Earthquakes in Costa Rica and San Francisco

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Earthquakes in Costa Rica and San Francisco

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

We have [url=http://noticias.lainformacion.com/catastrofes-y-accidentes/terremoto/costa-rica-registro-un-promedio-de-cuatro-sismos-al-dia-en-octubre_aAlQEUCYNpVrDQYehfUD5/]hundreds of small earthquakes in Costa Rica every year[/url] but thankfully no big ones and it’s rare for someone to be injured.

But….

According to the Seismological Society of America:

[url=http://www.nature.com/news/san-francisco-due-for-a-shake-up-1.15244]San Francisco due for a shake-up[/url]. Study of earthquake cycles suggests a coming period of greater seismic activity in the Bay Area.

“Seismic activity in the San Francisco bay region of California appears to follow a cyclical pattern, and the region may be due for a big quake or a cluster of large earthquakes in coming decades, geologists report today…”

Do any of our VIP Members worry about earthquakes in Costa Rica?

costaricabill
    Participant

Scott – “but thankfully no big ones”
    reference: 5 Sep 2012, Samara earthquake estimated at 7.6, lasted over 50 seconds, fortunately it was approx 40 miles deep and the energy radiated outwards over a very large area (San Jose & Puntarenas had more damage than Samara) and injuries were minimal.

I try not to worry about things I have absolutely no control over.

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”costaricabill”]I try not to worry about things I have absolutely no control over.[/quote]

Which makes you a very sensible person and a very rare one here at WLCR.[/quote]

only according to the world of sweikert..

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”][quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”costaricabill”]I try not to worry about things I have absolutely no control over.[/quote]

Which makes you a very sensible person and a very rare one here at WLCR.[/quote]

only according to the world of sweikert..
    [/quote]

ddavid -not sure if you are saying that it is beneficial to worry about things over which you have no control, or that I am not a sensible person?
    I concur that it is all to often necessary to be “concerned” about things that are happening in our big, bad world or your (my) personal world, but to me “worry” and “concern” are two different things.

bogino
    Participant

I’ve always wondered: Given the choice would you rather have to deal with an earthquake which you never know when it’s coming or would you rather deal with a tornado or hurricane watching it come straight at you. I would take the earthquake any day. The most terrifying for me would be a tornado.

waggoner41

Having lived in California one of the items on my check list was quakes. on the Pacific Rim I’d rather live where there are swarms of smaller quakes rather than wait for a big one.

[img]http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/ks3/webdav/site/GSL/shared/images/education_and_careers/RockCycle/Processes/Deformation/Earthquake%20damage.jpg[/img]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.