Emergency Medical Care

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Emergency Medical Care

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    eehorobec

I’ve searched the database and can’t find any info regarding paramedics in CR. They say that the first hour of a heart attack or stroke is critical to survival. If you don’t live within an hour of San Jose, is there a chance that a paramedic is available to give you the care you need on the way to the hospital? Specifically I’m interested in the Puriscal or San Ramon areas. Also have read that there is a hospital in San Ramon. Does anyone know if this is true and if they are equipped to handle life-threatening emergencies? Any info is appreciated.

dehaaij

Here’s a couple of websites I found through a search for emergencias costa rica.

Emergencias 2000
    http://www.emergencias2000.com/principal-en.html

Emergencias Medicas
    http://www.emergenciasmedicas.net/

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with either or any other.

GringoTico

Paramedics services in CR are from the Cruz Roja (Red Cross). They seem to be everywhere. On one occasion my sister counted more than 15 on a drive from Puntarenas to San Jose.

I really don’t know if there’s an actual paramedic in each and every unit though.

bigpinekey

While in Jaco someone in our group became ill. We asked the front desk where there was a doctors office and they said the doctor does house calls. Five minutes later an ambulance, emergencias 2000, pulled up with lights on with a doctor, paramedic, and secretary with a credit card machine in hand to collect payment. All this for $120.00

*Lotus

Jaco also has a good clinic and private doctors C.A.R.E.

guru

Ambulance service in Costa Rica.

One thing you will find different in Costa Rica is that no one pulls over for an ambulance. I have followed one for a hour as it slowly made progress on the road from San Jose to Cuidad Quesada lights flashing away. The only car that pulled over was the one driven by THIS gringo.

I have seen this on a number of occasions in different parts of the country. I suspect one reason is that there is no place to pull off on many of the roads (no shoulders and deep culverts). But I managed to find a place to pull off and there are numerous places at the one lane bridges wide enough for the Ticos to pull off.

SO, do not expect quick service if there is a long winding road or lots of traffic. While the medical system in Costa Rica is fairly good the emergency services are like all their infrastructure.

wmaes47

I have seen this occurrence, also… But attribute it to the fact that most police cars and ambulances run with their lights flashing no matter what they are doing.

This would attribute to the callousness and resilience of anyone to move to the side.

Was the siren going??? Was there a victim in the back???

It had me wondering “why” ever since my first trip in “04”.. My heart had stopped on one occasion as I saw the red lights flashing behind me, pulling over, then watching as the police car casually drove past a blank look on my face.

Still weeping
    Bill Maes

terriewat

In Quepos there is a great little Emergency 2000/Proton 2000 Emergency Clinic near the grocery store Pali. Dr Candy & her partner are WONDERFUL. Over the past couple of years we have used them. My daughter used them. Then we took a sick teenager to see them. We were alway treated VERY well. Even on the 9pm Saturday Night trip…they were very kind. They speak English well. They are truely the nicest people in the medical field. USA ER people could take lessons from Dr Candy and group.

I had 2 ER trips for Vertigo “trips”
    with 2 injections and meds….total Cost $50.00.
    My daughter had 2 ER trips for Ear infections…total cost $50.00.
    Young tourist UTI..late on Saturday night….total cost $50.00.

I will recommend Dr Candy to ANYONE!!!!!! On each of these trips …it only took less than 30 minutes in and out of the door.

What a BARGIN!!!!!!

ssure

For some reason the ocean water (or something else) gives me ear infections every time I go to C.R. I’ve been charged $20 – $40 for a visit with meds dispensed for ear infections and for pain control. I have travel coverage but it’s so inexpensive to see a Dr. I don’t bother to make a claim.

By the way, if you too get those ear infections when in C.R. or any tropical place, my Canadian Dr. told me to take a little rubbing alcohol with me and dip the end of my little finger in it and rub it inside the ears when I first feel the problem starting. I’m not giving medical advice here but it works like a charm for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.