“Exotic ” pets in CR?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum “Exotic ” pets in CR?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Maryellenks

I know that exotic pet ownership is illegal in CR but can anyone point me to the actual, specific regulations? We are moving hopefully within a year or two, but in addition to my cats and dogs,I also have a pet raccoon. Would he be illegal there?

costaricafinca
    Participant

You would be required to provide the info on where and how this pet was originally acquired, and since raccoons are living in the wild here, you may be denied permission to bring it, in case it escaped and reverted to ‘being wild’ and it could possibly pass on some disease.
    I [i]think[/i] you could encounter problems.
    Consider [url=http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/CostaRica.cfm]posting your question here[/url]

CHERYLJK

I can’t comment on raccoons, but when we wanted to know about taking our turtle to CR, we had our attorney contact the agricultural department. We received 6 different documents that we needed to fill out. That website that you were referred to seems very interesting and informative, but your best bet is to contact the agricultural department. Those 6 forms were long and exhausting. It is quite the process to import a turtle, so I can only imagine what it must be like to import a raccoon, if you can even do that. And I should add that everything was in Spanish.

guru

In many US states it is illegal to keep wild animals as pets (including your racoon). You may want to start there as coming from an illegal position may be the end of it in a hurry.

Note that the Racoons in Costa Rica are different than US racoons and they may not want an animal that can interbreed with the local varieties.

VictoriaLST

My only exotic pet is the one I married………

orcas0606
    Participant

How are they different? Do they speak Spanish?

[quote=”guru”]In many US states it is illegal to keep wild animals as pets (including your racoon). You may want to start there as coming from an illegal position may be the end of it in a hurry.

Note that the Racoons in Costa Rica are different than US racoons and they may not want an animal that can interbreed with the local varieties.[/quote]

VictoriaLST

It took a friend of ours 2 years and $5,000 to bring a bird into the country. You may be up against some steep odds with a raccoon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.