Esterillose Oeste Project

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Esterillose Oeste Project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    koty

I was wondering if anyone out there has investigated the “Hills of Esterillos Project? We have money down on a lot and have just recently got some “bad vibes” regarding the project etc. ANy one else know anything?

Koty

koty

Oh, sorry I think I made a Freudian slip. That would be Esterillos not Esteril-lose. Seriously, I just read what I wrote and I made that slip. funny huh?

*Lotus

we considered buying there but decided against it when we found something in the area with more land and let us build and design our own home. Just wondering what the bad vibe was?

dkt2u

Curious too what the bad vibe was. We live in Esterillos Oeste and I have met with Bob and Jeff the builders. From what I have experienced with them they are on the up and up. Some people do not like certain aspects of their project, but I have not heard much in the way of complaints. They are moving along pretty well with the project. They sold out of their Bejuco project and the building there is almost complete.

koty

I think they are in over their heads. In fact, since my last posting they have come back and totally undone a verbal agreement (written up in the form of a contract and verbally agreed to over one month ago) they had with us. Part of the problem may be the Sales manager they have hired who I feel is not a very good communicator or is very unorganized. Also, I think they made quite a few promises to investors regarding getting infrastructure completed and they are now feeling the pressure of not being able to perform. I think this goes to inexperience and making promises to American investors that expect timelines to be met by American standards and not realsitic about Costa Rican issues and time lines. (we really tried to be flexible but because of a lack of communication between the sales manager and the owners they suddenly backed out on a verbal agreement. Actually, I think because of lack of organization they were confused with our contract and another persons demands and suddenly they put us into the “bad clients file”!) Its unfortunate because I truly feel they are honest and hard working and genuinely trying their best. However, as I sit and think about it, it makes me worry that these honest guys who simply want to make a few bucks so they can retire and surf may just get out of the “game” because it is too much of a bother, a headache and unhealthy. According to their contract ( as outlined by our lawyer) this would leave quite a few investors with property that is worth much less than they paid because part of its worth is the promises that went with it. To be fair, though, my gut feeling is that they will try to fullfill their promises because they have integrity. I just hope they are not too jaded by others who have taken advantage of people and the “slow’ legal system in Costa Rica. I think the property in Esterillos is beautiful and feel that the community will be eventually completed. We simply need better communication between a builder and ourselves and will probably not agree to go ahead with our plans. Very disappointing to us as we have invested quite a bit of money (through legal fees and time on our part) and emotional energy to completing a house that we can come home to. AAH but, maybe the forces of the universe are working to come up with a better plan for us and our future in Costa Rica. (said with tongue in cheek….somewhat).

rankingee

Please keep me informed of the situation down there. I have had some correspondence with the sales person at this project and will be visiting in December, but was holding off investment until I got a look at how much progress is actually being made. I don’t know the specifics of your problems with the project, but I certainly have had some concerns regarding the background and experience of the developers. The proof is in the pudding.

koty

I think we have decided to pull out. Our lawyer had found quite a few signficant holes in the contract that put the buyer at risk if they were unable to fullfill their part of the contract or were unable to supply proof of title for the land. We had a verbal agreement to make these changes and then (one month after we agreed) they changed their mind. When I spoke to Bob on the phone he sounded very frustrated and actually said he wanted out of the project. I would imagine their business is quite up and down and could get very frustrating at times when things are delayed. I know they are having trouble getting the roads in and electricity installed and customers are demanding they fullfill the timelines they promised them “or else”. I guess I am glad we found out about their issues now. They said they will refund our deposit. I really do feel they are honest just poor communicators and perhaps too optimistic regarding what can be done when.

lipskm

I did my research online like many other people who are members of this forum. Worked with Paragon, with Wallington Columbus Heights and realized that I don’t need big property. I have visited Costa Rica in January 2006, met Bob and Jeff, looked at the property (from outside of the fence) and back in March of 2006 I have signed contract with CostaRica Ltd. to purchase Lot #25 in new development. Month later but right before they started construction I have realized that I will not get the view I was looking forward to get and I contacted Bob with the request to change the lot. With no hesitation he agreed to make change and provided me with few choices of lots on a hill. The most impressive was the fact that he agreed to keep the same price though lots on elevation costs more money. The house I have purchased is in the build process and I believe that they have roof up already. I am in no rush with the house and delays if any will not anger me. People make choices in their life. To be the first could be dangerous or could be rewarding. So far I know that prices went up and today I would not get the same thing for the price I paid. When all houses are ready in few years’ people will pay much more to get in. Or, to make you feel good much less. Good luck.

