Driving to Tambor

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Driving to Tambor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

I was thinking of driving to Tambor and I have a couple options to start from. If I flew into Liberia, does anyone know how long of a drive by car or bus this maybe. Also , I can fly into San Jose instead and drive all the way or drive & use the ferry. How long will that take driving from San Jose vs the drive & ferry. Small planes I will not do .

Thanks

GringoTico

From Liberia it’s probably not more than a 3-4 hour drive, depending on the road conditions. From San Jose it’s more like 5-6. Using the ferry saves on distance, but not time.

Sansa and Nature Air fly to Tambor and their planes are not that small. It will take about 25 minutes, and to my knowledge Sansa has a perfect safety record (I don’t know much about Nature Air). Excellent pilots.

But if you feel safer braving the precipitous curves, the dangerous traffic and the horrendous road conditions from Paquera to Tambor, then by all means…

Charlie

Ok, thanks for the info on the time from driving vs the ferry, if it doesn’t save time, I may just drive all the way.

GringoTico

It definitely won’t save time. It used to, before they built the bridge. The reason is you have to get there well before the sailing time to get in line. About an hour will do. Too far back in line and you’ll have to wait for the next ferry.

Since the time is the same, it’s just the cost of gas vs. the cost of the ferry. I don’t know how that works out, but I enjoy the ferry ride.

Have a great time in Tambor! Not the best beach there, but it’s definitely the best all-inclusive resort in CR. Not a good time to go on a diet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.