Driving to Costa Rica and customs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Driving to Costa Rica and customs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

If I wanted to drive my household goods from the U.S. to Costa Rica, what would I encounter with customs in the various countries along the way? I have expensive collectables, jewelry, fine art, etc.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Frankly, I think you would probably lose the stuff LONG before you got to Costa Rica.

This is NOT a sensible idea unless you plan on eating, sleeping, washing, showering and going to the bathroom inside your car and never, ever, ever leaving it – even for a minute.

Scott

Actually, Scott, there will be three of us (I’m doing most of the planning). I’d thought to carry the valuables into the hotel at night; of course, someone would be with them in the vehicle during the day. However, from your reply, it sounds as though we very well might not make it from the vehicle into the hotel and that the goods that were left in the vehicle might not make it through the night. 🙁

This brings up another question. How safe is a home in an ungated community in the mountains outside of San Jose?

Andrew
    Keymaster

My comment was that your goods might not actually get to Costa Rica… Meaning that they will be stolen BEFORE they get here.

You’ve got to move your “valuables” from car to hotel, from hotel to car, people will see you, immigration and customs officials will inspect your “valuables” and may have “friends” that would be very interested in relieving you of them.

Keep your life simple, travel down with the bare necessities and if you really need the jewelry and collectibles at some later stage, which you don’t, then ship them down here INSURED by plane or whatever other method.

This way you, AND your friends can focus on the travel experience and not worry about losing “valuables.”

As for INSIDE Costa Rica, if you are living in an ungated community in the mountains – surrounded by people who’s family income is about $250-$350 per month – unless you have a very good security system, I honestly don’t think these “valuables” will be around for too long.

Once again, I would encourage you to focus on the experience of living in Costa Rica and NOT bring a whole boatload of “valuables” to worry about…

Scott

Whew! Good info, Scott! Thank you very much. 🙂

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marilyn, I just posted a pretty comprehensive reply about moving your stuff on this forum. Take a look.

I would certainly second Scott’s reply. Driving here would be a nightmare and it might not save you any money. Even with three of you, on the road you’d be a lucrative target for bandits.

As for security in an ungated community in the mountains around San Jose, that’s exactly where we live, and so far we have had no problems whatsoever — in six months. We don’t leave doors unlocked, and we do not advertise our wealth any more than necessary. We’ve also just installed a high-tech film to the inside of our windows that is guaranteed to be vandal-proof. It’s an alternative to bars the thought of which we hate.

A couple of months ago, friends had their car (“fortunately” insured by INS) stolen. The bureaucratic nightmare of processing a claim for the loss has convinced us to take aggressive measures to see that it doesn’t happen to us.

We have made an effort to get to know as many of our neighbors as possible. They’re warm and friendly people, and we figure that they may be less likely to rob us if there’s a personal relationship.

Siamcat

Hi David,

How do I get more information about the “high tech film” you have used on your windows? Thanks, Joan

Edited on Apr 04, 2006 09:26

Thank you, David! I’m beginning to think that having beautiful (expensive) things is definitely not the way to go. 🙁 I hate hassles! The idea of hassling insurance companies doesn’t thrill me.

You said you’d just posted an extensive answer in this forum; this is the only post I see. Can you direct me, please?

What, exactly, is this high-tech film? In what type of store is it bought?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The security film we have had installed is sold only on an “installed” basis. Contact info@controlsolar.com and direct your e-mail to the attention of Janna Piedrahita. Put her name on the Subject line. Her cell number is: 396-9049. Janna’s English is limited, but you’ll get along.

There are many choices of tint, light rejection and thickness (equals security). All reject 98% of ultraviolet light to protect your furniture.

Look at the discussion of moving to Costa Rica for my insights into our own experience.

Re

As for INSIDE Costa Rica, if you are living in an ungated community in the mountains – surrounded by people who’s family income is about $250-$350 per month – unless you have a very good security system, I honestly don’t think these “valuables” will be around for too long.

HI, this really amazed me to read this! when you say, “the mountains” are you meaning towns like Grecia and San Ramon and their…. oh let’s say close outskirts? Is a safe life there really that exclusive? I hope I”m just not understanding this! I had no idea! Any clarity or expanding on this would be great….thanks, Cathy

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please don’t misunderstand me, I have NEVER been robbed in Costa Rica but you do need to use your “common sense” which as they say, is not so common… Take sensible precautions and you should be fine.

Scott

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.