koty

Interesting. We put down money for a lot with elevation and agreed to pay more for it. Unfortunately, they now said that they had to bulldoze it down to the bedrock (due to earthquakes) so the elevation is gone and the back of the lot will now look out on a retaining wall (which they also said they had to charge us an additional $7,500 for). You must of been one of the lucky first ones that could send them the capital they needed right away to start the project and chose a lot with few problems. Good for you! Their inconsistency between clients and difficulty doing what they agreed to do verbally scares me a little, but I guess they did what they needed to get the project funded and now are doing what they need to cover their additional and unforseen costs. I hope they will be refunding our money but I bet not until they are able to sell a few more lots as they used their down payments to develop the infrastructure and quite a few people appear to asking for their money back. We are still interested in the development but these changes they have made have scared us off. Good luck to you, am sure you will have a beautiful house soon. We have learned a lot such as, make sure the plat is completed and the lots have been created before putting money down as you never know what is under the earth until you try to move it. So, now we will once again be going to CR to look at property for building.

Koty

jreeves

We bought in the Bejuco project & our house is almost completed. We started our correspondence with Bob & Jeff about 2 years ago, but didn’t begin building until this year. They’ve worked with us at every turn & I believe the Bejuco project is proof of what they are capable of accomplishing & speaks for itself.

You’ve insinuated that you won’t get your deposit back, or at least not in a timely manner, so I do hope you intend to post about what actually does happen with your situation.

Jessica

bobcrltd

dear bloggers,
    we have had to make some hard decisions this week. basically, all clients who have been sitting on contracts have been given the opportunnity to get off of the fence and either commit or leave.
    it is unfortunate, but according to the code of ethics, verbal agreements can be withdrawn at any time by either party. no protection for either party….
    also, i have had a couple of folks who for my information sent the posts from this blog. i appreciate the gist of the messages, which was we work hard and what not, but i think that the fact that in both of the disgruntled cases, a contract was never signed, even though i personally took the time to write a contract with one of the clients special considerations in mind. also the fact that the clients were not willing to deposit the full required amount, should of been foremost in either of these posts regarding their experineces. this is what actually killed both deals. the other client who was venting on the blog, had the same circumstances. contract written in april and no deposit nor signed contract as of june..what am i supposed to do? why is our system acceptable for the 30 clients who have purchased and not accceptable for the 4 others who wanted to write ther own tickets?
    as far as all other specualtions regarding our communities…very far from the mark on all accounts.
    we are of the mindset that there is no such thing as bad publicity and we appreciate anyone who takes the time to mention us in any capacity.
    any how, we wish you all the best,
    sincerely,
    Team Costa Rica Ltd.

rankingee

Bob,

Thanks for the clarification on your project. I for one will be down to visit you in December and check out the progress. By the way, how has the surf been?

rich

bobcrltd

surf has been excellent. i surfed just north of the tree in hermosa this monring. definitely some 10 foot faces, bigger on the sets. i am from texas so anytime it is over head high and i catch waves, i pat myself on the back…
    see you in december.
    bobcrltd

jreeves

Rich – Definitely check out the new development, I was really surprised by the progress that I saw from February to June/July. It is very pretty in that area. ~Jessica

koty

I would like to confirm that what Bob said is true and what I felt I made clear in my initial post. We did not have a signed contract only a verbal/written one that both parties agreed to. We unfortunately assumed that this was enough and intended to sign the contract and hand them the first installment/deposit in person when we go down in November (timing of this was ok’d verbally). As Bob pointed out, not getting this in writing is our mistake. Also, I think he is an honest person and he says that all is well with his communities. I may have unintentionally made some assumptions that were incorrect based on the information I had and assumed that his sudden change with us was due to something going wrong with completing the infrastructure or with the project. I honestly could not imagine what else could have caused the sudden change of heart. I did not intend to hurt them in anyway and only wanted to find out if others had experienced the same difficulties or get some information about what was going on. I felt I answered all questions honestly. I hope that this little exchange gives them some extra exposure. I do wish them the best of luck and will be curious to see how they are doing when we go to CR in November. Also- of course I will re-post when they refund my deposit we sent for holding the lot. You have my word.

Koty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.