Eyeglasses

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Eyeglasses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

We hear and read a lot about the excellent medical and dental care that’s available here in Costa Rica at what are sometimes absurdly low prices, but no one has mentioned buying eyeglasses here. Recently, a guest of ours and I have bought new specs and have been very pleased with the prices and the products.

Our guest replaced a pair of glasses he bought in Canada for about $800CDN for about $200US. He bought them from one of the independent optical shops in Grecia.

I recently bought name-brand frames and lined bifocal Transitions (light-sensitive) lenses with an anti-scratch coating for about $170US. In the past, Marcia and I have gone to Opticas Vision’s store in Pavas (halfway between the American Embassy and Sabana Park). This time, I went to their store in the new Grecia mall. Opticas Vision is the big chain here.

I checked three optical shops in Grecia and found what appeared to me to be sturdy metal frames priced from c9,000 up to the c55,000 ones I bought to satisfy my vanity. At my age, you need all the help you can get. Certainly, however, you could buy stylish frames for well under what I paid.

No one appears to be doing glasses in an hour, but service is reasonably prompt. One independent quoted me a one-week delay. Opticas Vision did mine in three days.

The optical shops all appear to be able to do routine visual acutiy testing, so you can get an up-to-date prescription right where you buy your glasses. Most of them will quote you an all-inclusive price. For a more thorough examination, there are excellent opthamologists associated with CIMA Hospital in Escazu and elsewhere, I’m sure.

Brand-name contact lenses are available here, too, but as a non-user I have no experience with what’s available or the prices. If you wear disposable contacts, however, it may be worth seeing what you can get them for.

Edited on Apr 15, 2009 08:15

Andrew
    Keymaster

Agreed David.

I go to a optician by the name of Raquel Robles in Ciudad Colon and she is superb. The prices are fantastic and she always calls personally me to tell me that my glasses are ready …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

crayzrj

that’s really expensive!!!! try zennioptical.com. i bought for 72.00 a pair of scratch and glare resistant single vision photo-grey lenses with stainless spring hinged frames. of course you need a scrip from any optometrist. quality glasses, ease of order, reliable. thousands of options. beats costco. same thing costs 135.00.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.