Expensive cars vs. atv, etc. in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Expensive cars vs. atv, etc. in Costa Rica

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Do most expats here have cars?

I’ve read in a book written book by an expat that cars in CR oost twice as much to buy in CR than in the US.

So, I can’t imagine that shipping and taxes are quite that expensive so why not just ship a newer car?

What am I missing?

Also, if people live close to town in their chosen community, why not buy an ATV to go to the grocery store and into town?

Is an ATV not affordable?

And then rent a car, etc., when travelling greater distances?

What I understand is that vehicles with a great suspension are most important and cost of gas is important also.

What am I missing?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”lillianwickram”]Do most expats here have cars? I’ve read in a book written book by an expat that cars in CR oost twice as much to buy in CR than in the US. So, I can’t imagine that shipping and taxes are quite that expensive so why not just ship a newer car? What am I missing? Also, if people live close to town in their chosen community, why not buy an ATV to go to the grocery store and into town? Is an ATV not affordable? And then rent a car, etc., when travelling greater distances? What I understand is that vehicles with a great suspension are most important and cost of gas is important also. What am I missing?[/quote]

“What am I missing”………
    Experience!
    Yes, the price, customs and taxes do indeed make them that expensive! The customs guys have their own “blue book” and the duty and taxes are based on that – then you add RTV (minimal) and marchamo (based on the “blue book price + customs + tax).
    Yes, depending on where you live and how often you really need a car, an ATV may well suffice.
    Yes, if you buy a car – and depending on where you live, a great suspension is important – – – as is 4 wheel drive, and diesel vs gas.

costaricafinca
    Participant

After experiencing the road traffic you will soon discover that riding a scooter or road legal ATV is not for the feint of heart, especially when loose gravel is on the road. And although OK for short runs to rural town, you are not going to want to take it into a busy city or the highway…and they don’t carry much cargo. So, do you want the additional cost of another ‘vehicle’?
    We really enjoyed ours until we had a bad accident that left me with a multiple fractured pelvis and other injuries that kept me bedridden for two months, and my husband injured his shoulder and leg. Thank God for helmets!!!

A street legal 2 person ATV is not cheap either.

[url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Customs-and-Trade/costa-rica-importing-a-car-how-much-are-the-taxes.html]Info on importing a vehicle[/url]

VictoriaLST

Buying a car in CR can be tricky. There is no law against rolling back the odometer. New cars may not have all the safety features required in a US bought car which is why the same car may weigh 300 lbs. less in CR than in the US. We shipped our car and are quite happy.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”lillianwickram”]Do most expats here have cars?

I’ve read in a book written book by an expat that cars in CR oost twice as much to buy in CR than in the US.

So, I can’t imagine that shipping and taxes are quite that expensive so why not just ship a newer car?

What am I missing?

Also, if people live close to town in their chosen community, why not buy an ATV to go to the grocery store and into town?

Is an ATV not affordable?

And then rent a car, etc., when travelling greater distances?

What I understand is that vehicles with a great suspension are most important and cost of gas is important also.

What am I missing?[/quote]

This is Costa Rica!

Always try to imagine the unimaginable and, you should certainly always expect the unexpected!

good points, everyone. I think for the cost of buying a car in CR and all the unpredictable elements of that, I’ll probably prefer to ship one and just figure that’s the expense involved. So sorry about your accident costaricafinca–sounds awful. I drive a truck for these reasons. Last summer a kid hit me because he was texting and driving and my truck bumper had a grape sized bump and his car was totalled.

Anyone have thoughts on best vehicles to bring? I understand parts aren’t always easy access there. Any vehicles for which it’s easiest to get parts? Jeeps? I’d like to get a vehicle that’s good for a lot of purposes so a truck would be ideal. Or a jeep?

Cost of car insurance?

Really appreciate this forum.

Savannahjo

Good comments everyone. For us, it will be a jeep wrangler unlimited trail rated and a Yamaha side-by-side viking….which we will use most often where we are located. Both make sense as rugged, good quality vehicles and there is a Yamaha certified dealer only a couple km’s away from us!

costaricafinca
    Participant

The ‘Viking side-by-side’ will have to be made ‘road worthy’ here, with windscreen, wipers, lights, etc before it goes for Ritive inspection and released by customs.
    And, of course, both will have duty due on them 😥

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]The ‘Viking side-by-side’ will have to be made ‘road worthy’ here, with windscreen, wipers, lights, etc before it goes for Ritive inspection and released by customs.
    And, of course, both will have duty due on them :cry:[/quote]

and turn signals, and back up lights, and speedometer, and ……

“both will have duty due on them” ….. and taxes and RTV, and marchamo, and storage before any of that is done. Best advice – get a good, no a great, shipping broker!

Savannahjo

Great points. We have owned in CR for nearly 5 years and have all of these points. The Viking EPS SE model comes pretty close to road approved and they have the kit needed to complete the work. I’m am budgeting 80% of the value of the vehicles as duty, etc. It is an eye-opener, but at least you know the vehicle history. One other point, we are having a special marine grade ‘sealer’ put on it everywhere they can to help fend off erosion. We are near the coast…

costaricafinca
    Participant

You are prepared, but many are not…:wink:

Wow—duty, etc. of 80% of the value of the vehicle? Is this for both new and used vehicles? Maybe I should have some extra parts thrown into the container related to vehicle’s suspension system;). I think for what cars/trucks cost in CR, I’d rather bring my own and yes, know the history of the vehicle. Who will put on this sealer for you?

[quote=”Savannahjo”]Great points. We have owned in CR for nearly 5 years and have all of these points. The Viking EPS SE model comes pretty close to road approved and they have the kit needed to complete the work. I’m am budgeting 80% of the value of the vehicles as duty, etc. It is an eye-opener, but at least you know the vehicle history. One other point, we are having a special marine grade ‘sealer’ put on it everywhere they can to help fend off erosion. We are near the coast…[/quote]

Savannahjo

80% is the general number that folks count on….and it is up to the CR people tp determine the value. the 5 year-old mark is the best time to ship I am told due to depreciation, but not too much! VR does not like older vehicles coming into the country. and, your point about bringing some extra parts is a good idea! you can’t bring in used tires – be aware! the rules are not that difficult and having a reliable shipper is critical. there are only folks I see used all the time and they seem to have it down pat from anywhere to CR. Have fun…

[quote=”lillianwickram”]Wow—duty, etc. of 80% of the value of the vehicle? Is this for both new and used vehicles? Maybe I should have some extra parts thrown into the container related to vehicle’s suspension system;). I think for what cars/trucks cost in CR, I’d rather bring my own and yes, know the history of the vehicle. Who will put on this sealer for you?

[quote=”Savannahjo”]Great points. We have owned in CR for nearly 5 years and have all of these points. The Viking EPS SE model comes pretty close to road approved and they have the kit needed to complete the work. I’m am budgeting 80% of the value of the vehicles as duty, etc. It is an eye-opener, but at least you know the vehicle history. One other point, we are having a special marine grade ‘sealer’ put on it everywhere they can to help fend off erosion. We are near the coast…[/quote][/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

You would also be advised to [i]secure[/i] all spare parts within the vehicle, such as putting them in a lock box.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.