Earthquakes 7/23/11

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Earthquakes 7/23/11

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Doug Ward

This is strange. I saw the ceiling fans swing this morning and went to http://newsblogged.com/
    It was a little 4.7 all the way down in Panama !
    An hour later my desk wiggled just a tad, it was a 4.9 and I barely felt it at all. It was 44 miles west of Liberia.That puts it around Flamingo only a couple of hours away. Strange.
    Yes. I’m no seismologist.

waggoner41

The density of the rock formations between you and the epicenter determine how much of a shock you will feel.

and yes, I’m no seismologist.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I, too, am no seismologist, so make of it what you will.

We have neighbors less than a kilometer away. Their home is on the same face of the same ridge as our own. At least twice a month, one of them calls to ask if we just felt that. And we didn’t.

The conclusion we’ve drawn is either that they are situated in a much more “fluid” area than we are or else we’re borderline brain dead. It could go either way.

maravilla

things were swaying at my house north of san ramon for a good 15 seconds. thought i was having a dizzy spell until i saw the chandelier swinging.

johnr

I often stay at some condo’s in Ocotal and go into Coco for breakfast. People ask – “Wow did you feel that earthquake this (Morning / Last Night)?”

Uh no.

The the tsunami warnings are alwasy a hoot – I’ll go in for dinner and people are packing up trucks with household goods and heading inland. The next morning – the tsunami raised the water 1/2″ this morning.:lol:

Not saying they don’t or couldn’t happen – just the reaction is outstanding!

maravilla

most people have never lived in an earthquake zone so they can be quite terrifying. the problem with terremotos is that you don’t know if or when they will stop. i remember the earthquake in Alaska — after about 30 seconds, we finally ran outside, and that sucker went on for another 4 minutes and i could see the telephone poles whipping back and forth. i moved to colorado from california because there were no earthquakes in CO, and now look where i’m living. what was i thinking??????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.