Eco friendly construction methods

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Eco friendly construction methods

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

Finca Luna Nueva is offering a 6 day course in Earth Bag construction, during which the participants will build a 6-meter wide structure. The beauty of this concept is that it is eco-friendly, very inexpensive compared to block and rebar, and will last a very long time. All the details of the event Oct 16-22, are posted on their facebook page under “events” — after looking at some videos of this kind of construction (adobe) it could be a great form of construction for costa rica.

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]after looking at some videos of this kind of construction (adobe) it could be a great form of construction for costa rica.[/quote]

Have you ever seen adobe after it has been subject to rain over time?

[img][/img][img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/292490828_e449adc8d2.jpg[/img]

Just funnion’ you Maravilla. Actually a well maintained adobe can last forever.

maravilla

that’s funny! there are some structures in new mexico that are 500 years old. and earth bag construction is just a bit different than using adobe bricks, but there is adobe on the outside.

maravilla

There is still time to register for Finca Luna Nueva’s Earth Bag construction course. All the details are listed below.

Hands On Earth Bag Building Workshop, hosted by Finca Luna Nueva, on October 17th-22rd. Lead instructor, Chris´Topher ´Gardner, will share his knowledge of building with Super Adobe(Earth Bag) in an interactive course that will cover everything from foundations to different roofing options. This workshop will integrate eco-friendly technologies with modern day construction innovations to form a structure that is cost effective a…nd environmentally attuned. At the end of the week you will have a firm grasp of how to build your own earth bag building.
    Participants will build a 6 meter diameter super Adobe cabin with a reciprocal ferrocement roof.
    Topics :
    Foundations, floating footers, stem walls, drainage, cob, natural plasters, orientation, windows and doors, passive heating and cooling, morpho genesis(shape design), roofing

This workshop will begin at 8 am Monday the 17th of October and finish with lunch Saturday the 22nd.
    Rates will include arrival afternoon of the 16th with dinner.
    Rates are for the course and all meals and 6 nights stay.

Individuals to share a family cabin will be $225 per person
    Casa Luna Single room 1person $350 2 people $500
    Ind. Cabin 1 person $375 2 people $550
    Casa Sombra A/C 1 person $$425 2 people $600

Green season special eco discount to learn ways to house ourselves and care for the earth…

And in espanol:

Manos a la obra al Taller de construccion en Bolsa Tierra, organizado por la Finca Luna Nueva, el 17 de octubre-22rd.Instructor Chris’Topher´ Gardner ‘, compartirá su conocimiento de la construcción con Super Adobe (Bolsa de la Tierra) en un curso interactivo que cubren todo, desde las fundaciones a opciones de techos diferentes. Este taller se integra tecnologías ecologicas con las modernas innovaciones de construcción para formar una estructura que es rentable yacorde al medio ambiente. Al final de la semana tendrá una buena comprensión de cómo construir su propio edificio en bolsa tierra.
    Los participantes construirán un diámetro de 6 metros súpercabina de adobe y techo de ferrocemneto.

temas:
    Fundaciones, loza flotante, paredes madre, drenaje, adobe, yeso natural, orientación, las puertas y ventanas, calefacción y la refrigeración pasiva, morphogénesis (diseño de la forma), material para techos

Este taller comenzará a las 8 am del lunes 17 de octubre y terminar con el almuerzo sábado 22.
    Las tarifas incluyen la tarde la llegada del 16 con la cena.
    Las tarifas son para el curso y la estancia todas las comidas y 6 noches.

Las personas que comparten una cabaña de la familia será de $ 225 por persona
    Casa Luna 1person simple US $ 350 2 personas $ 500
    Cabina Ind. 1 persona $ 375 2 personas $ 550
    Casa Sombra A / C 1 persona $ $ 425 2 personas $ 600

Temporada baja descuento eco especial para aprender a nosotros mismos la casa y cuidar de la tierra …

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s been a long time since I looked into this but if I remember correctly, it is no longer possible to get a building permit to build an adobe home in Costa Rica, is that not right?

Anybody know for sure?

Scott

maravilla

Adobe is illegal in CR. Super Adobe is new technology that is under review of the collegio. We build everything under 40 meters to avoid perturbing the collegio before they make their ruling.

postalx

[quote=”maravilla”]Adobe is illegal in CR. Super Adobe is new technology that is under review of the collegio. We build everything under 40 meters to avoid perturbing the collegio before they make their ruling.[/quote]

One of the ideal materials for earthbag/tube construction is ‘scoria’ or volcanic rock. It is prized for its insulative value, lightness of weight and compacting characteristics.

As of yet, I have been unable to find a commercially available source for processed scoria in CR. As I would like to employ this building method in Nosara, any leads to a source would be greatly appreciated. 💡

maravilla

you are the second person who has inquired about scoria. i asked the chief executive farmer at finca luna nueva if this was available and he didn’t seem to think it was, but. . . it is something we would have to look into because with all the volcanoes in this country you would think it would be available in abundance. i’ll check into it and let you know.

I think earth homes are a great idea and have been looking at the concepts and such, but if its not allowed in CR, what do you think of the bamboo constructed houses? And are there any firms in CR that specialize in this?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Christy112002″]I think earth homes are a great idea and have been looking at the concepts and such, but if its not allowed in CR, what do you think of the bamboo constructed houses? And are there any firms in CR that specialize in this?[/quote]

Yes.

maravilla

i know someone who is building a 5000 sq ft bamboo home and is using an architect from SJO.

Yes.[/quote]

David, could you perhaps elaborate a little? As in, some company names or architects? Thank you 😀 Or anyone else if they know particulars.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.