rica has a weird requirement that the vaccinations and deworming must be done exactly 10 days before departure. My vet did not catch this and i had to get an exemption from SENASA.

The Costa Rica version of the USDA 6 days before departure. I was only able to this because i am fully fluent in Spanish. Overnight the letter to the USDA with overnight return envelope and contact them immediately if the envelope does not arrive soon. They only respond via e mail. Good luck

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please also search this Discussion forum for more information on this topic which has been discussed at length.

You can find the Discussion Forum Search engine at: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/search.cfm ]

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”furlan99″]Kindly advise on policy regarding pets (Dogs, parrots) when relocating to Costa Rica permanently. Would appreciate information or a web site to consult about the requirements of moving to Costa Rica. Banking, social security, real estate agents experienced in ex-pats. Thank you very much.[/quote]

I’m just going by memory here and I know it’s been addressed here before. As I recall, when it comes to parrots, getting them into CR is not that troublesome. It’s getting them out of CR, should you decide to leave, that could potentially be a much bigger problem.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Exporting and importing parrots into Costa Rica is a time consuming and very expensive business…and more often than not, unsuccessful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.