Efoy Fuel Cells

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Efoy Fuel Cells

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I asked about a year ago, so it is time to ask again. Has anyone brought an EFOY fuel cell into Costa Rica to power their homestead?

My main interest is understanding how you are importing the fuel cells into the country, from the US or Europe. This German technology has Pura Vida all over it!

Thanks,
    Tom
    Portland, Oregon

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I just took a quick look at their website (www.efoy.com) but nothing there explains just what these things do and how they function. I get it that they deliver electricity, but how? They must consume something, right?

Just what that something is might answer your question about whether they’re being used in Costa Rica and, if not, why not.

raggedjack

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]I just took a quick look at their website (www.efoy.com) but nothing there explains just what these things do and how they function. I get it that they deliver electricity, but how? They must consume something, right?

Just what that something is might answer your question about whether they’re being used in Costa Rica and, if not, why not.[/quote]

They’re generators which run on methanol. Great, I guess, if you own a still…

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation, Jack. Now, is there a source of methanol in Costa Rica and is it cost-beneficial to think of powering one’s homestead on it?

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]I just took a quick look at their website (www.efoy.com) but nothing there explains just what these things do and how they function. I get it that they deliver electricity, but how? They must consume something, right?

Just what that something is might answer your question about whether they’re being used in Costa Rica and, if not, why not.[/quote]

I think Efoy is just getting up and running in the United States. The EEU has approved shipment of their fuel cells all over Europe. I had seen hit and miss information that they are now approved for air shipment in the US. My shipping contact in Costa Rica says that if they are approved for the US, then they can be imported into Costa Rica. I know the US Army used them in Iraqi for both portable power and military hospitals.

See this link for an explanation of their operation and service:
    http://www.efoy.com/en/mobile-homes-faqs.html

You Tube has a video of the caravan they converted in English to drive around on the cells. Their site doesn’t shown very much how you would connect your house to the unit. A friend of mine from Germany says the German website explains much more then the English. They are now available for purchase in the United States so I keep checking every once and a while on the viability of the fuel availability of either bring the fuel from either Spain or Boston.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Okay, so now we know that these things run on ethanol and produce electricity. But do they afford any advantage over a conventionally powered generator?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.